Whata disaster installing this game

Deputy

I TRIED to install Theatre of War Kursk today. As it was installing AVG picked up the updater as a virus described as Win32/DH unknown virus. Even after I told AVG to ignore it, it disabled the updater. Not a big deal, as I had all the current patches downloaded. But something Battlefront needs to look into. After I got Kursk installed and patched and Caen installed, I tried to install the hotfix for Caen. When I went to where Battle for Caen was SUPPOSED to be installed, the only thing there was the executeable. I tried a reboot, but still no files to overwrite in the Battle for Caen folder. No files in the Battle for Kursk folder either. So I had to uninstall everything and start over. When I uninstalled, the only license they asked me for was the one for Battle for Caen. The Battle for Kursk didn't even show up in the Windows uninstaller. Someone at Battlefront needs to get their poop together with this game. I never had this kind of problem previously.

Okay...I sorted out where the files are. Battlefront uses an ICON instead of a standard Windows Folder for the flile location. And Caen installs directly into the Kursk folder. No idea why the installer asks if you want it located somewhere else. It won't work unless it's in the Kursk folder.

AVG is STILL saying the updater is a virus. Maybe I can zip that executeable so that AVG doesn't keep nagging me about it.

AVG is giving you "false positives". The 'win32/heur' is actually a generic designation for files its heuristics ("guessing engine") decide are virus/trojans because it can't decipher their encryption.

It's probably best to temporarily disable any real-time protection in AVG and then turn it on after activating the license key. You'll then either want to disable the 'heuristics' or set 'exceptions' within AVG for some of the files within TOW Kursk/Caen so that they don't get quarantined.

The Caen module is just an expansion that requires the files of Kursk to run at all. It only have a few (though large) files to update some of the data and scenarios/ops to support Caen.

The "icon for a folder" seems to have been something that 1C decided on that we didn't change (you'll notice that the folder installs in a '1C Company' subdirectory of Battlefront). Theatre of War 3 does the same thing.

AVG is giving you "false positives". The 'win32/heur' is actually a generic designation for files its heuristics ("guessing engine") decide are virus/trojans because it can't decipher their encryption.

It's probably best to temporarily disable any real-time protection in AVG and then turn it on after activating the license key. You'll then either want to disable the 'heuristics' or set 'exceptions' within AVG for some of the files within TOW Kursk/Caen so that they don't get quarantined.

The Caen module is just an expansion that requires the files of Kursk to run at all. It only have a few (though large) files to update some of the data and scenarios/ops to support Caen.

The "icon for a folder" seems to have been something that 1C decided on that we didn't change (you'll notice that the folder installs in a '1C Company' subdirectory of Battlefront). Theatre of War 3 does the same thing.

As you said, I disabled realtime protection temporarily for the full install of both games. After that I zipped the update file and AVG doesn't pick it up any more. 1C should be shot with a King Tiger tank for making an icon a folder. It can't get more confusing than that. :D

BTW...I REALLY like the game now that it's installed and I figured everything out. ;)