Recommended WWII memoir books

Anyone here should try to avoid Carrel and Agte. Their reputation is ... not that good in Germany.

As a child of the '60s and '70s, I got used to seeing good new WWII soldier memoirs emerge every so often. Now it saddens me to realize that (1.) I've already read most of the good ones listed so far, and (2.) Pretty soon there aren't going to be any new ones because WWII soldiers will all have passed away. I envy those of you who are still to discover some of these thrilling reads!

Be sure, that there are some more to come!

[*]pretty much anything by Ken Tout, but especially Tank! and Tanks, Advance! (armour)

Jon, how hacked up is this version, do you know?

http://www.amazon.com/Tank-D-VE-Days/dp/070909115X/ref=wl_mb_hu_c_6_dp

The singular versions are WAY to pricey for little paper backs...but I don't wanna get a Reader's Digest abortion either.

Mord.

Jon, how hacked up is this version, do you know?

Sorry, I have no idea. You should be able to get Tank! from any semi-decent library, or through interloan. Tanks, Advance! might be a bit trickier, but still reasonably easy to find.

There's also Bookmooch or eBay?

Yeah, I can get the books at some point...just was trying to make my Christmas list for my old man...I learned after about six years of telling him "nothing" when he asks me what I want for Christmas ends with him getting me stuff anyway. Usually something I don't need or will use, so as of last Christmas I make a list on Amazon and he goes there and just picks some stuff. I try to put a bunch of stuff so it'll be a surprise. He only buys directly from Amazon, not any of the sellers, so that's pretty much why I was wondering.

I did pretty good though, between here and Larso's list I picked out a pretty eclectic amount of stuff...and found plenty to add to my WWII reading list/collection for later on down the line. Man, I love books.

Mord.

Sorry, I have no idea. You should be able to get Tank! from any semi-decent library, or through interloan. Tanks, Advance! might be a bit trickier, but still reasonably easy to find.

There's also Bookmooch or eBay?

And ABE. You can often find books there at a fraction of the price elsewhere. I buy a fair amount of hard to find military stuff there. Fair warning though, when I went to look for Tout's books, they were almost all coming from the UK. The book prices were good, but the shipping from the UK can be a killer.

Michael

Some of the "Band of Brothers" troopers have published their memoirs including Dick Winters. I've only read "Parachute Infantry" by David Webster which is an interesting contrast to Burgett's style.

'Parachute Infantry' is a very good book and an interesting counter point to the other Easy Company memoirs currently available. He certainly comes at the subject from a slightly less - I don't know what the word is - nostalgic angle. but then, he wrote it not long after the war. It's interesting to read about what he thinks of a number of the other company members. He certainly didn't like Peacock very much.

I think Ambrose drew on it quite heavily for his own book.