Use onmap guns in WEGO

Is there any way to restrict an onmap gun from firing its whole supply in a WEGO turn?

Unlike vehicles where one can set another waypoint to clear the target so that the tank fires for x seconds, moves and ceases firing, one cannot realistically do that with a gun (it takes several minutes to limber, move and unlimber).

Do we really need a UI control to control the number of shells fired?

Is there any way to restrict an onmap gun from firing its whole supply in a WEGO turn?

There is no way that I have ever found to limit fire duration for on map guns. Like you said, the waypoint method is not possible with these units because it will trigger the pack-up/set-up cycle.

Do we really need a UI control to control the number of shells fired?

I have wanted something like this for a very long time. I could think of two decent ways it could be done.

1) Add two new command buttons [Hold then Fire] and [Fire then Hold]. The first "Hold then Fire" would work exactly the same way as the "Pause" button does for movement except it would only affect firing of weapons. The second "Fire then Hold" would instruct the unit to fire for an assigned number of seconds/minutes then to hold fire unless a self defense situation arrises.

2) Tweak the waypoint method so that it could be used for on map guns. Make it so that if you plot a move order inside the current action spot it does not trigger the Pack-Up/Set-Up phase. This way you could just just use waypoints set inside the current action spot along with the current Pause command to limit fire at the beggining or later in the turn.

Use "target light" to lower rate of fire. Otherwise, instead of direct lay, call an indirect mission through a spotter.

I just tested target light command at 150m with a German 75mm infantry gun and the only thing that occured was that the crew leader fired his pistol at the target.

Indirect fire missions for on map guns still take multiple turns to come in. It would be nice to have something better to control the amount of main gun rounds used if the target is in LOS/LOF and needs to be fired on right away. If you have to wait even 4 turns for fire to start, your opportunity might be long gone to have the effect you originally wanted.

Add two new command buttons [Hold then Fire] and [Fire then Hold]. The first "Hold then Fire" would work exactly the same way as the "Pause" button does for movement except it would only affect firing of weapons. The second "Fire then Hold" would instruct the unit to fire for an assigned number of seconds/minutes then to hold fire unless a self defense situation arrises.

+1

Michael

T

1) Add two new command buttons [Hold then Fire] and [Fire then Hold]. The first "Hold then Fire" would work exactly the same way as the "Pause" button does for movement except it would only affect firing of weapons. The second "Fire then Hold" would instruct the unit to fire for an assigned number of seconds/minutes then to hold fire unless a self defense situation arrises.

+1 for this suggestion.

Would a small circular targeting arc keep the mortar units from firing their Mortar's? Or just their small Arms?....

It would inhibit them from using all their weapons in DF. Using them IDF might overrule the arc; I don't know, never tried it. In any event, I don't see it resolving the OP's problem.

Michael