Shadows

Are there any plans to fix the shadows in the CM series, ever? It's been nearly half a decade since the CMx2 engine debuted, and we still have the sawtooth/striated shadows (for those who never played CMSF, they are in that title too). Case in point:

ou1aab.jpg

We have the striations/sawtooth on the tank, and the halftrack has the shadows of the troops inside rendered on the outside. Sure, shadows can be turned off, but if the game has the feature it should be working correctly at some point. It's just disappointing to still see this issue alive and well after so long.

It is a good thing that the current game engine doesn't give any concealment bonus for "hiding in the shadows". That would be a somewhat difficult game mechanic to make use of with CMx2 shadows.

I often have to drive out into the "back-woods country" for work and I often observe the terrain as it would relate to CMBN. I have often noticed that when the sun is at low angles or when it is generally cloudy, that shadow would have a major impact on visibility in some areas. The biggest impact areas I have seen are along dense treelines that border fields and roadways. In low angle/dim light settings these types of terrain features tend to create a "black hole" effect in which they are very hard to see into from a distance. In CMBN this insn't directly modeled and so we are missing out on this significant real life concealment. I always imagine a foliage concealed AT gun in one of those "black hole tree lines" along fields. I wouldn't be able to see it unless I got to within <50m or so.

Are there any plans to fix the shadows in the CM series, ever? It's been nearly half a decade since the CMx2 engine debuted, and we still have the sawtooth/striated shadows (for those who never played CMSF, they are in that title too). Case in point:

We have the striations/sawtooth on the tank, and the halftrack has the shadows of the troops inside rendered on the outside. Sure, shadows can be turned off, but if the game has the feature it should be working correctly at some point. It's just disappointing to still see this issue alive and well after so long.

Agreed, it looks very ugly. Here's hoping as well for a fix.