CM:BN Screenshot Thread #2

3 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Slim,

Yikes.  No wonder they named a tank after him.   :lol:

Heinrich505

We'll see what happens when the reinforcements arrive, provided I even hold any of the map when they do.

I'm currently getting my teeth kicked in literally everywhere.

75mm AT Gun fires two shots, scores two hits, and fails to kill it's target, meanwhile a single round of return fire kills the entire crew.

It's been one of those battles...

3 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

PM Me if you're interested.

PM sent.

1 hour ago, user1000 said:

<Snip> take it out with some type of thrown satchel box

I find pioneers/engineers and their demo charges are very effective at knocking out heavy armor.  The trick is getting them in range (two action squares).  I can sometimes do it in close terrain.  Looks like you got that StuG in fairly open terrain.  Good job.  I know the visual representation of the box flying through the air is a bit odd. :D  After the StuG was knocked out did the occupants come out blazing away with their pistols? 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

The same thing happened with my shermans on that single mission called something to the tune of cats vs dogs and this same vehicle was very far away for those hits on the sherman. Usually these howitzers loose accuracy over distance at range. I believe the game has it set too high. Have to do more research on that gun on this psw 234/3. Looks like the same version as the Panzer III Ausf N  tank.

Edited by user1000

So I did research on the gun. It IS the same gun one the panzer III N tank. Don't know if the game has all the ammo types it can fire but this is what wiki says

7.5 cm KwK 37

• K.Gr.rot.Pz. - Armour Piercing Capped
  • Kt. Kw. K. - Canister
  • Nbgr. Kw. K. - Smoke
  • Gr.38 Hl - High Explosive Anti-Tank
  • Gr.38 Hl/A - High Explosive Anti-Tank
  • Gr.38 Hl/B - High Explosive Anti-Tank
  • Gr.38 Hl/C - High Explosive Anti-Tank
  • 7.5 cm Sprgr.34 - High Explosive

The muzzle velocity is very low around 400m/s and shouldn't be hitting long range targets. If it does there shouldn't be penetration at all. These m8s were all in the guns range. But not the 2 shermans I had in another mission that were taken out by it (from frontal hits) from across the map. optics are going to make no difference on that gun and long range. It is like a scope on a beretta handgun, worthless. Just too low of a velocity.

Edited by user1000

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2016 at 9:48 PM, user1000 said:

The same thing happened with my shermans on that single mission called something to the tune of cats vs dogs and this same vehicle was very far away for those hits on the sherman. Usually these howitzers loose accuracy over distance at range. I believe the game has it set too high. Have to do more research on that gun on this psw 234/3. Looks like the same version as the Panzer III Ausf N  tank.

I am not so concerned about about the kwk 37 having anti tank capabilities in 1944 (limited AT capabilities). It was very respected in North Africa from the account I read. However, I do wonder about the penetrating hits on the 234/3. You didn't show the damage screens in your captures. I would be curious to know if the engine registered damage or any compartments. I assume those are 37mm hits from the front, straight through the spare tire in the back. It appears to have missed the crew, and ammo. But it may have knocked out the radio compartment, and damaged the engine. If it missed everything, then yes there is a problem.

The force should cause steel shards inside

1 hour ago, nik mond said:

I am not so concerned about about the kwk 37 having anti tank capabilities in 1944 (limited AT capabilities). It was very respected in North Africa from the account I read. However, I do wonder about the penetrating hits on the 234/3. You didn't show the damage screens in your captures. I would be curious to know if the engine registered damage or any compartments. I assume those are 37mm hits from the front, straight through the spare tire in the back. It appears to have missed the crew, and ammo. But it may have knocked out the radio compartment, and damaged the engine. If it missed everything, then yes there is a problem.

It's the range at which that type of short gun is effective, anything over short distance I would say, would have a deviation of 10 feet or more uncontrollable to where it was actually aiming. No i didn't get damage but I checked and I think radio may have been hit, the 3 crew are all stationed on the left side so it wouldn't have bothered them. Only in real life fast moving steel shards would be a problem inside the crew area. no?

Edited by user1000

On 10/22/2016 at 1:48 AM, user1000 said:

You don't actually mention the ranges involved, but looking at the "Cats chasing Dogs" scenario the map is 1.12k x 656m. 

The same Wiki article you shared goes on to quote accuracy of 82% at 1.5k. I have no idea if this is correct but I do wonder if your concept of long range is a little different from actuality. 

PzGr. 39/43 Armor-piercing[edit]

• Projectile weight: 6.80 kg (15.0 lb)
  • Muzzle velocity: 385 m/s (1,260 ft/s)
Penetration figures given for an armoured plate 30 degrees from vertical[2]
Range Penetration Hit probability
(%)
100 41 100
500 39 100
1000 35 97
1500 33 82
2000 30 n/a

P