CM:BN Screenshot Thread #2

Eh, depends. Sometimes its a disaster. I've had the most amount of luck in Red Thunder doing it, terrain far more suited to do that on Steppes/Rolling farmland. Not as common as it is in Normandy. 

The use of Tank crews for recon is worthy of it's own topic! :) You're bringing up things I never considered before - such as differences in the terrain. I suppose it should be evident that one would approach it differently, but I always was so reluctant to dismount crews because - if I don't scout and lose the vehicle, well that's tough. Hopefully I got a shot off first before dying. If I lose a crew, I know I never had a chance to get that shot off. Faulty logic, likely but that's how I always was afraid to use crews for anything other than operating their equipment.  

The use of Tank crews for recon is worthy of it's own topic! :) You're bringing up things I never considered before - such as differences in the terrain. I suppose it should be evident that one would approach it differently, but I always was so reluctant to dismount crews because - if I don't scout and lose the vehicle, well that's tough. Hopefully I got a shot off first before dying. If I lose a crew, I know I never had a chance to get that shot off. Faulty logic, likely but that's how I always was afraid to use crews for anything other than operating their equipment.  

Well Red Thunder puts you in the unique position to do that a few times. "Hunting for the Bug" is a good example mission, you only start with a few tank rider units but with a plethora of armor on the field, including T-70s. Alot of treelines overlooking a km+ of rolling wheatfields made me think it was wiser to scout dismounted than risk exposing the full tank. It paid off as a few turns of observing showed me a 88 a ways out.

I will be making my own topic for the video soonish, so I won't muck up the screenshot thread with text posts any further. I'll be open to critique and questioning then.

Edited by Rinaldi

I had a company of infantry advancing through bocage type terrain.  They came up on some open fields with the objective on the far side.  I suspected the OpFor had the fields covered by fire.  The wind was light out of the northwest.  I know how to solve this problem.  Called for two out of three tubes of 105mm arty to fire light.  This will give me about 5 minutes to cross the danger area.  They were making good time and then just as the first fire teams started to reach the far side ......................... mine field............  As my plan begins to unravel.  It started off so well .........      

Smoke%20amp%20Mines_zpszujxwglu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pioneer Platoon of 1st Infantry Battalion training to work with a Sherman Crab during their rotation at the Combat Engineer Course.

Combat%20Engineer%20Course%20Minefield%2

Lesson learned: Assume the minefield contains anti-tank mines and have infantry on the Hide command at least two action spots away from where the Crab is working.  

Sorry folks for the dumb question but, how do you get screen shots in CM? I tried with print screen but what I get instead is a main menu shot! Been looking through the CM 3.1 manual and can´t find any reference. Thanks in advanced!

Care,

Red...out.

I have to admit that I've tried to "flail" over enemy positions in a QB I put together, but I don't think it worked out very well. 

The majority of my Pixeltruppen spend the bulk of their time "flailing" about during a given mission. I wouldn't blame it on Crabs though.

Red, there are several ways to get a screenshot.  I assume you will also want to post the screenshots here in the forum.  Below is the way I take and post screenshots.

Capture a screen shot with FRAPS  (There is a free version)

Save in Paint as a jpeg file

Crop if you want

Save and name

Sign in to photobucket   (Free version)

Click on the upload button

Navigate to the location of the photo  (normally on the desktop)

Drag the photo into the photo bucket area that says “Drag here”

(You can use photo bucket tools to get different effects if you want.) 

Click on IMG tag to the right of the photo to copy the photo

Go to the forum

Paste the photo into the narrative box

The URL will appear

Preview it and the photo will appear (Click more reply options)

Some tips for screenshots:

Shift / esc pauses the game without the word PAUSED across the screen

Alt / I toggles off unit icons

Alt / h toggles off hit text

Alt / j toggles off objectives

Hope this helped.  Have fun and lets see some screenshots.  :) 

Thanks for the heads-up regarding screen caps! I´ll see what I can find as aim not much of a fan of fraps. I can confirm that "Shadow Play" that comes with the nVidia driver (GTX660<) works much better for recording video then "Camtasia" or "Fraps" I have tried them both, Shadow play is alot better on FPS.

Here´s a short vid I did this year with "Shadow Play"...

1080pHD

Thanks again for your help guys!

Care,

Red...out.

Edited by red2112

Red, there are several ways to get a screenshot.  I assume you will also want to post the screenshots here in the forum.  Below is the way I take and post screenshots.

Capture a screen shot with FRAPS  (There is a free version)

Save in Paint as a jpeg file

Crop if you want

Save and name

<snip>

Paste the photo into the narrative box

The URL will appear

Preview it and the photo will appear (Click more reply options)

Excellent advice.  You can also upload directly to this site.  To do that replace the <snip>ed out section with these steps:

Click on the "More Reply Options" button to go to the full editor

Use the "Browse..." and "Attach This File" buttons to attach you picture to the post.

Click on add to post to actually included it in the post

Right click and the the path to the image (this will likely be the path to the thumbnail...)

Use the add image button to insert the image full sized where you want in you post and past the URL into the image dialog box (if the file ends in "_thumbnail" delete that part to get the whole image.

It may seem longer but it eliminates dealing with a third party web site (or your own site) so for me it is faster.