CM:BN Screenshot Thread #2

Herr Bulge, Vo ist du?

SLopy%20Joe_zpstjdt2rse.jpg

Well, being a linguistical purist( "Sprache Nazi"?), I have to state that in Germany you cannot, and should not, address anyone with the title "Herr" as "Du". That is totally not done, so it has to be "Herr Bulge, Wo sind Sie?"

But other than that I agree, where the bloody .... stays the Bulge??? (I didn't mention Schwimmwagens this time, did I?)

Edited by Seedorf81
Being a too hasty purist..

Well, being a linguistical purist( "Sprache Nazi"?), I have to state that in Germany you cannot, and should not, address anyone with the title "Herr" as "Du". That is totally not done, so it has to be "Herr Bulge, Wo sind Sie?"

----------------------------------------

Alright. Who"s the GrammarNazi now?

But other than that I agree, where the bloody .... stays the Bulge??? (I didn't mention Schwimmwagens this time, did I?)

You underestimate German grammar. Of course that is possible. :)

In a formal situation with strangers (e.g. in front of a customer) when a higher up addresses someone who he is on informal terms with. He could use the family name instead of the normally used first name. Mostly depending on age and status of the addressed. E.g.: "Herr Müller, kannst Du mal ...".
Also the other way round in the same situation where an apprentice addresses his master.
Reason is that the stranger needs to know the family name of the person if he wants to address him as he could not use the first name.

Funny language, isn't it? :)

Also plural of "Schwimmwagen" is surprisingly "Schwimmwagen". "Schwimmwagens" is genitiv clause. ;)

• 2 weeks later...