Rubble inadequacies

I think this has been mentioned before, but it's just affecting me now so I'm chiming in: it's very unfortunate how a rubbled building works at the moment. I'm not sure how a defender is supposed to cope with the fact that as soon as a building is knocked down, anyone who was hiding behind it is now totally exposed: as if the building was never there.

1) Why isn't there a massive cloud of dust obscuring LOS to behind the building?

2) Why doesn't the rubble confer cover to people cowering behind it?

GaJ

I agree that rubble could use a small LOS tweak.

In addition to a better more persistent dust cloud, the LOS blockage should correspond to the size and type of structure.

One has to be careful observing this behavior though. Elevation plays a large part. If the spotter has even a small elevation advantage, then the rubble means almost nothing.

------

Until/unless rubble is tweaked you just have to wrap every building wall you can.

Makes a world of difference.

:D

I guess you all knew that you can't go into rubble either. I just discovered that.

Really, buildings are a mess. They provide little or no cover, and less when they are in big smoking heap. And when they are collapsed, they become a no-go zone! How are you supposed to defend in town when some guy brings HE chuckers? Run up the other end of town and wait till he runs out of ammo, I guess...

GaJ

I guess you all knew that you can't go into rubble either. I just discovered that.

Never had this problem. Infantry can enter rubble. Vehicle can't for obvious reasons. ATG can't but IMHO should be able to enter with a penalty.

On the other hand I agree. Rubble is very much abstracted. Often walls remained standing or just a part of the building collapsed. Scenario designers can do something by putting walls - as a workaround.

I think this appearance is mostly due to buildings that span the dividing line between action spots. In this case you can't put a waypoint in the rubble patch, but if you move your pTruppen to a waypoint that's adjacent to the patch, they'll generally seek cover in the 'near half' of the rubble. They won't, IME, even venture out of the rubble, if you've put the waypoint on the far side (that's how I found out - I was struggling with getting an AT team to stop in some rubble, so I plotted a waypoint past it, with a slow move and a delay so I could hopefully cancel their move order at the next order phase with them still somewhere between, in the rubble). Of course, this is all down to the TacAI, and therefore subject, I'd imagine, to some significant variability.

GaJ

Might be true at instances for building/rubble parts that have walls & boundaries intersecting the center of an action spot. That´s for buildings/rubble that in map editor are placed "off center", partly covering just halfs or quarters of neighboring action spots. Also counts for some of the diagonal type structures. Otherwise I did not experience difficulties with infantry moving into rubble so far.