CM:BN Screenshot Thread #2

22 minutes ago, IanL said:

I spent part of my morning learning how to use ffmpeg to convert a section of an .mp4 video into a .gif.

It was wasted time well spent :D

We learn everydays nobody waste a time to learn..., is a good solution when we want showing little actions with superposition of  pictures, but perhaps this give more work to prepare it as a vid ? !

13 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

We learn everydays nobody waste a time to learn..., is a good solution when we want showing little actions with superposition of  pictures, but perhaps this give more work to prepare it as a vid ? !

Well I am supposed to be doing something else so I was feeling a little guilty. 🙂 In the past I have posted Youtube videos but I find that a heavy process. I feel I have to create title slides, text overlays and use a video editor to trim off the start and end etc. etc. But I have some videos on my HD that I'll probably never do that for. 

@Bil Hardenberger's Beta AAR got me thinking about it again. I already have ffmpeg on my HD for conversion work so I did a quick check and found it can extract frames and create gifs. Cool.

For the curious the command that does the work is:
ffmpeg -ss %starts% -t %capture% -i %filename% -vf "fps=10,crop=%cropparms%,scale=-1:%size%:-1:flags=lanczos,split[s0][s1];[s0]palettegen[p];[s1][p]paletteuse=dither=bayer:bayer_scale=5:diff_mode=rectangle" -loop 0 "%outfilename%"

It is inside a script with built in parameter checking so as to not hurt my brain in two weeks when I try this again 🙂

Replace:

%starts% with the number of seconds to skip (decimals are allowed)

%capture% the number of seconds to capture (again decimals are allowed)

%filename% the input video file name

%cropparms% the cropping you want (or remove crop=%cropparms%,) for no cropping. I use w=1815:h=880:x=0:y=32 for my 1080p captures and w=2474:h=1208:x=0:y=32 for my 2k captures

%size% is the pixel height of the final gif (you cannot remove this one but if you don't want a resize use -1 as the value). The width will be automatically set to preserve the aspect ratio. 720 seems to be a good choice.

%outfilename% the name of the resulting .gif file - make sure you include the .gif extension

3 hours ago, IanL said:

Well I am supposed to be doing something else so I was feeling a little guilty. 🙂 In the past I have posted Youtube videos but I find that a heavy process. I feel I have to create title slides, text overlays and use a video editor to trim off the start and end etc. etc. But I have some videos on my HD that I'll probably never do that for. 

@Bil Hardenberger's Beta AAR got me thinking about it again. I already have ffmpeg on my HD for conversion work so I did a quick check and found it can extract frames and create gifs. Cool.

For the curious the command that does the work is:
ffmpeg -ss %starts% -t %capture% -i %filename% -vf "fps=10,crop=%cropparms%,scale=-1:%size%:-1:flags=lanczos,split[s0][s1];[s0]palettegen[p];[s1][p]paletteuse=dither=bayer:bayer_scale=5:diff_mode=rectangle" -loop 0 "%outfilename%"

It is inside a script with built in parameter checking so as to not hurt my brain in two weeks when I try this again 🙂

Replace:

%starts% with the number of seconds to skip (decimals are allowed)

%capture% the number of seconds to capture (again decimals are allowed)

%filename% the input video file name

%cropparms% the cropping you want (or remove crop=%cropparms%,) for no cropping. I use w=1815:h=880:x=0:y=32 for my 1080p captures and w=2474:h=1208:x=0:y=32 for my 2k captures

%size% is the pixel height of the final gif (you cannot remove this one but if you don't want a resize use -1 as the value). The width will be automatically set to preserve the aspect ratio. 720 seems to be a good choice.

%outfilename% the name of the resulting .gif file - make sure you include the .gif extension

You did something with quality normaly a gif is something very quick and with low quality. 

I have also ffmpeg but I never use it in details, in fact  I downloaded it only, because I needed to open a certain file, but it was interresting so I keep it since now and now that you give me some commands I will check it in details.

I am curious an I took a view of yours explanations, I dont understand,but with a little practice this will be better, my next learn program will be probably how work a script, I discover that the modern games working a lot with scripts, so is my next step, only to be more awake about new generation of games, I guess Python is a good base for this ...

Thank you @IanL for your time to explain how  work the program !

20 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

I am curious an I took a view of yours explanations

I didn't dream that up by reading the docs. I googled "ffmpeg convert video to gif" and read multiple posts on superuser, stack overflow and some blogs and combined a few techniques together for the desired result. I did refer to the manual to tweak things for sure.

1 minute ago, IanL said:

I didn't dream that up by reading the docs. I googled "ffmpeg convert video to gif" and read multiple posts on superuser, stack overflow and some blogs and combined a few techniques together for the desired result. I did refer to the manual to tweak things for sure.

iS BEAUSE YOU SAID >>>>For the curious the command that does the work is:

THIS IS WHY i SAID I am curious an I took a view of yours explanations.....

