Mod and Patch downloading and installing instructions

Have spent quite a bit of time looking for full instructions but everything I have found seems written in shorthand and uses undefined words. For example, I downloaded a mod and tried to follow the brief instructions concerning a "z folder". None of my game folders have that designation so what is that about? Going by the comments I was not the only one with a problem getting the damm thing to work.

As for the patch, this "BEFORE installing the patch and make sure that you are installing into the correct directory." Which is self explanatory and fairly obvious but fails to say how that is done. Plus how do you know that the patch has been installed and is operating?

C'mon, I'm not stupid but scrape by with the puter stuff, huge amounts of time must be spent doing patches and mods so how about a few more minutes finishing off a good job?