Improving the contact icon

I decided to try Wolfe’s geometric unit icons mod and came across this thought. First, of all the unit icon mods I have tried I believe this concept to be the most logical and functional, and would love to see the game adopt this as stock for situational awareness improvement. The advantages of incorporating unique shaped icons for unit classes allows the silhouettes to fit more naturally into the shape, it allows quicker recognition of units (you notice the different shapes quicker than the different silhouettes to more quickly pick out unit types). The BIGGEST thing that the different shape icons offers is an improvement to the contact icon especially for the real time player who can often miss contact info the WEGO player gets to rewind and see. With this system at least it gives more sensible information for intelligence gathering. If a new contact is noticed by a unit and the player did not see the exact type of unit icon flashed, then the unique shape will give more of general idea of what that unit saw. Knowing that armor was sighted say vs. an infantry will make a difference in intell recon gathering. It may not give the player the exact init (what type of heavy weapon, or tank ect..), but even Gommer Pyle should be able to tell the difference between a tank and a soldier spotted to report that back to the commander (YOU). Unique shape icons per unit class offers more variety to the contact icons for better situation awarness. Great job Wolfe on coming up with this concept. Give his mod a try. I think you will see it is an improvement in many ways.

PS. That should read Vertical rectangle for infantry

shapecontactmarkers.jpg