PBEM game crashes at second new pw prompt for opponent

I am playing yet another game with a friend of mine. We have had three previous games that were successful but we just ran into a problem. We are playing the scenario "The Crossroads at Monthardrou". I started the game, entering my new pw and sending him turn 001. He created a new pw and sent me back turn 002. I setup my forces (I'm playing the Germans) and sent him turn 003. When my friend opens the file he is prompted for "New Password" again, which is odd, no matter what he enters the game locks up.

I have all the turns and both our passwords if you would like them for testing or bug investigation. We are running the patched game.

Update:

We tried it again - this time with him starting the game and sending me turns. Same problem. Turns out it was the US setup that is failing to load. So if I start the game as the Germans I get to setup fine and then send it to him and he cannot load the game. If he starts the game, as the US, then when it gets to his setup it fails to start. Just to be sure it is not his machine I tried to setup his turn on my machine. No luck. Here is what happens:

The loading screen comes up and the progress bar goes to 29% and sits there like normal. After a while it makes progress and gets to 32% and sits there for a long time (this is unusual) then it makes more progress and gets to some where in the 50% range and sits there again for a long time (again never seen that before). Then it makes more progress and gets to somewhere in the 60% range and sits again for a long time (again never seen that before either). Finally is finishes and asks for the password. I enter the password and it shows the busy cursor except it never comes back. I wanted 5min to see if it would before I had to kill it.

My friend and I are happily playing Huzzar! right now, which is bigger so it seems like something specific to this scenario is causing the game fits.

My machine specs are thus:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (64 bit)

HP model a6500f

AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core Processor 1.8GHz

4 Gb RAM

with and upgraded video card: Radeon HD 6770 with 1Gb memory

My machine specs are thus:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (64 bit)

HP model a6500f

AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core Processor 1.8GHz

4 Gb RAM

with and upgraded video card: Radeon HD 6770 with 1Gb memory

My PBEM partner's machine specs are:

Vista 64.

Intel i7 Quad Core

12 GB memory

Radeon HD 4600

2.67GHz

• 2 months later...
Anyone? Help please :)

I am sorry to say we never found a solution to our problem and restarting again did not help. All I can say is I hope they found a fix and it made it into the patch that is due out shortly after the CW module.

Not sure what jeep is experiencing but I started a new cross roads scenario and sent it to my friend this morning. With luck he will play his half tonight and I can play mine tomorrow morning. If all goes well we will know if our case is fixed tomorrow some time. I will report back when I have new info.

Cool, thanks.

If you've been having PBEM problems, jeep, please give it a shot with a PBEM *started* with 1.10 and let me know if you're still having the issue, and if it's only with one PBEM partner, or what. More detail will give us more to work with.

OK, we tried again and it failed again. But we got further this time. My friend Stephen was able to use his pw to get to the setup screen create is orders and press the big red button. Then the game locks up and never comes back.

We have saved turns - probably the most interesting would be the one that locks up after you press the big red button.

Hi Phil,

I'll try it with the new patch also. It will take a bit since the person I (am trying to) play against is out of town. I have only tried with him, and that is why I said is doesn't work period. Thanks for your help in advance. I really need this to work since playing against my brother is why I bought the second copy of the game.

Ian,

Do you-or your opponent-happen to have in the installation folder temporary files created (filenames which start with tempfile) ?

Like many folks i experienced crashes-or the file wasn't actually created in the 'Outgoing Email' folder-when i hit the red button in about 20% of the pbem turns i played.Then someone suggested to delete those files,which i did. And no more crashes...That happened using 1.01.

Today-using 1.10[with a pbem file converted from 1.01,though] i experienced the first crash in a long,long time.When i checked the installation folder i noticed 2 tempfiles. I can't stick my neck out for it but there seems to be a direct connection between the creation of tempfiles and game crashes..

OK 2nd test done - same result. After setting up units and initial orders pressing the big red button caused the game to lock up.

Phil I will upload the game files to an accessible place for you and email the URL and the pws.

Ian,

Do you-or your opponent-happen to have in the installation folder temporary files created (filenames which start with tempfile) ?

Sorry I missed that post before trying this but as it turns out Daisy (who helped me out) already knew about that and made sure he checked that directory before trying the test. Thanks though.

Phil, what is the story regarding the temp files should we be cleaning them up when they appear? I am not at home so I cannot verify if I have or do not have such files.

No temp files on my system either. I thing I did notice is that most of the CMBN files are showing up as shared on my system (windows XP). Not sure how this happened, since I never did it manually. I can't seem to un-share them either. This could be totally unrelated...

Temp files are files where the "final" version of the file couldn't be created for whatever reason. This happens occasionally, usually due to file system stuff. It would be odd if they caused problems.

Your CMBN files should *not* be showing up as shared, unless you're sharing them. Also odd.

We are playing the scenario "The Crossroads at Monthardrou"

For what it is worth. This is WEGO against the AI.

This is one of the scenario's that locks up the game. I load up the game and at the setup screen do a save 001. I then moved a few units and hit the "red go" button. Worked fine. Exited the game and loaded the 001 save, hit the "red go" button and the cursor turns into a busy one. Do the "three finger salute" and get back to desk top and windows has a "not responding" message for CM.

Not all the scenarios will lock up like this. Am trying to establish which ones will play and which won't. :)