[WIP-PREVIEW] Tanks a Lot's Normandy buildings

Juju

Most of the old-timers on this forum will remember Tanks a Lot as one of the more prolific CMx1 modders, responsible for many excellent and original terrain and building mods. You'll all be happy to learn that he is (and has been for the last 4 months) working his magic on several all new building textures.

So far, as his only tester, I'm about the only person that gets to see what he's up to, and in my opinion it's getting to a point where it would be a shame not to share a few glimpses of what's in the works.

So, I've asked Tanks a Lot to allow me to create a little presentation, while he, not unlike Charles' brain inna jar, continues slaving away in Photoshop.

What you see below is a work-in-progress preview of all-new original artwork featuring some really sick attention to detail. Every window, brick, stone or crack in plaster is unique. You will not find any repeating textures here!

Here's the thing you won't like: As of now there is no set number of buildings to be modded (there are four in the works at the moment, with three shown below). And although the buildings that are currently 'under construction' may look finished to you, everything you see is still subject to change and further improvement.

As a matter of fact there is currently no, I repeat, NO release date at all! This is strictly a when-it's-done project, and I'd advise the impatient ones among you not to hold your breath. Release will likely be months, maybe even as far as a year away! No one can tell. It's hard, but you'll just have to be patient.

I'm sure you will all like what you see below. And if you do; give praise, loud and often! :-)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks really good! Are these for the modular buildings?

No, these are all independent buildings.

Some smashed-out glass and broken frames on some windows would look good, too.

Broadsword, if you look closely you'll see those are already in!

Thanks for all the lovely work.

BTW: Do the buildings gradually degrade after being shot at? Also, the only other thing that I still notice is the unrealistically straight and clean line where the building base meets the ground.

Is there any way to make that rougher to hide that line?

BTW: Do the buildings gradually degrade after being shot at? Also, the only other thing that I still notice is the unrealistically straight and clean line where the building base meets the ground.

Is there any way to make that rougher to hide that line?

Yes, buildings still degrade when shot up.

The building base you see is hard-coded, and is actually the extremely compressed interior floor texture. There's nothing that can be done about that. It's just one of many graphics engine issues and limitations.

I want to thank Juju for all the hard work he put into this preview, and all the great comments and suggestions he makes to help me improve the look of these buildings.

I know I can't make everybody happy. Removing the potted plants and watering can will probably cause others to say the base of the walls need something, because they are too empty.

Because of game limitations, I am very limited in what I can do, not to mention all the limitations in my skill. Since the wall doesn't go down to the ground, a layer of plants/weeds, that might otherwise help the building blend in with the ground better, is really out of the question.

Love them. At first the flower pot and ladder where alittle jarring. However I now like them. From a distance they will look good and break up the wall texture abit.

I understand the limits of the engine and after all it's all about the combat so 2d flower pots and ladders wont look out of place. At least until we get more flavour objects.

From a distance I like the items painted onto the walls. Maybe have some ivy, a few flowers or patches of grass painted on the sides as well? Anything to disguise that straight line that still makes CMBN buildings look a bit like "model railroad" buildings set on a flat surface.