Stug bug ?

In a PBEM game i'm playing i engaged a Priest with a Stug from long range, the Stug fired an AP round first which missed, then to my horror fired two HE rounds which both hit with no obvious effect other than forcing the Priest to retreat out of LOS, i feel like i've been robbed of a kill, is there a rational explanation for this or is it a bug ?

Where were the hits? The lower full is very strong, it's basically a tank wait down. Of course that also means the idiot StuG shouldn't shoot HE.

The two hits read "RICOCHET INTO: Upper front hull", after the first hit the Priest got a shot off at an area it was targeting then backed off sustaining one more hit before clearing the LOS.

In a PBEM game i'm playing i engaged a Priest with a Stug from long range, the Stug fired an AP round first which missed, then to my horror fired two HE rounds which both hit with no obvious effect other than forcing the Priest to retreat out of LOS, i feel like i've been robbed of a kill, is there a rational explanation for this or is it a bug ?

Did it still have AP rounds left?

Michael

Did it still have AP rounds left?

Michael

After watching the confrontation again i forgot to mention that the Stug fired a third HE round at a Half Track after the Priest vacated it's LOS, leaving it with 21 AP rounds and 24 HE rounds.

It's notable that it used a HE round at the HT, that, like the Priest is open topped, so maybe that might have something to do with it, if so it's still a bug IMO.

Just be thankful it didn't fire a paint round.

If that's the case i'd rather it be changed to fire AP at anything on wheels or tracks and leave the HE to the things on foot or structures.

Why? Then you'd be complaining about AP rounds whistling through lightly or un-armoured vehicles, causing no damage.

Why? Then you'd be complaining about AP rounds whistling through lightly or un-armoured vehicles, causing no damage.

Hmmm, i'm sensing hostility, or maybe you forgot to add a smiley, anyway FYI i'd be quite happy with the idea of AP rounds going clean through lightly or un-armoured vehicles as most of the time the lightly or un-armoured vehicles would be full of bodies, and the lightly or un-armoured vehicles are useless without the bodies.

I would also like to add that prior to the incident mentioned i had a 50mm AT gun fire numerous AP rounds into a Greyhound and then a different HT with predictable results, so if AT gunners are willing to fire AP rounds at lightly or un-armoured vehicles i would expect tank gunners to do likewise.

something along the lines of "pick your poison" I expect. I don't remember specifically, although I supose the outcome is in front of you.

Well if anyone from BF is reading this post i hope the image of me weeping buckets after the aforementioned incident is enough to move them to consider prioritising AP rounds when it comes to piercing armour for tank crews :)

p.s. I look just like Bambi when i cry.

...FYI i'd be quite happy with the idea of AP rounds going clean through lightly or un-armoured vehicles...

I believe you. However, I also believe that there are many among the rest of us who would not be happy at all with that outcome (and you may number me as one of them). Soft skinned vehicles (trucks, jeeps, etc.) should as a first priority be attacked with either automatic weapons or HE. But I would be willing to go along with even lightly armored vehicles being attacked with AP as a first priority. I suspect that as a general rule, that is already the case and that your StuG was a rogue. Too bad you don't offer a saved game as analysis of it might reveal what made it behave as it did.

Michael

I believe you. However, I also believe that there are many among the rest of us who would not be happy at all with that outcome (and you may number me as one of them). Soft skinned vehicles (trucks, jeeps, etc.) should as a first priority be attacked with either automatic weapons or HE. But I would be willing to go along with even lightly armored vehicles being attacked with AP as a first priority. I suspect that as a general rule, that is already the case and that your StuG was a rogue. Too bad you don't offer a saved game as analysis of it might reveal what made it behave as it did.

Michael

Well later on the Stug started using AP against another HT so i'm going to keep an eye out to see if the previous situation is repeated in future games or if it was just an anomaly, if i experience another similar incident i will post the saved turn.

Do a quick test. Set up a few stugs, fire off all their HE rounds (area target) then shoot 'em at ammo-less priests 1200m away. The stugs should fire AP and we'll all find out what kind of penetration you may/may not see.

Why do people always thwart my complaints with wisdom ?!!!, i tested the Stug at 1100 metres against a Priest, both had regular crews with normal motivation, the Priest was on a small target arc to stop it returning fire, the results were fascinating captain.

What i discovered is that the Priest is a bloody fortress at 1100 meters when it comes to AP hits, to penetrate it you need to hit the superstructure otherwise AP is useless, but it's really difficult to get a superstructure hit, i got one out of god knows how many rounds fired, all the AP rounds that made contact either hit the lower / upper front hull or the weapon mount which proved to be impervious to penetration and just caused ricochets with no damage to any of the sub systems, however once HE was used the sub systems took a battering and the vehicle tried to reverse out of LOS, which now makes my Stugs use of HE rational, so there's no bug IMO :), but i also noticed one other thing, my "in game" Stug had a veteran crew, they fired an AP round first to empty the chamber then immeadiately started using HE, whereas the regular crew in the test Stug fired numerous AP rounds to no effect until they wised up and started using HE..........all hail the accurate nuances of CMBN !!!.........my new motto is now "test before type" :)