Bouncing howitzer smoke shells

Yep, the two other shells (not in video) both did this. After landing, they emitted smoke as they should. Not like the shell broke on impact :eek:

I made another test and can safely say that each and every smoke shell that hits a roof will bounce. Maybe the cause of this "bug" is that smoke shells doesn't explode on impact, but rather emit smoke after landing, and since shells can't stick to roofs, they "must" bounce like a ricochet.

I made another video showing that shells (two) that land on the map after a bounce then will emit smoke. Sorry for poor video quality :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I made another test and can safely say that each and every smoke shell that hits a roof will bounce.

Sorry, rocketman, I have to refute that. I have also just run a lengthy test and I found that NOT every smoke shell that hits a roof will bounce. At least not the German smoke shells.

I tried every caliber howitzer smoke shell that the Germans field (75mm, 105mm, 150mm), and while they all will sometimes bounce off of roofs, they will more often go through the roof and explode inside the building. I have a feeling that larger calibers tend to bounce less, but I didn't count them.

I also couldn't manage to bounce a smoke shell off a roof into a Priest despite a lot of tries, but I DO now know the following:

1) A 75mm German howitzer smoke shell on a direct hit into a Priest will likely damage the vehicle (optics, tracks mostly) and often, but not always, injure one or more crew members. Very rarely will it knock out the vehicle. A near miss will rarely damage the tracks.

2) A 105mm German howitzer smoke shell on a direct hit into a Priest will always damage the vehicle (optics, tracks mostly; engine sometimes) and always injure one or more crew members. It will sometimes, but not always, knock out the vehicle due to crew losses, very rarely due to fire aboard. A near miss will almost always damage the tracks.

3) A German 150mm howitzer smoke shell on a direct hit will always damage the vehicle (optics, tracks, engine, radio) and always injure several or all crew members. It will always knock out the vehicle due to crew losses, sometimes due to fire aboard. A near miss will certainly damage the tracks and occasionally immobilize the vehicle. The 150mm smoke shells can actually penetrate the thin armor of the priest on occasion when they fall ON it as opposed to INTO it, with identical results.

4) Smoke shells that bounce off roofs will always explode and generate smoke wherever they impact the ground.

5) Direct hits from 210mm Brummbär howitzers using HE shells will catastrophically kill Priests almost every time, and rarely leave any survivors :D. Did that test for fun ;).

6) Interesting: 210mm howitzers fired in a mission with duration set to maximum will only fire 20 of their 80 shells (4 tubes). I think this is due to the barrels overheating, but I'm not sure.

Sorry, rocketman, I have to refute that. I have also just run a lengthy test and I found that NOT every smoke shell that hits a roof will bounce. At least not the German smoke shells.

I tried every caliber howitzer smoke shell that the Germans field (75mm, 105mm, 150mm), and while they all will sometimes bounce off of roofs, they will more often go through the roof and explode inside the building. I have a feeling that larger calibers tend to bounce less, but I didn't count them.

I also couldn't manage to bounce a smoke shell off a roof into a Priest despite a lot of tries, but I DO now know the following:

1) A 75mm German howitzer smoke shell on a direct hit into a Priest will likely damage the vehicle (optics, tracks mostly) and often, but not always, injure one or more crew members. Very rarely will it knock out the vehicle. A near miss will rarely damage the tracks.

2) A 105mm German howitzer smoke shell on a direct hit into a Priest will always damage the vehicle (optics, tracks mostly; engine sometimes) and always injure one or more crew members. It will sometimes, but not always, knock out the vehicle due to crew losses, very rarely due to fire aboard. A near miss will almost always damage the tracks.

3) A German 150mm howitzer smoke shell on a direct hit will always damage the vehicle (optics, tracks, engine, radio) and always injure several or all crew members. It will always knock out the vehicle due to crew losses, sometimes due to fire aboard. A near miss will certainly damage the tracks and occasionally immobilize the vehicle. The 150mm smoke shells can actually penetrate the thin armor of the priest on occasion when they fall ON it as opposed to INTO it, with identical results.

4) Smoke shells that bounce off roofs will always explode and generate smoke wherever they impact the ground.

5) Direct hits from 210mm Brummbär howitzers using HE shells will catastrophically kill Priests almost every time, and rarely leave any survivors :D. Did that test for fun ;).

6) Interesting: 210mm howitzers fired in a mission with duration set to maximum will only fire 20 of their 80 shells (4 tubes). I think this is due to the barrels overheating, but I'm not sure.

What I forgot to state was that my additional test was going back in the same scenario using an old save and do the barrage again. Som my test is only for 105 mm in La Valance.

Nice tests stoex.