Courage & Fortitude again...

Ok, but just to confirm: One cannot blow up mines by themsellves with charges. So, this is a "trick" that only works if there is a minefield (or presumably something else that can be targeted by engineers) on top of the minefield - regardless of whether the minefield is AT or AP.

Ok, but just to confirm: One cannot blow up mines by themsellves with charges. So, this is a "trick" that only works if there is a minefield (or presumably something else that can be targeted by engineers) on top of the minefield - regardless of whether the minefield is AT or AP.

I assume so. Haven't tried if they can blow up marked minefields.

• 3 months later...

FINALLY managed a total victory in "School Of Hard Knocks"- very happy about that.

The Germans hammered the first three platoons that tried to cross the bridge- I managed to take out all the AT guns w/o a loss to my tanks- what did happen, however, was that the German mortars eventually collapsed the bridge and 2 of my tanks could not cross and support the attack. They were forced to stay on the N bank and fire at any targets of oppurtunity. They did useful work suppressing a number of positions while the other 3 Shermans led the charge on the ridge.

This is what I did right, from my observations...

When I locate an AT gun, I allocated no fewer than 3 support elements. I went with Heavy/short barrages and that worked like a charm. I saved my medium mortars and the 105's for those jobs. The 60mm mortars I saved for any MG42 I could spot.

As soon as I had a few infantry squads on the opposite bank, I laid a heavy smoke screen in front of the German positions on the ridge, with the 105 batteries. That seriously hampered his observer's ability to continue to pound my infantry.

2 of my tanks swung around the left flank of the Germans on the ridge, slowly making their away along the trench lines and they did splendid work. I managed to move a few squads on to the ridge despite harrassment to my flanks from German remnants, and they cleaned out most of the trenches on the German left before they threw in the towel.

Revenge is sweet.

"the destruction of the mines only happens if there is a barbed wire or other object on top of the minefield"

We're sure this is accurate? People post that they can destroy minefields with charges, but this is a rather important qualification.

Without another object which is susceptible to destruction by explosive charges being in the same tile as the mine field, mine fields cannot be detonated by engineeers utilizing explosive charges. The only object I've run into which presented a testable opportunity has been barbed wire. I don't know if a section of hedge or wall would result in the sympathetic detonation observed with wire.