[WIP-PREVIEW] Tanks a Lot's Normandy buildings

Juju

Is transparency working properly for occupied and damaged buildings? Many of the stock independent buildings have transparency issues (compared to modular),

I wasn't aware of any transparancy issues myself. In any case, I don't think we've ever tested that.

not sure if new textures alone can correct that.

New textures won't magically fix graphical engine problems, so my guess is no.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an ever changing world, it is so a warming thought that Tanks a Lot is still around and create mods (that actually goes for Juju too). I want to thank him for this upcoming wonderful work, and also all the great times I´ve had with his stuff in the past (that actually goes for Juju too).

Cheers!

In an ever changing world, it is so a warming thought that Tanks a Lot is still around and create mods (that actually goes for Juju too). I want to thank him for this upcoming wonderful work, and also all the great times I´ve had with his stuff in the past (that actually goes for Juju too).

Cheers!

What Gurra said

I wasn't aware of any transparancy issues myself. In any case, I don't think we've ever tested that.

New textures won't magically fix graphical engine problems, so my guess is no.

Depending on camera distance, you will notice that some occupied independent buildings have inconsistent transparency on certain surfaces, either 100% or 0% transparency where it should be partial (50%?). Also, some interior walls/floors show complete transparency when they should be solid on partially destroyed buildings.

Probably is a coding issue, but might also be specific to the textures (alpha channels perhaps?).

Depending on camera distance, you will notice that some occupied independent buildings have inconsistent transparency on certain surfaces, either 100% or 0% transparency where it should be partial (50%?). Also, some interior walls/floors show complete transparency when they should be solid on partially destroyed buildings.

Probably is a coding issue, but might also be specific to the textures (alpha channels perhaps?).

Never noticed that before myself, but thanks for that bit of info. I'll be looking out for it.

These look really good. Can't wait to see the final versions.

A couple of minor critiques:

- It is unlikely that a stone building would have a brick chimney, or that plaster would be applied over brick. Most Norman town buildings are close-fitting exposed stone with stone chimneys, or plaster over stone; rural buildings will sometimes have a rougher exposed stone look.

- Most Norman buildings are a sort of light beige color rather than grey; I suspect this is simply due to the color of the local stone.

I have plenty of color photos if they are desired. Just let me know if I can help.

Again, the walls don't go down to the ground with independent buildings, they hit that big base, so anything added down there will only look like it's growing out of the base, not the ground.

I tried experimenting with different type plants a while back, and at least the potted plant can be said to be sitting on the base, the others just don't look correct growing out of the base. None of them, or anything can help with the sharp edge between building and ground.

baseplants-1.jpg

So it's basically (1) no doodads at all, (2) things like potted plants that can appear to sit on top of the base, but will be flat from angles or (3) ivy or other foliage that grows out of the top of the base not the ground.

These look really good. Can't wait to see the final versions.

A couple of minor critiques:

- It is unlikely that a stone building would have a brick chimney, or that plaster would be applied over brick. Most Norman town buildings are close-fitting exposed stone with stone chimneys, or plaster over stone; rural buildings will sometimes have a rougher exposed stone look.

- Most Norman buildings are a sort of light beige color rather than grey; I suspect this is simply due to the color of the local stone.

I have plenty of color photos if they are desired. Just let me know if I can help.

The first 2 buildings are entirely grayish plaster, with exposed bricks where I added damage. I can try swapping out the reddish bricks for light beige stones, but isn't gray colored plaster acceptable? Or is it supposed to be light beige too?

Changing the chimneys from brick to stone would be a pain, it was very tough to get the bricks to line up, since one side gets stretched vertically.

I'd like to see those color photos, thanks.

Nice work!

Putting a "gapped" high bocage abutting the side of a 2-3 story house is a little dense for ivy up close but doesn't look too bad at a distance.

It also provides very good additional cover for the ground floor -- bocage is a lot sturdier than stone and brick walls. I'm using this expedient to toughen up some of the walls of my fortified chateau.

So it's basically (1) no doodads at all, (2) things like potted plants that can appear to sit on top of the base, but will be flat from angles or (3) ivy or other foliage that grows out of the top of the base not the ground.

Love the over all look of the buildings. I vote for option (1). Assuming you are interested in a vote:)

Here's some photos - I tried to select a variety of details. Hopefully they are helpful to you.

The colors look closer to grey in flat light in photos, but in reality the beige tones in the brighter shots come through consistently. There are some buildings that are arguably grey, but even then it's a warmer shade. There are also more brick chimneys than I recalled, so that may be a less valid criticism on my part.

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

2-45.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

Sgt Schultz,

Nice workaround. If I were to nitpick, I'd prefer to see a few more gaps in the base vegetation and maybe some variation in color -- the way it looks now covers the base, but it's a bit overpowering and actually seems to draw attention to itself rather than just looking like natural stuff growing here and there. Don't know if this is possible or worth your time, but just my 2 cents.

:drools:

This is going to be worth it no matter how long it takes.

Here is an editor workaround I did to hide bases. Is it possible to do something like putting a layer on the actual bases?

Well done, that's a neat trick. I tried playing around with the bases, but it looks impossible to really do anything with them. Modular buildings don't have a base, so adding a layer of plants to the bottom of the walls should work... I think.

Here is a non-modular with hedge in strategic places...

building5.jpg

As long as the building edge/corner aligns with tile center, you can place walls or hedges along or around a structure.

I see what you mean about bases TaL, it looks like designers may want to just hedge/wall wrap when they can for best effect.

You could also tell Steve & Co you will do their next set of buildings for them if they remove bases. :D