Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943 or Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy??

I don't know which game to get first. What's the difference, in terms of gameplay??

Battlefront.com (are they still called "Big Time Software"??) won't give me an answer, telling me to check the forums. So I'm asking: which should I get first?

Which is closer in spirit to the ol' Close Combat series??

TIA!!

Battlefront.com is not called Big Time Software anymore. And in addition to asking here, "they" also told you that you can download free demos of both, and make up your own mind, of course :)www.battlefront.com/demos

I'd still need to know which one to install first! :P

Seriously, I'm also interested in others' more expert opinions because it's actually easier for me to just read a review than try out things myself. Like, even if a restaurant is giving out free samples, I'd still check my Zaggat's first! :D

Well after buying the Kursk-Caen bundle, I now find out that there are little if any mods available and Battlefront seems more interested in the Korea version. So this game is probably vaporware and nothing more is going to be released for it. What you see is what you get. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Only bugs I've found is an occasional crash to desktop while a mission is loading, and one that was present in the first version of the mission generator not giving you the mission you asked for. Even if I delete all previous missions, when I ask for an armored mission, I end up with infantry.

The "fix" or I should say workaround, is to ONLY use the "Simple Editor" and custom-build a mission the way you want it. That is fast and easy to do. The other problem with the mission generator is the number of units you are allocated or allowed to select is VERY skimpy. That was a complaint from the past that is still present.

Another problem still present is the game lags VERY badly in some scenarios when playing a campaign. I'm surprised they haven't fixed that, since it was a complaint by MANY people when the game was first released that resulted in a lot of folks just deleting the game from their comps until someone fixed the problem. Even folks with high-powered computers had this problem. Very possibly that was what has killed sales of this game and why they are bundling the Caen upgrade as a package deal.

So I end up playing only "Simple Editor" scenarios I create myself.:D

What it actually boils down to is I am only using 1/3rd of the features of the game. Fortunately, the "Simple Editor" works good and is pretty enjoyable.

Oh wow, thanks again, Deputy. I really hate it when companies don't fix their sh!t but...hmm...if you don't buy it, then they claim no one wants wargames -- but if you buy it, then they will claim no one cares about little bugs here and there!

Oh well...hope I don't experience any problems...I'm only returning to wargaming after Combat Mission: Barbarossa from like four-five years ago so Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943 seems impressive!