Two issues - hand to hand combat and auto surrendering

The issues are seperate btw.

First off - Ok we dont have hand to hand. I wish there would be some fix, even a fudge like the Cmx1 knock, slap, and head jerk back. Was hand to hand really that rare that it can be overlooked? I feel that while it wasnt exactly common, I've heard of plenty of accounts. Would I be wrong in assuming that maybe this issue wasnt as important when this engine was first designed making CMSF?

And even without hand to hand, I wish my troops would be more aggressive in throwing grenades. As it is now in a PBEM, I have several groups of men, most of them with no ammunition whatsoever but 4-6 grenades. They're under my command, sitting there. Some broken but in command, some fine now. Some in buildings, some not. However all are within 30m, some only 5-10m away.

Second -

Playing La Grande Hameau against someone as the US. Both he and I were surprised when I eliminated all of his troops the game didnt autosurrender for him. He ventured the idea that perhaps it was to give the Axis player more time to inflict casualties towards that magic 30%. Especially since the Axis player is given a lot of minefields, and indeed in this case brilliant use of his minefields wreaked havoc on my troops. Best use of it I've seen so far- He placed them mostly in the streets between buildings. So most of the casualties were from troops running into buildings after firefights, going to the next position. Often it seemed like things were clear and thereby they werent 'hunting' or 'assaulting'. Another few mines were placed in front of a hedgerow, and didn't come into play in the previous firefight over the hedgerow. However when my men ran up to capture the dazed, shocked Georgian conscripts mines took a few more boys lives.

Still, I feel the game should auto surrrender at least one minute after the losing player runs out of troops. I spent 3 minutes hunting around the village like a moron until I finally asked if he had anyone..

1. Hand to Hand.

I watch for this in the threads and nothing much has been said for a while.

The last I saw pre release was that some form of abstract Hand to Hand was supposed to be in, but I've never seen it, nor seen it in an AAR or talked about here. So what does happen now? For me squads die from fire or break.

BFC did say, before release, that Hand to Hand is something that they will look at in a future release. They anticipate it being significant work to get the look right in a 1: representation.

2. That sounds like it may be a scenario designer decision. Surrenders are obviously in, but some designer give reinforcements that don't arrive so as to delay the surender. If you triggered mines in your post battle sweep then that mey have been what tey were after; if not then I dont know what happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this old thread (though it is shorter then I thought), to add that auto-surrender seems not to work as expected for me too.

In the Farm tournament I had 3 (German) rifle men left, in one squad, in panic, no one else. No autosurrender. Next turn some US soldiers came near, all 3 put up their hands - no autosurrender.... Next turn, one of the men disappeared (white flag) - no auto surrender. Next turn the last to men managed to surrender - no men left. Awaiting the return file - but I expected my troops to surrender a bit sooner. Last 5 turns I could do nothing else then watch my men run, cower and surrender and hit next turn....

I of course don't know the parameters of the scenario, but this "fight to the last man" is a bit odd.

edit: nope, even with no men left, I refuse to surrender.....

edit2: after about 5 turns of nothing, I hit the surrender key. I suspect it would have gone on for another 10 minutes otherwise.