CM:BN Screenshot Thread #2

Maybe it's just my monitors, but I find the night scenarios impossible to play cos I can't see anything. So, I have to up the Gamma and brightness so it looks like (washed out) day just in order to play. Similarly, I can barely see anything in the picture posted in the previous message.

Can everyone else see it ok??

I am unsure what is the point of night scenarios if one can't see anything.

The screen shot above is from Blue and Gray (look ma I spelled it "right"). Which is not night but dawn. I do not have a problem seeing in that scenario. Yes, it is a bit darker than some. However In the Shadow of the Hill 5am is much darker. Still not night though. I find my self sitting forward closer to the screen to see when I am playing that one.

Perhaps you have a calibration issue with your monitor. You, can of course, go all out and calibrate your monitor with hardware etc - and I have because I am a photographer too. There are simple things you can do that will make a big difference to at least get your brightness / contrast / colour in the right ball park.

Check out this web page

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/calibration.shtml

Do not get intimidated by all the advanced stuff he is trying to explain - if you want you can read the whole thing and go have a tone of fun calibrating everything but for now just focus on the section titled "Where to Start".

Using just your monitor and video card controls you can get your computer screen looking much better. The key for night / dawn fighting is that black and white strip. If you find that the right hand side of that strip looks solid black then tweaking your settings as described on that page will make a difference when playing night battles.

I hope that helps.

yea, shouldn't come out as night time.

6:30 AM, overcast on june 6 on normandy beaches, visibility was good; Ike and SCAEF wanted it that way, much to the chagrin of Dutch Cota...

agree that it is a little darker than I imagine (imagination probably skewed by hollywood, who knows if reliable), but it doesn't seem like night time. By 8:30 it's pretty light too.

mjkerner: While the time of days changes as one waits, especially during a long set-up procedure, I found the light snaps back to whatever it was supposed to be when the scenario actually starts.

Re monitor calibration, am very happy to go into my nVidia controls and mess around till the screen looks ok. But, it's annoying. Often when CMBN looks good during dusk/night/dawn scenarios, it's blindingly bright when one goes back to desktop.

Re monitor calibration, am very happy to go into my nVidia controls and mess around till the screen looks ok. But, it's annoying. Often when CMBN looks good during dusk/night/dawn scenarios, it's blindingly bright when one goes back to desktop.

Good - I was suggesting though that instead you try and calibrate your monitor / video card using the basic method mentioned in the link I posted earlier and then see if the night scenarios look better to you.

I think you should try to fight in the dark - after all your pixel troops are:D Just make sure it is a dark you can see shadows in.

Hmm... I think once again this comes down to the game vs simulation issue. I just want to have fun. Trying to fight a battle where I can't see any of the lovely graphics and only "shadows" is plain silly (to me).

To experience CM as a sim (as some wag once wrote) you should play CM while in a metal 50 gallon drum, while people beat on it with baseball bats and throw firecrackers and crap into it. Anything less and you are kidding yourself re "realism".

<snip>To experience CM as a sim (as some wag once wrote) you should play CM while in a metal 50 gallon drum, while people beat on it with baseball bats and throw firecrackers and crap into it. Anything less and you are kidding yourself re "realism".

Got it - that's fine. Forgive me if I do not try your suggestion of playing CM stuffed inside a 50 gal drum:-)

Hmm... I think once again this comes down to the game vs simulation issue. I just want to have fun. Trying to fight a battle where I can't see any of the lovely graphics and only "shadows" is plain silly (to me).

To experience CM as a sim (as some wag once wrote) you should play CM while in a metal 50 gallon drum, while people beat on it with baseball bats and throw firecrackers and crap into it. Anything less and you are kidding yourself re "realism".

others have complained about this also, I have seen their screen shots and they are terrible. But it is not that way for everyone. When I run night scenarios, I have no problem seeing the game or do I need to adjust the monitor, And I do not have my monitor bright because I cannot stand that.

Not sure if there has been a answer to the problem but I know there is other threads on it, likely in the tech. section.

Dog fight. This happened in a QB, I was using the Americans and the AI had three Tigers it kept pretty bunched up, I ended up coming around the back of em but as you can see, it didn't come cheap. I had lost an additional 4 Shermans before reaching the Tigers position. CMNormandy2011-07-0114-21-29-60.jpg

Dog fight. This happened in a QB, I was using the Americans and the AI had three Tigers it kept pretty bunched up, I ended up coming around the back of em but as you can see, it didn't come cheap. I had lost an additional 4 Shermans before reaching the Tigers position.

Not much else you can do to kill Tigers.

A human opponent likely would have kept out of the town and leveled it to clear fields of fire and you may not have been able to get the ass shots!

others have complained about this also, I have seen their screen shots and they are terrible. But it is not that way for everyone. When I run night scenarios, I have no problem seeing the game or do I need to adjust the monitor, And I do not have my monitor bright because I cannot stand that.

Not sure if there has been a answer to the problem but I know there is other threads on it, likely in the tech. section.

Same here, luckily - total luck - Night scenarios are perfectly viewable on my rig. One of my PBEM opponents can't see jack unless he cranks the gamma on his monitor.

So this ATG is 'hiding' in the middle of a wheat field and it's NOT been spotted and killed first shot?????!!!!! :eek:

Actually, its a great place to put a gun. I have found that the toughest guns I have faced have been AT guns in tall grass in the open, But the range needs to be pretty long. If they are about level with you, the guns will spot and fire on tanks but you cannot return fire because you cannot spot them and if you try area fire, you cannot do it because the grass hides the ground so you cannot return fire until you see the gun, then even when you do. It shoots at what it sees so unless it is a direct hit, the shells go long.

So that means you want arty to take it on, If the player has then in the correct depth. Spotters will not be able to spot the ground either, so no pin point arty.

So in otherwords, Tall grass can be the best protection in the game for a AT gun I have found

Actually, its a great place to put a gun. I have found that the toughest guns I have faced have been AT guns in tall grass in the open, But the range needs to be pretty long. If they are about level with you, the guns will spot and fire on tanks but you cannot return fire because you cannot spot them and if you try area fire, you cannot do it because the grass hides the ground so you cannot return fire until you see the gun, then even when you do. It shoots at what it sees so unless it is a direct hit, the shells go long.

So that means you want arty to take it on, If the player has then in the correct depth. Spotters will not be able to spot the ground either, so no pin point arty.

So in otherwords, Tall grass can be the best protection in the game for a AT gun I have found

Boy, I agree with that, slysniper. Infantry too; in my experince, tanks often find it difficult to range in on them in wheatfields. Wheatfields generally are your friend.

Thanks, interesting comments.

Yes, I realised it wasn't such a bad position as one might have expected. Trouble is I've seen guns even behind bocage spotted in no time at all!

Next time I'll look for bocage with tall grass/wheat behind it. ;)

NO, YOU ARE NOT GETTING THE CONCEPT CORRECT. YOU WANT TO FIND A TALL GRASS FIELD WITH NOTHING ELSE CLOSE TO YOU.

if you place a gun near a bocage, then I can at least area fire on the bocage, but in the middle of a field , I cannot area fire on you at all, not unless I am looking down on you from a higher elevation.