WIP Take the high Ground

snake_eye

8 shots, of “Take the high ground”, a scenario in progress showing the landscape and the town environment.

The Germans deployed in or near the town will defend it at all cost as they have been ordered. Needless to say, if they can not fulfil that task, they will have to retreat in order and have as many troops, tanks and vehicles exiting to gain points. However, if they do it before inflicting enemy casualties up to the threshold being set, they won’t get enough points

On the US side, the orders are to take the town and prevent the Germans to escape.

A H2H will be available.

The scenario with the river, its 2 bridges and a ford available will be fought on a map of 1000 x 1500 meters. Some hills will provide some cover, while approaching the town. But they will probably be occupied by some forces. The player being able to keep that high ground will be able either to defend the town if he is German or take it if he is playing the US forces.

That is for the moment what I would like to do, but that could change.

Cheers

CMNormandy2011-10-2518-34-34-06.jpg

CMNormandy2011-10-2518-32-09-18.jpg

CMNormandy2011-10-2518-17-08-42.jpg

CMNormandy2011-10-2517-36-09-57.jpg

You are welcome ! :D

BTW let me know how you are doing in Die Amis kommen.

Cheers

Will do, am keeping kind of an overview of the battle, but can't blow opsec yet. Once we complete and Von Kleist and I have a chance to discuss will try to give some very detailed feedback that will also show varying perspectives at different points in the game. We are about to hit the 2 hour mark and it has been a rollercoast of a fight emotionally. We have had a couple short breaks but are still rolling along at a decent pace.

@Sburke

Let me know once your battle is done, I would not like to miss for anything the posted AAR that you and Von Kleist have been collecting about your very intense fight, since the start. I think, that will be helpful to many of us and even to myself.

There are always different ways to get through a battle, we don't even think about.

Cheers

Looks fabulous!

But, wasn't sure about what looks like the iron girder "bridges to nowhere." I don't see any roads to or from those bridges, or any reason for roads there in the first place, so they seem a bit odd.

The Iron bridges have been used around the small harbour, that is damaged, to simulate metallic works that you can see in shipyards. They also simulate turning bridge, sometimes seen on docksides.

Ok, that is not exactly what they look like in a real harbour that is why you have them damaged. That was the closest I could come to depict them.:D

There is another one in the rail yards to simulate a destroyed turning bridge. Like the one found to reverse a rail engine. The rail circle is quite impossible to do, the way I would like it to be. Anyway, the all place has been pounded by the artillery, so girders are found around.

One thing that you have not noticed is the use of stone bridges in the railroad station to simulate the passenger’s platform. For that, their use has been easier.

@Sburke

Let me know once your battle is done, I would not like to miss for anything the posted AAR that you and Von Kleist have been collecting about your very intense fight, since the start. I think, that will be helpful to many of us and even to myself.

There are always different ways to get through a battle, we don't even think about.

Cheers

Sure np, but nothing dramatic in my plan. Get plastered with Arty, regroup, get plastered again, regroup, run around in panic, calm down, regroup, get plastered again. Have a leader rally the men who then gets nailed by a hidden AT gun. Ahh it is all great fun. :D

Seriously though it is a stressful battle as the Americans and takes a bit of bloodthirsty willingness to commit your men knowing you are gonna take some bad casualties no matter what. Hopefully folks will learn from some of the mistakes I have done as I know I made some really basic bad ones at start. Am still in the game though.

@sburke

That's the way some battles are fought with the FOW being felt and afflicting all our sense.

@longleftflank

Coming from you and having seen what you have done in CMSF for USMC Ramadi, I am very touched by the compliment.

I am now working on the area to give the player a landscape enabling him to be able to play realistically either in defence and or attack.

If I consider only one, the other side will be unable to gain or maintain ground without disproportionate ratio of forces. I am starting the most difficult part of the scenario. That is putting down the OOB, working on the A.I plans and testing.

Cheers

@sburke,

Feel free to openly explain your plan including avenues of attack, planned force committments, artillery assets remaining, etc. I'm sure we'd all benefit from your comments on such a great map!:cool:

@snake_eye

I can't wait to get you our AAR, I've got lots of feedback and it's all good, but I'll get specific once our game is over. It's a monster! The clock is ticking, we're 2 hours in out of three, and the real bloodletting is about to begin. Although, sburke may have caught a stray neb round or two:confused:

@Von kleist

I'll let you concentrate on the battle and can't wait either for your AAR. I think that we all are going to learn quite a lot about the way, both of you are fighting that last crucial hour.:cool:

To All:

I think that the new scenario is going to be done like a campaign. That way there will be a short recon phase with M8's and or Stuarts. Then the player will have to decide where its main attack axis should be brought, on the left and or the right of the map landscape. In the second battle depending if he is on the left and or the right, the fight will not be the same. However the possibility to move on the other axis, if the battle engagement permits it, will be feasible.

If the testing allows it, there will be the recon and one battle; If that does not allow the overtake of the main town, then the fight of the town itself will be fought in another battle.

For the time being nothing is granted. I shall have the US force played against the Germans A.I

I shall post some new shots of the landscape viewed from the attacking side. The US forces will have to get through a ford and or a bridge depending on which side they are attacking. There are a lot of marshes between these, negating a frontal attack.

I am currently thinking about the way to get through the bridgehead while keeping my pants on. If I succeed, it will be a go, if not I will have to work on it a bit more.:D

The Recon phase is finished. It is a probe advance to determine which Germans forces you might be against in the next battle. More, you will have to decide to have a left and or right axis attack. To attack on both sides would be to difficult to manage, since it should be a Battalion attack, if you want to gain some ground.

That left and or right attack is going to be done with one Infantry company at the spear, another one in close reserve and the last one ready in the CORE for the third battle. The Infantry will attack with the support of some tanks working closely with them.

A strong artillery barrage will be the prelude of the attack on the objectives.

One thing that will be decided from the testing of the Recon phase is the day hour. For the initial testing it has be done around 08:00 AM to be able to see how things were going. I think that it should be done earlier, but I am not sure, if that way, the recon will be as effective due the poor visibility ?

If there are some of you willing to test the Recon phase, why not. Let me know. That could be done starting sunday and or monday, not being available earlier.

Cheers