3 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

iS BEAUSE YOU SAID >>>>For the curious the command that does the work is:

THIS IS WHY i SAID I am curious an I took a view of yours explanations.....

Sorry man, I took that to mean you wanted to learn more about how I got there. I was just trying to point you towards that. I see now you were being appreciative of what I already shared. Got it.

14 minutes ago, IanL said:

Sorry man, I took that to mean you wanted to learn more about how I got there. I was just trying to point you towards that. I see now you were being appreciative of what I already shared. Got it.

pas de probleme  l ami  !

Edited by JM Stuff

This was a neat 2 minutes. A Spitfire attacked and shredded the lead AA vehicle. Then, it got shot down by the remaining two. Then, a heavy point barrage by 75mm Pack Howitzers knocked out the Panther with their first FFE salvo and the AA vehicle beside it with their second.

CMBN_041021_1.thumb.jpg.0e31ac56598af61e540b96e993c194b9.jpg

The first hit brewed up the already buttoned-up Panther. That was the front hull top hit. However, a second hit on the engine deck came seconds later. And, in the next minute, two more hits that would have likely killed the Panther, had it still been alive. Not bad. The paras got an easy morning!

CMBN_041021_2.thumb.jpg.9573d33ecfe16a6f35cc8d3d6a1efcc9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This poor PzIV (/s) gets hit by two tanks but shot at by three plus a PIAT. I think all four of them will claim credit for the kill. When I first watched I was convinced it was the infantry that scored the big hit but I was wrong.

Taking careful aim and fire (note PIAT round near the shadow in front of the flowers)...
20210419100958-fabf1f69.jpg

Tank round
20210419101001-201187db.jpg

Boom
20210419101003-411394b6.jpg

Note the PIAT round now behind the enemy tank
20210419101006-e2cc5b5e.jpg

Which then blows up behind the enemy tank
20210419101007-7b8b8fa5.jpg

The action

20210419100955-8d8827c4.gif

The tank commander's view
20210419101009-56dfa2c7.jpg

18 minutes ago, IanL said:

This poor PzIV (/s) gets hit by two tanks but shot at by three plus a PIAT. I think all four of them will claim credit for the kill. When I first watched I was convinced it was the infantry that scored the big hit but I was wrong.

Taking careful aim and fire (note PIAT round near the shadow in front of the flowers)...
20210419100958-fabf1f69.jpg

Tank round
20210419101001-201187db.jpg

Boom
20210419101003-411394b6.jpg

Note the PIAT round now behind the enemy tank
20210419101006-e2cc5b5e.jpg

Which then blows up behind the enemy tank
20210419101007-7b8b8fa5.jpg

The action

20210419100955-8d8827c4.gif

The tank commander's view
20210419101009-56dfa2c7.jpg

Beautiful scene in details IANL, I like yours Britishs..., are they from Vein or Benpark or is your own mix ?

6 hours ago, IanL said:

I have a mix of @benpark's helmets, @Vein uniforms (which also has a helmet mod) and VM's (not sure who's that is) UK uniforms. Given these are Canadian Paras I am pretty sure this is the @Vein uniform mod possibly with some of @benpark's helmets mixed in.

Yeah !

I was sure that I recognize some from @Vein and @benpark but didn't know about VM's ? 

You make a good mix@IanL they are looking good, I am also trying to have the best from them and make myself a mix could you check one day  for VM' ? !

JM

10 hours ago, IanL said:

I have a mix of @benpark's helmets, @Vein uniforms (which also has a helmet mod) and VM's (not sure who's that is) UK uniforms. Given these are Canadian Paras I am pretty sure this is the @Vein uniform mod possibly with some of @benpark's helmets mixed in.

Nice!

And that reminds me, I was going to take a looksee at Vein's British and Commonwealth helmets and uniforms as recommended by @Aragorn2002.

They are indeed splendid ... waiting in the long grass ...

i1BHdLi.jpg

56 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Nice!

And that reminds me, I was going to take a looksee at Vein's British and Commonwealth helmets and uniforms as recommended by @Aragorn2002.

They are indeed splendid ... waiting in the long grass ...

i1BHdLi.jpg

You give the good answer @Lucky_Strike splendid indeed, the three were making detailled mods and this is the result, added with your surpassing job, this give the final touch that we need absolutly !

20 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

You give the good answer @Lucky_Strike splendid indeed, the three were making detailled mods and this is the result, added with your surpassing job, this give the final touch that we need absolutly !

Thanks JM. I think Vein’s uniform mod came with a variety of different helmet 🪖sets to choose from, but if I recall correctly I just renamed some form the sets and mixed them in together to give even more variety. The textures are very well made flat .bmps that look convincingly 3D. I do wonder if there’s a way to make them a bit more 3D to break up the turtle shell outline ... as was partly the original intention of the camo.

2 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Thanks JM. I think Vein’s uniform mod came with a variety of different helmet 🪖sets to choose from, but if I recall correctly I just renamed some form the sets and mixed them in together to give even more variety. The textures are very well made flat .bmps that look convincingly 3D.

