Playing Battles or Campaigns?

Hello All:

Wondering what most of you play? I really like the idea of the historical campaigns but for some reason I cannot seem to stick with one. It seems I need a human opponent to really get into it and as we don't have H2H campaign play I am just playing scenarios using PBEM now.

Wondering if you are like this or if you can get really into campaign play against the AI.

Thanks,

Gerry

Hello All:

Wondering what most of you play? I really like the idea of the historical campaigns but for some reason I cannot seem to stick with one. It seems I need a human opponent to really get into it and as we don't have H2H campaign play I am just playing scenarios using PBEM now.

Wondering if you are like this or if you can get really into campaign play against the AI.

Thanks,

Gerry

Like you, I prefer to play PBEM. its the only way to play and get a thrill.

Playing well against a AI, means nothing, its like playing a child, a win is almost automatic. It is not going to match wits with you.

But Campaign Play is not bad, first I like to play at times when PBEM files are not available, Second, would you really want to play a long drawn out campaign PBEM, that would take forever, plus if you were losing, that would be a long time to finish it up if you knew you are beyond a point of turning it into a good match.

Plus Campaigns are really designed with the focus you are against the AI at the moment. So some of the designers do a good job of making it challenging vs the AI. They are much better now than the old ones from years ago, but still lack things that can only be done by playing HtoH. It Rules.

I love the option of both but campaigns are the only real way I am able to immerse myself fully into the concept of the game. The very nature of the linked missions and the the way casualties and losses are tracked means I can sink myself into the game. I'm not one of these people who can spend half hour on the game and then leave it either, I have to spend a good few hours at it to really get my teeth into it.

Campaing all the way, I like to have WIA, KIA matter for more than 1 game.<snip>

I was talking about this just this morning with a friend I play a lot of PBEM games with. He was commenting that he was doing crazy stuff with a HT and that in real life he would probably not do that. He can get away with doing that because there is no long term consequence. However if we could do a campaign H2H via PBEM then he would not be so careless because he would know he might need that HT in a later battle.

I would love to see PBEM campaigns. And, no, a long game does not concern me. I have been playing the same guy via PBEM since before CMBN came out (CMBB while we waited). So if we played a single campaign in that time it would have been just great.

Ive often noticed this as well. I play single player, mostly campaigns, but a lot of PBEMs too. PBEMs, despite the slow rate things progress are my favorite, its more satisfying to kill a human. That being said, unfortunately single or multiplayer battles and qb's often see behavior that wouldnt happen in real life, or even in a campaign.

Usually attacks go on despite heavy casualties, where it'd be called off. Or the attacking force would never be able to hold on to what it took. Or vice versa, the defenders often hold out to the last man, where in real life after losing a quarter or half their forces would retreat to a better position..