CMBB is The Best

Hi

I sure have enjoyed CMBB over the years and really wish Battlefront would have used the same engine on subsequent periods in history such as the Korean War, Vietnam, Middle East, Nato-Warsaw Pact and the present day.

I think it is so good that current Battlefront offerings are not much of an improvement and perhaps too video intensive.

Or at least provide an editor for CMBB so that we could develop newer tanks ourselves?

Please consider this! :)

Dave

Part of the problem with the CMx1 series (that CMBB is a part of) is that it was so hard to add content into the game engine that it was a really frustrating experience for all involved. One of the improvements to CMx2 was with adding data/units into the game.

Unfortunately such fixes couldn't be back-ported to the CMx1 series. The engine had to be gutted in order to make such changes.

While CMx2 still has its limitations, it does have a bit more room to evolve than the CMx1 series did.

As far as I know, BF don't want to open the code of CMx1 series because they want to safe its' compatibility. If all users will be free to make changes, there is no compatibility between same game from different users.

...it´s what they say, but on the opposite, there´s many game companies that are quite successfull with opening up their games to modders, modellers, scripters and the like. ARMA2 anybody? At least this one does not drop me out with unexplainable OOM messages, no matter what quality settings I use.

It´ll take yet many patches, modules..maybe even CMX3 til one can consider CMBB and CMAK dead. We´ll see....

• 4 weeks later...
With Poland '39 and France '40, this game would live forever. Just like Steel Panthers and all of its extensions.

CMSF is dead already, who knows what will happen to CMBN.

Come on, some crazy team of dudes is gonna make this a reality, some day. This is just meant to happen :)

...and you base this odd statement on what?

Btw I'm on a CM website. Before BN roughly 20% of ladder games registered were CMSF, 2 years after it was out, other were BO/BB/AK. Almost no new long time members emerged during that period.

Now it's 80% CMBN, 20% Cmx1, and no CMSF games at all, or so.

I let you draw your own statement.

That people who play ladder games want balance (see the current CMBN thread about players seeking balance in scenarios for H2H play)?

It's harder to get that in CMSF scenarios due to the nature of the fighting and the units? Many people play against the AI only (in fact and point of fact more people play against the AI than play H2H: source BFC themselves) so I'm sure that plenty people are still playing CMSF. I've got a scenario that is a CMSF one and it's had over 2000 downloads and still going strong (gets about two or downloads a day). So someone is playing it ;)

You win.

You also come at the perfect moment. I haven't played any of the Blowtorch website scens and ops, and I'm a verrwwwy slow-pace HvH only. Guess I've got enough material for years to come.

Still, Poland and France got to be done. Cmx-whatever.

:)

He! :) Think it was a win/win situation there - hope you enjoy the Blowtorch scenarios as much as I've enjoyed making them.

Cheers fur noo

George

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to come over here and perhaps start a thread with the exact same title. Glad someone beat me to it. I do like some of the graphical improvements with CMAK, but it is hard....and maybe will never be done again.....to recreate the breadth of CMBB. 1941 weapons are so different from 1945, and all the different nations and units. I agree with the poster who wrote that a Polish Campaign module, and German invasion of France module, would extend the franchise for a long time.

And I think there is a specific time, from the mid 1930s to the mid 1950s, which has specific characteristics to be modeled. It is after the horse (though always missed in CM having the horse-drawn transport of PanzerBlitz), but before most non-steel armament. It is still more gunpowder than electronics, and it is just before: if I see you, you are dead.

Just got my eight year old son interested, at the moment he commands and I move his units, but it's been great to design some small scenarios for him. A very aggressive little boy, especially when commanding a platoon of Tigers, who tore apart my Kursk style field defences, undaunted by AT guns, mines, tank hunters and a start line barrage!

• 4 weeks later...

Ahhh, youth at it's finest!!! I am hoping to get one of the two step sons into CM. The oldest loves his plastic army men, and I am slowly introducing him to groghood ;) "No son, that's the M20 Bazooka, not the M1 or M9" lol He really enjoys watching me play CMBN, and liked CMBB too, but being young the graphics of CMx2 really get his imagination going. I got him some old toys I used to have, an SU-100 and a BTR-80. And I took him to an air exhibition at the local airport to see an authentic A6M2 Zero, P-40E Warhawk, F4U-1A Corsair, P-51D Mustang, and a strafer B-25J. He might have had as much fun as I did, and that's not a bad thing at all. Got to meet a man who crewed aboard the Navy version of the B-24, the PB4Y, talking about altimeters that didn't work well while flying 20 feet over the Atlantic!!!

Anyways, I think that the most important thing that we as avid war gamers and history buffs alike can do is pass this passion on to the next generation. CM games are the PERFECT medium for this. It was Steel Panthers that got me interested in the ground aspect of WWII, and it will be CM that does it for my future grogs.

BTW - I also have a set of 16 month old twin girls!!! I am hoping at least one of them is into WWII stuff, but with girls you never know, but at least the step sons are there for me to vent my teachings to. ;)

• 1 month later...

I now believe my son is closely related to devil, given his luck. He now is moving units himself with a randomness that is at times bordering on tactical genius and at others suicidal. Typical move, a squad runs 250m ahead of HQ ("hmm, that line should be red, shoudn't it?") into the enemy village. Result, daddy prepares fragile ego'd boy for the imminent slaughter of his men. Hit play, sure enough the AI opens up with a flank ambush of a squad plus DP at 80m, result zero casualties! The squad continue running, reach a house, unoccupied naturally, calmly recover and suppress the Reds. Even better his bizzare Stug move paths (at one stage they were facing backwards) allows them to gain a keyhole firing position, and soon 75L24 shells are arcing down range!

When I inform him, in an outraged tone, that if I had done that the computer would have shredded me, he smiles beautifically and orders another bizzare move, which succeeds in unhinging the other flank of the Russian defense! Must check his scalp for strange numeric markings! love this game, and his interest in WWII is again rekindled!!