Stable multiplayer. (CC3 vs. CM)

Sten

Hi.

I recently got really good answers from this board to my post about scenario balance in CC3 vs. CM. Even BTS answered, and they had apparently given this some thought and had some really good ideas about how to avoid this problem in CM. Thanks.

Encouraged by this, I thought I'd ask something else about CC3, which might bear some relevance to CM. Here goes.

I've been trying to play CC3 multiplayer something like 70 times. I've been able to finish 1(!) game. This is solely due to lost connections. The game seems to lose connection no matter who hosts, which computers are involved or what ISP the players are using. This could be due to inept beta-testing or problems that have arisen after the game went gold.

Now, what measures will CM and BTS take to avoid this?

Does anyone know if this problem in CC3 will be adressed? When?

Thanks /

Sten

Guest Big Time Software

All we can say is that we will test out all options CM offers, and not ship if they don't work.

But no matter what we do games will be cut off due to the instability of the Internet. And for that we have a big advantage over any RTS game, include CC3...

CM is turnbased, and that means that games are regularly saved to disk. This allows an interrupted game to be restarted with minimal loss of time, perhaps as little as getting a new connection established (depends on circumstances). And since CM is not constantly passing info back and forth, like RT games, there is less chance that a connection will fail since it will basically only be needed for a minute or two every 5-15 minutes (depending on Planning turn length).

Our commitment to quality and CM's game design will make for a good Internet multiplayer experience for sure.

Steve

Definately put in the modem to modem direct connection. My friend and I play CC3 using this all the time. We've had more problems like what Sten has described trying to play the Close Combat series over the internet vs. direct modem. We've been playing CC3 (probably 12 or more separate occasions now) with direct modem connection and only ever had a problem once. By comparison, when CC1 first came you had no choice but to play via inernet, or some other screwy method which was very similar to playing over the internet (had to use TCP/IP and other such balognia). IT SUCKED. WE HAD PROBLEMS ALL OF THE TYPE SIMILAR TO WHAT STEN HAS DESCRIBED ALL OF THE TIME. Bottom line is that I would highly recommend that direct modem to modem be an option. For those of us that play our games locally it seems to work much better than bothering with the internet type connection crap. Thanks.

Mike D.

mikester@ibm.net

The problems are still persisting. Although yesterday I managed to play a full game without a crash (hallelujah!). That was from my T3-line at work, but nontheless. Does anyone know if Microsoft is working on the problem?

Sten

I think we should hold a moment of silence for all the brave players of the Close Combat series, who so valiently fought through the hedgrows of Normandy and over the rivers to Arnhem following their patron saint Atomic who went on to the Eastern front leaving many behind. Not that they weren't ready or willing to fight mind you, but on what terms! I admit I am among those who have lost the faith, no longer do I blindly follow Atomic through battle after battle as I had done so many times before. I found others like me wandering the Zone, disheartened and disallusioned, without support we felt like cannon fodder, but there is still hope. For amoung us are many skilled and able soldiers who pick through the ruins Atomic left us and hope to build a better game.

Check out CC3.gamestats.com They are working on a patch to fix a lot of the problems with CC3. I doubt they can do anything for the games tendency to crash during multiplayer over internet but I think a lot of the basic gameplay problems can be dealt with.

Good luck and good hunting.

Guest Big Time Software

Sorry, but no modem to modem play in CM. Here are the reasons:

1. We have to do special coding x2 platforms. Not easy, and certainly VERY time consuming.

2. Modem to modem play is difficult to code cleanly because of the hardware involved, so it too has the potential for connection problems.

3. CM's game system means you WON'T have the problems that RT games, CC3 included, have with disconnecting people. Even IF CM booted players all the time (which we would fix!!!), the save game feature means you get right back into the game, instead of having to start over. Oh, and lag problems aren't an issue for CM either.

4. Not many people will use a modem to modem solution. Never have, never will. Now that the Internet is out there, the Internet is THE way to. It offers cross platform compatibility, easier setup, easier testing, easier maintaining, easier code fixing, and NON-TOLL calls!!! I don't think I would EVER play someone in, say, the Ukraine via modem, but I certainly would over the Internet.

5. We have to test and support each and every feature that goes into CM. Modem to Modem is a real bitch to test and debug. That means DELAYS for CM release. If there were no Internet we might do it, but because the Internet will WORK FINE, there is no reason to spend the time on it.

The CC3 problems, though very real and frustrating for you folks, are a non issue so far as CM is concerned.

Hope that clears some stuff up for you :)

Steve

BTS,

I don't care how you implement multiplayer so long as it works. As I stated in my previous post the initial Close Combat multiplayer implementation via the internet totally sucked. Sounds like from Stens comments it still does. As you have stated, however, CM is a different animal, i.e not real time. So hopefully your head to head implementation via the internet will work smoothly. Since my friend and I live locally, modem to modem is best for us. But if you make the internet connection work smoothly, that will be fine too. Bottom line is to not repeat the mistakes of those that have gone before you and it sounds like you don't intend to do that. smile.gif

Regards,

Mike D

Guest John Maragoudakis

Chrystal clear thinking from Big Time. Multiplayer is covered by internet access. Modem to modem access would only help those with no isp and a gang of friends interested in the same game in the same city. I wouldn't think that applies to too many people.

[This message has been edited by John Maragoudakis (edited 02-17-99).]