Advanced Third Reich Mod and v1.06

v1.06 updates:

• Improved AI and turn speed

• New Submarine and Destroyer rules for better handling of surprise enemy contact, diving and naval combat

• New Fighter interception modeling with double intercepts of enemy Bombers and Tactical Bombers.

• Air units can now move at 50% of available action points when located on a snow, rain and sandstorm tile

The latest changes from v1.05 and v1.06 should not affect the mod. I verified that single intercepts still work OK by default. Question is whether to make some CTV changes to allow multiple interceptions for Fighters and Carriers? I intend to playtest a game soon with the major powers having 2 intercepts and see how it goes. My thought is that this may be too much of an advantage for Axis in early years and then for Allies in later years, at least for this WWII game. Curious what others who may still be playing this might think and whether there are any other suggested changes to consider. Thanks!

Alright, here's what I have so far for an update:

=================================================================

Advanced Third Reich for SC-WWII Global Conflict v1.06

DATA CHANGES

- set new CTVs for Interceptions to 1 (default, no change) for all Fighters and Carriers

- slightly reduced naval build costs for Cruisers (300->250), Battleships (350->300), and Carriers (400->350)

SCRIPT CHANGES

- revised De Gaulle unit event to ensure no Axis units within 2 tiles of Paris upon placement

- slightly reduced trigger for Siberian Transfer unit event from 80% to 75%

- added German garrison scripts for Algeria, Morocco, Syria and Tunisia if Vichy France not created (1939 only)

- added transport_minor scripts for German and Italian reinforcements to Syria if Vichy France not created (1939 only)

- added British offensive script for Syria if Vichy France not created (1939 only)

- fixed territory event for Cyprus variant to be default (1939 and 1941 only)

In my playtest game as Allies versus Axis AI I experienced the no Vichy France choice and noticed several weaknesses worth correcting. And a few other minor tweaks. I don't think the double intercepts had much effect but given no compelling reason to change I prefer to keep the default single intercepts.

I'm not exactly in a rush to get this out. Still looking for any comments if anybody has some. And I may get in another playtest game. So early November maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I've got any AARs for the latest Global Conflict version? There are the articles I wrote for Wargamer.com at http://www.wargamer.com/articles/strategy-and-tactics-article/artificial-intelligence-part-i-using-strategic-command-2-ai-to-play-advanced-third-reich-2526.html and http://www.wargamer.com/articles/strategy-and-tactics-article/artificial-intelligence-–-part-ii-an-ai-versus-ai-after-action-review-for-advanced-third-reich-2527.html; however, the screenshots did not seem to get transfered when Wargamer updated its site. But you can still get a pretty good idea of the action from reading along. And that's from the old Patton Drives East version.

FWIW I played a round as Allies this past weekend. I have concluded that Expert +1.5 is just too much (for me) and my Axis AI was brutal to say the least. There was the invasion of Spain in 1940, Sealion in 1941 AFTER Barbarossa started (in May), and then invasion of Turkey in 1942. The Battle of the Atlantic just kept going and going. I ended up fighting an interesting campaign through Spain with Bradley and Eisenhower. But by mid-1944 Allies were just slogging to get anywhere; I kept advancing but it was clear that victory would not come until late 1945 if then. I think the final straw was after the Brits finally took Libya and were pressing on to Tunis (in 1944) and Italian airborne dropped into Tripoli behind me. I mean, that's just enough, not to mention how many transports I lost throughout the game. It was brutal. From now on, Expert +1 should be fine. It's worth sharing this little story 'cuz there's still folks who swear no AI is worthy of playing, but I beg to differ. ;)

For my v1.06 update, I'll likely add a correction for artillery upgrades (50% is too high) and do something to reduce strategic bomber losses from targets without AA. I'm still pondering a few more things. As always.

OK here are the final changes that went into the latest updates that I just posted to the repository and should be available soon for download:

Advanced Third Reich for SC-WWII Global Conflict v1.06

DATA CHANGES

- set new CTVs for Interceptions to 1 (default, no change) for all Fighters and Carriers

- slightly reduced naval build costs for Cruisers (300->250), Battleships (350->300), and Carriers (400->350)

- reduced artillery upgrade costs from 50% to 25%

SCRIPT CHANGES

- revised De Gaulle unit event to ensure no Axis units within 2 tiles of Paris upon placement

- slightly reduced trigger for Siberian Transfer unit event from 80% to 75%

- added German garrison scripts for Algeria, Morocco, Syria and Tunisia if Vichy France not created (1939 only)

- added transport_minor scripts for German and Italian reinforcements to Syria if Vichy France not created (1939 only)

- added German offensive script for Spain if Vichy France not created

- added British offensive script for Syria if Vichy France not created (1939 only)

- fixed territory event for Cyprus variant to be default (1939 and 1941 only)

- added unit events for German and UK garrisons in Bergen for pro-Axis or pro-Allied coup in Norway (1939 only)

Since Global Conflict GOLD has been announced, let me say that I am moving on to convert A3R to the GOLD version. Once that's done, I should then be able to easily port it over to the WWI game. :cool:

• 7 months later...

Hi Panzer,

I downloaded the mod and installed the latest versions into the global game - not gold. However, when I start the game it still shows version 1.04 for the mods in the campaign selection. I think you might have told me before that this was overlooked? Other than that, how could I find out if I installed it correctly?

Thanks