Strange Sherman Kill

Hey guys

Haven't posted for a long time, been too busy playing this awesome game--seriously, every other WW2 game I've tried (mostly FPS) is full of poor design decisions giving in to the mainstream gamer, but not CMBN. Great job guys, your efforts are appreciated.

I'm posting now because something really weird happened & I want to make sure it wasn't a bug. Anyone here ever seen a PSW222 destroy a Sherman? It was in a QB I was playing--night mission, point blank fire (maybe 15-25 meters) on the Shermans left side, of course with 20mm. Anyway the Sherman exploded, probably the ammo storage was hit. Unfortunately I didn't think to save the turn, but maybe you could set up a test scenario? I'm thinking the Sherman was an M4.

Just thought you guys might like to know about that, and thanks from a very satisfied customer.

Going by the CMx1 figures, its a 51mm turret side, at 85% quality, so equivalent ~43mm.

The 20mm AP goes in at 32mm at 100m, I doubt that would go up at any less distance, but maybe.

Anyway it sounds like it is approaching being a marginal pen, but sounds a bit of a long shot. Maybe a weak spot?

I don't think weakening of armour after a hit is modelled, but with the above figures I can easily believe a burst of 3-4 20mm AP rounds would damage and penetrate.

Edit: I notice you didn't specify turret, the hull sides are only 38mm*0.85=~32mm, so easily possible.

"c'est la guerre" I would say.

looking at the dynamics of the 20 mm KwK 30 firing Pzgr 40 at 1,050 m/s penetrating 40-49mm (sources differ, although 40mm is mentioned more) at 100m. Penetration of 38mm side armor for the M4 with a burst seems reasonable.

True enough......but did they have any ? Pzgr40 was a tungsten core round which most sources say Germany was almost out of post 1943 as no source for Tungsten was available.

True enough......but did they have any ? Pzgr40 was a tungsten core round which most sources say Germany was almost out of post 1943 as no source for Tungsten was available.

Pz Gr 39 penetrated 20mm@100m. No idea if 38mm can be penetrated with a burst.

Didn't they have a steel core Pz.Gr. later in the war? Not as good as tungsten, but better than Pz.Gr. 39?

Going by the CMx1 figures, its a 51mm turret side, at 85% quality, so equivalent ~43mm.

The 20mm AP goes in at 32mm at 100m, I doubt that would go up at any less distance, but maybe.

Anyway it sounds like it is approaching being a marginal pen, but sounds a bit of a long shot. Maybe a weak spot?

I don't think weakening of armour after a hit is modelled, but with the above figures I can easily believe a burst of 3-4 20mm AP rounds would damage and penetrate.

Edit: I notice you didn't specify turret, the hull sides are only 38mm*0.85=~32mm, so easily possible.

No, it didn't hit the turret; left side almost perpendicular to the tank, about 2/3 of the way front to back.

Is there not a way to tell what round is being used?

You can see what rounds are counting down while your AC is firing. But even with a regular AP round you are going into pretty thin armour at 0 deg. The figures used in the previous CM games call that a marginal penetration and I can't see why CMBN would be too different.

It's also going right into the engine or fuel tank if does penetrate.

IOW it is not so unlikely as to be suspicious.

well even the m4a3 sherman (most advanced sherman tank in that timeframe) has 38mm@0° of side hull armor. when you additionally take into account what animal mother hast stated (85% armor quality: 32,3mm) then it`s not that hard for that 20mm cannon at point blank range to penetrate the shermans side armor. according to cm1 modelling the 20mm ap shell has like it was already said 32mm at 100m penetration capability. so you do not need any pzgr40 to penetrate the side with a 20mm cannon.

well even the m4a3 sherman (most advanced sherman tank in that timeframe) has 38mm@0° of side hull armor. when you additionally take into account what animal mother hast stated (85% armor quality: 32,3mm) then it`s not that hard for that 20mm cannon at point blank range to penetrate the shermans side armor. according to cm1 modelling the 20mm ap shell has like it was already said 32mm at 100m penetration capability. so you do not need any pzgr40 to penetrate the side with a 20mm cannon.

perfect - no troubles with the tungsten story. BTW up to early 44 it seems that tungsten was being delivered in decent amounts by Portugal and Spain. In early 44 Allied pressure on Spain reduced this source quite a bit (officially at least). Only after the retreat from France in August both sources dried up.

Well I has a suprise yesterday, a PzIV poppod out of nowhere, on of my GIs launched a rifle grenade at it, penetrated and made the crew bail, the crew was destroyed, but that didnt stop the rest of my platoon launching some 6 bazooka rounds and the rest of its rifle grenades at its side armour. Still the panzer did not apear "knocked out", took a 75mm HEAT M8 HMC round to finish it off.

Still the panzer did not apear "knocked out", took a 75mm HEAT M8 HMC round to finish it off.

I think the key word hear is "appear". The status of enemy assets is subject to FoW, and it's entirely possible your GroPos were simply unaware (or unconvinced) of the vehicle's inoperability, only being satisfied of its destruction when a bigger gun made it go "boom".

I think the key word hear is "appear". The status of enemy assets is subject to FoW, and it's entirely possible your GroPos were simply unaware (or unconvinced) of the vehicle's inoperability, only being satisfied of its destruction when a bigger gun made it go "boom".

oh yeah ofcourse I knew it was out of action, its just my men seemed to not realise :) or just wanted to make sure. seen it happen plenty of times in CMSF.

FoW shouldn't really apply when you see the crew bail though.