Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Voodoo 5500 / DirectX 8 Problems

i have an AMD 500, 256MB RAM, Voodoo 5500, DirectX 8 machine.

When i run CM (1280 res via Primary Display Driver) the graphics look great, but the text appears as white boxes (rather than whole lines of text... i.e. Hello World! would appear as nothing but a single white rectangle).

i have Anti-Aliasing turned off on the 5500. Any other suggestions? (i haven't tried the latest patch yet - i just got CM in the mail). Thanks!

------------------

Lela: "You're all a bunch of lazy sacks."

Frye: "Sacks!?"

After doing a search, i think i figured it out... i need to turn FSAA on (i.e. do not select 'Best Performance'.

Correct?

If so, anyone know why? Usually FSAA distorts text - i never heard of it correcting it biggrin.gif

And, if i do need to disable the second processor on the card, how does one go about doing that? Thanks!!

------------------

Lela: "You're all a bunch of lazy sacks."

Frye: "Sacks!?"

Edit - It took me awhile to find the website.

Change your FSAA setting to anything but "Fastest Performance" (being "on" rather than off may actually be better for this problem). If this doesn't work then select "Single Chip mode", which may be somewhere in your FSAA settings for DirectX (but it will most likely slow down your display).

I don't know if this problem was minimized with the latest drivers (which may not be posted on the 3dfx website). There are some newer drivers available, but I'm not sure from where. Some of the old 3dfx developers created a last release of the drivers.

I'm not sure if this link has the latest (or how long it will be up). Click on the Drivers link on the left and select your card and OS. Once you hit "Go" it will start downloading a file.

http://www.x3dfx.com/

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 03-20-2001).]