Gold Problem Again

I don't understand it, the game works at one point, and then 3 days later I click on the shortcut icon and the game doesn't want to start. This is getting to be quite disappointing since I paid $35.00 for frustration. With hindsight being 20/20 I would have stayed with the regular Global Conflict and not gone through this frustration of each time I want to play I have to do another reinstall. It just doesn't make sense. I have a system that is really gamer friendly and plays everything from all of the EA online games, matrix games, HPS, Slitherine etc.

Thats tough, and i can understand your feelings.

I know it won't help you or make you feel any better, but i never experienced anything like this, and i run the game since the start of the beta phase.

I wish you all the best, and that you (together with the helpdesk) will be able to find soon the reason and solution for this oddity.

edit:

btw: i'm using avira free antivirus:

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

thanks for reply, how is Avira compared to AVG?

Its just bothersome when I have this game and problems with avg even when i have the exceptions. I am doing some tests and does anyone know that avg does a scan of the computer and they have a heuristics box, should i leave that unchecked when scanning the computer?

If you want to AVOID some false positives, then UNCHECKING that 'Use Heuristics' box is what you want to do.

The idea behind heuristics is to possibly catch things that have the appearance of a virus/trojan without having to have an explicit 'signature definition' to say that this file is a virus/trojan. This could possibly catch virus/trojans that don't have a specific virus definition in the security vendor's database. I assume that one of the triggers for heuristics is encryption within the file (since some viruses and trojans do this) and that is possibly why some of the files are getting tagged with the 'Win32/heur' designation.

I believe with AVG you can exclude a 'whole path' from being scanned, especially by the 'resident shield', which is what will catch most viruses/trojans. Try to exclude the entire path for 'GOLD' edition and see if that changes anything.

Thanks scrull for the quick reply, I use the avg and what I did was the heuristics box was checked under the options section of how to schedule your computer scans. I don't scan my computer much and then also what the AVG program is picking up is the

sc2glib.dll file in the game of Gold. I tried ignore and that doesn't work so I went into the section of advanced settings and I placed this specific file in the exception list and it seems to work. However, should I also place the Gold application start up file in the exception list? I sent a report to AVG and I was wondering if anyone else could send a report to AVG about this specific file. AVG gets a real good write up for free software and I like using it.

By the way, since I have this heuristics unchecked will this create a problem with catching things?

Thanks for your help - lots of fun - Man when this happens i get adhd trying to figure it out

With anti-virus security programs you have 'definitions' and 'heuristics'. The 'signature definitions' are the updates you get every few (or every) days that list specific data to identify a virus (though they can generate false positives with the way the data is matched). Heuristics is a broad method of "guessing" what might be a virus, in order to possibly catch new virus variants that don't have a specific 'signature' yet. However this broad guessing can lead to an increased number of false positives.

So turning off heuristics may not really be a huge security hole since most heuristics probably generate more false positives than actually catching new viruses or trojans. Most viruses are probably going to be caught with a specific definition.

With AVG you may need to set TWO sets of exceptions. One for the 'scanner' and the other for 'Resident Shield'.

thanks for reply, how is Avira compared to AVG?

Its just bothersome when I have this game and problems with avg even when i have the exceptions. I am doing some tests and does anyone know that avg does a scan of the computer and they have a heuristics box, should i leave that unchecked when scanning the computer?

I don't know AVG, but Avira is one (if not the) the best german anti-virus software.

here the awards it constantly wins:

http://www.avira.com/en/company-awards

here a list of reference users:

http://www.avira.com/en/company-references