CM:BN Screenshot Thread #2

2 hours ago, Sulman said:

Playing through 'Bumper Cars' in the Courage and Fortitude campaign I was getting quite despondent. The clock was running and my left flank platoon had bitten off more than it could chew and I couldn't get anything to support them, such is the maze-like nature of the map.

My platoon HQ then spotted two Stugs. "Great", I thought as I have no medium or heavy tanks, just a handful of M8s and M5s. But I did manage to sneak a nearby m5 into a field with LOS to the two stugs. To my astonishment it nailed both of them, one with a single shot causing a catastrophic explosion, and the other other with a penetrating flank shot. The 2nd stug backed up and faced the little stuart and I thought 'Game over', but to my surprise the Stuart just kept up the fire, and to my astonishment scored several penetrating hits to the frontal armour, knocking out the Stug. A real lesson to me not to underestimate the light tank's 37mm gun. Then a third Stug emerged and the little Stuart drove it off with several shots, receiving no incoming fire the whole time.

FNdpjQ0.png

Despite turning to face the threat, I do not believe the Stugs ever got a spot on the Stuart. Cheered me right up, i can tell you. What a great little tank.

'The little tank who could!'  ;)

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

'The little tank who could!'  ;)

Quite. He wasn't so lucky the next turn, though. The Stug disappeared from LOS momentarily and then reappeared to make a successful shot. I had worked two other M5s into a flank position though (figuring he didn't reorient himself) and crept them forward. It took a lot more AP this time. Many penetrating hits (over two turns) before the vehicle caught fire. It made no attempt to fight back this time. The late model Stug IIIG is a little tougher I guess. The points from getting all of them were vital for the victory though.

JC4qf4x.png

Note the 37mm AP holes. He actually rotated 180 degrees trying to run to safety (I'm not actually sure, maybe trying to spot the shooter, or perhaps some crew were dead by this point) and there were a couple in the other side too. Tough old thing. Coming from CMSF2/BS, i am still surprised when penetrating hits don't do much. In the modern titles they're nearly always an 'emotional event'.

Edited by Sulman

2 hours ago, Falaise said:

he took hits in the front too?
it's a great little tank I love to use it

The third stug? Yes, at least one Penetrating hit but plenty bounced off. The other two weren't as robust, but they were the un-skirted earlier types. The M5 that got the first two took a hit to the turret; The gunner and driver bailed. My fault really, I got greedy.

The M5 seems particulary well suited to short range Bocage fights and the canister round is great against infantry

Edited by Sulman

20 minutes ago, Sulman said:

The M5 seems particulary well suited to short range Bocage fights and the canister round is great against infantry

yes it also seems more difficult to spot
I often often get excellent results with the Stuart
I do not know if it is faithfully modeled because I am always surprised by the version without turret adopted by the British which lets me think that it is little to be overvalued in the games

19 hours ago, Sulman said:

JC4qf4x.png

here on this photo at the front I see holes ...
  pierced right through ???

23 hours ago, Sulman said:

the canister round is great against infantry

Yes indeed, I'm always impressed by these rounds on any of the tanks or armoured cars that have them, on either Allied or Axis side.  Sadly they don't carry that many.  Or happily if you're on the other side 😉.

• 3 weeks later...

The British advance continues. Fighting is house-to-house. Churchills and Bren gunners put down suppression fire, while small teams move up to storm a heavy machine gun position. The first team eyes two Germans.

CMBN_122020_1.thumb.jpg.4bc33ac2203e917d8f71ec96c4a078c0.jpg

Several Tommies rush in and discover a lot more Germans!

CMBN_122020_2.thumb.jpg.fb29a244736125d47d77c6cda90ddaa7.jpg

Luckily, the suppression fire has put the enemy in a state of panicked confusion and the heroic team manages to take positions without loss. They let the Germans have it in fine style!

CMBN_122020_3.thumb.jpg.11e7f5f1e0fea6557256da832edf6d59.jpg

The house is cleared. The cost: two men finding the position, but none taking it. Job done and on to the next.

CMBN_122020_4.thumb.jpg.524273d6ad3c8a186c317fb7ed74dbd3.jpg

30 minutes ago, Macisle said:

The 3rd Platoon HQ team, distracted by being called "Wyvern County Shaggers" is 2/3 of the way cut down by MG fire. The loss of the 2 men is bad enough, but the platoon leader is really miffed about the insult. He knows the bravest sheep are in the West Country. 🙂

CMBN_122020_5.thumb.jpg.0e36e6c8a5a8e29caed3cf99cc6383ad.jpg

Hahaha. Brilliant caption.

"Go on boys, there's rough Norman cider at the next farmhouse."

From an AAR I've been making of 'Cut off at Kovering What if' that has been quite literally months in the making - I have been far too busy to put the finishing touches. As frustrating as my inability to get back to Canada for x-mas is this year I am (secretly) looking forward to the free time to put a ribbon on this one. 

https://i.imgur.com/DmS3l8c.mp4

cgAO5Iw.png

WE7r8Qn.png

Scenario is initially a frustrating bit of rompo pallo for the Allied attacker, too little frontage, too little cover and too many men. Once you get stuck in though I find the Germans begin to unravel swiftly. 

Edited by Rinaldi

On 12/19/2020 at 6:24 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

Although they look like West Country sheep shaggers to me.

Reminds me of Jimmy Carr asking a West Country guy how many lovers he´d had. He answered: "let me see..." - and then he fell asleep. 😁

Edited by umlaut