Yes this is what I want to check later, first I try to manage a good result with my us airborne helmet...

I do wonder if there’s a way to make them a bit more 3D to break up the turtle shell outline ... as was partly the original intention of the camo.

I am just experimenting with my airborne and and the famous "shell dressing" on the helmets that look totaly flat...

With Gimp you can have approximatively a 3d view, i say only approx, probably you know already this command ! 

tools> tools transforming> than> 3d transformation

this could help sometimes, but in fact this let you see yours images of differents angles, that you can choose and manage like you want, you can also supperposing more pictures to give an border aspect,...nice could be when we can use another format of pictures...perhaps with the new CM3 who know ?? 

here you have an interresting link in case but I think is only when you are using 2d images 

eventualy duplicate layers and lay spaced... 

https://www.mbfbioscience.com/help/microfileplus/Content/2Dto3D.htm

the problem in CM that we can not use another format as bmp, so, you make a beautiful job with jpg, png,vectorial pictures or whatever  but when you try to save it you have a conflict of compability and opacity for this I use another program to save it with alpha chanel Grennfish Icons Editor  (well similar only, is not 100 percent transparent but this help me )  !

So we can have something acceptable, but  like I said approximativ.. !

compare pictures in thread JM s Corner !

So Mark so far from me now hope this help you a little  !

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

23 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Yes this is what I want to check later, first I try to manage a good result with my us airborne helmet...

I am just experimenting with my airborne and and the famous "shell dressing" on the helmets that look totaly flat...

With Gimp you can have approximatively a 3d view, i say only approx, probably you know already this command ! 

tools> tools transforming> than> 3d transformation

this could help sometimes, but in fact this let you see yours images of differents angles, that you can choose and manage like you want, you can also supperposing more pictures to give an border aspect,...nice could be when we can use another format of pictures...perhaps with the new CM3 who know ?? 

here you have an interresting link in case but I think is only when you are using 2d images 

eventualy duplicate layers and lay spaced... 

https://www.mbfbioscience.com/help/microfileplus/Content/2Dto3D.htm

the problem in CM that we can not use another format as bmp, so, you make a beautiful job with jpg, png,vectorial pictures or whatever  but when you try to save it you have a conflict of compability and opacity for this I use another program to save it with alpha chanel Grennfish Icons Editor  (well similar only, is not 100 percent transparent but this help me )  !

So we can have something acceptable, but  like I said approximativ.. !

compare pictures in thread JM s Corner !

So Mark so far from me now hope this help you a little  !

JM

Yes I see what you are getting at JM, useful for visualisation.

What I’m also wondering is if we can make the camouflage part of the 3D model in Blender perhaps. You were working on the helmets for the Hungarians, but how much can you change the shape of the surface, could it be altered to include foliage shapes?

Just a thought 💭 I don’t want to distract you from your projects. Maybe when I have some time I will try a few more Blender experiments. I know that Aquila-SmartWargames managed to get some 3D camouflage on some tanks and halftracks, but may not be possible on a small model such as a helmet ...

23 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

What I’m also wondering is if we can make the camouflage part of the 3D model in Blender perhaps. You were working on the helmets for the Hungarians, but how much can you change the shape of the surface, could it be altered to include foliage shapes?

Hi Mark

I will try to answer your question legibly !

You can understand the composition of a helmet like a real helmet, there is

1 the helmet

2 the under helmet

3 the chin strap and

4 the net
replace these examples in the blender elements by

1 the material shape of the helmet that you can model
2 the interior cone more or less at eye level which defines the dimension that the soldier will wear with the helmet on his head
3 the famous schinstrap that you can work too
4 camouflage which is the texture you add to give your object the final appearance

Warning ... if you work on the cone and change the height or the surface by mistake you end up with a helmet that is too low too high or if the helmet is too small you can see the soldier's head through so you have to be careful.

If you model a new shape of helmet I advise you to split the cone and the helmet, because the cone does not have to be resized, for a normal helmet, on the other hand for a beanie or a flexible hat, you can rework it to give the appearance of "sticking to the ears" and only then work on the shape of your helmet, or even your flexible hat.

Now come the camouflage, you can create more material on the helmet, see my first photo, and model the new material or add 3d models of existing foliage, but the addition of the material will not be independent of the helmet, because to save your model in mdr it will be necessary to integrate it into your basic 3d model, or the helmet itself.

This is the problem with helmets if you want to add an appearance to them with 3d foliage ... any other with the camouflaging of the vehicles or there it is possible to put a texture or to add independent material and to save it in mdr why? mystery !.

The textured image that you will add on the helmet (for example a flower) will take the form of the color of the material and the color of your helmet and not the color of the foliage that you want to put on it.

I don't know if all was understandable but I don't know of another way to explain.

Aquila speaks about the helmet in his speech with the but I cannot find it again I will check in details.

Voili voila !

JM