Infantry Pathfinding-Tactical question

Here we have an Ami team inside a bunker. I've given them a dismount order but notice that now the movement panel is blacked out:

16982702.jpg

They exit the turn during the resolution phase at an unsatisfactory oblique angle depending on the axis (haha) of the German advance. You probably want to give them a perpendicular crawl and hide command but the game won't let you. This is an arguably more critical situation than the case of simple dismounting or bailing out a vehicle. Could this be due to the fact that the bunker is in an 'immobilized' state?

73896652.jpg

Here we have an Ami team inside a bunker. I've given them a dismount order but notice that now the movement panel is blacked out:

16982702.jpg

They exit the turn during the resolution phase at an unsatisfactory oblique angle depending on the axis (haha) of the German advance. You probably want to give them a perpendicular crawl and hide command but the game won't let you. This is an arguably more critical situation than the case of simple dismounting or bailing out a vehicle. Could this be due to the fact that the bunker is in an 'immobilized' state?

73896652.jpg

Shows some off the oddities for pillboxes in the game well. With the gridded terrain, one also notices that the pillboxes are not placed at the center of an action spot, but rather in an arc on the edges (to enable creating the rectangular pit when "sunken"?), depending upon "Face". Might be this the cause of the odd disembarking behavior?

I had an occasion lately where a disembarking order created a visible and editable waypoint behind the (concrete) pillbox into an AS with a trench. I had 2 small units in there (Btl. HQ + HQ support team). I clicked the HMG floating icon (icon for the pillbox) and the waypoint appeared. During the turn, BOTH units disembarked into the trench.

cmnormandydisembarkorde.jpg

Next turn:

cmnormandyafterdisembar.jpg

I had an occasion lately where a disembarking order created a visible and editable waypoint behind the (concrete) pillbox into an AS with a trench. I had 2 small units in there (Btl. HQ + HQ support team). I clicked the HMG floating icon (icon for the pillbox) and the waypoint appeared. During the turn, BOTH units disembarked into the trench.

That seems counter-intuitive based on the mechanics with vehicles. There the player selects the vehicle, orders a dismount and the passengers carry out the movement. Not sayin' you're wrong.

I'll check it out.

Repeated the above test. Clicked the PB (HMG) icon which was in "posession" of the Btl. HQ (I obviously loaded it first in there), then clicked "dismount". BOTH units created a movement point into the trench and dismounted into it orderly during the action phase.

On another test, this time the HQ support team posesses the pillbox (random swap, after reload game). The Btl. HQ can "move" out normally, while the HQ support team had to wait, until the Btl. HQ exited.

Obviously one team serves just like the "driver" in a truck/APC/jeep, with the other team beeing the "loadee". Think that explains it some.

I'm coming to the conclusion the general wonkiness of bunkers constitutes a mystery like the Eucharist. Or, more apropos, a door Man was not meant to open.

Ok...figured it out finally. The shelters fit a crew of 9 overall and if embarking a full squad (of 9), it would be the "driver" (or doorman...) and normal vehicle embarking/dismounting procedure applies.

If the squad is split, preferably a scout team of 2-3 men, then this is to mount the shelter first, serving as driver/doorman. Now the remaining squad can mount second and after that can move out again, with normal move commands.

So if using bunkers, it appears to be wise to have at least 2 units mount it, with the one entering first, that you prefer to move out last (preferably a very small team).

Ok...figured it out finally. The shelters fit a crew of 9 overall and if embarking a full squad (of 9), it would be the "driver" (or doorman...) and normal vehicle embarking/dismounting procedure applies.

If the squad is split, preferably a scout team of 2-3 men, then this is to mount the shelter first, serving as driver/doorman. Now the remaining squad can mount second and after that can move out again, with normal move commands.

So if using bunkers, it appears to be wise to have at least 2 units mount it, with the one entering first, that you prefer to move out last (preferably a very small team).

I think you accurately described the current mechanics for 'dismounting' a shelter/pillbox.

But I don't believe it's normal procedure for vehicles. In a vehicle, say a half track, the player can unload the passengers, dismount the crew and give them all movement orders in the same phase.