"Must have mods" for the overwhelmed

japinard

I guess one could say lazy by not researching every single one of these, but I'd like to get back into the game and need some of the most popular mods to play along. There used to be a site called "CMBO files"? Is that still around? Or is the repository the "place to go" nowadays?

What I'm looking for most are:

* Better terrain

* Better interface

* Better model textures

Thanks! :)

There are lots on the repository, the only other big place I know of is CMMODS.

*Better terrain

There are a couple but right now I'm using Aris Terrain Mod and really like it. Gets rid of the super bright colors of vanilla, without changing things too much. There are a couple others that are good as well.

*Better interface

IMHO Juju's Tweaked UI is a must have. I can't imagine going back to the default.

*Better model textures

Definitely start with all of the Aris mods for vehicles, they are amazing.

For infantry, I like Veins Germans and 82nd Airborne, along with EZ US Uniforms.

Some others would be all of Veins tweaks like flames, muzzleflash, skies, etc. There are also a couple choices for sound mods, you'll just have to try them and see what you like.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The repository is quite a chore to wade through, and time consuming as the sort function gets reset every time you download an item.

I am grabbing everything from Vein, Aris, & EZ's uniforms right now. As far as sound mods, which are your personal favorite? I think we have the same taste if you're the ranger I knew from CMBO many year's ago.

I'm probably not the same person, only been using this name for a few years. Anyway, right now I have Veins sounds and like them, but I think the other ones are good too, just have a different "feel" to them.

One tip on the repository is to open each mod in a new tab. Saves a lot of time! Once you get caught up it's easy to just check this forum once a week to see what's new.

Also recommended:

Force Specific BG for Red and Blue (vastly increases the B/W pics that cycle when you start the game).

Dietrich's German voices

Lt. Smash WW2 Floating Icons (better than the default)

Different music options for INTRO, SPLASH and END OF BATTLE

Mord's Ravaged German Faces

Mord's Immersive US Voices

Vin's Animated Text

<snip>

*Better interface

IMHO Juju's Tweaked UI is a must have. I can't imagine going back to the default.

<snip>

Ranger33 has given you a great list. I have not tired any terrain mods but I have all the others he mentions. The only other three that I really really like and don't like to play with out are two mods for changing the floating icons and one for making the animated text way better.

For the floating icons:

CMBN Icons_billy_sp

Changes the floating icons to use the German and US period tactical symbols. It did take me a while to get used to the German ones (the US ones are very similar to the modern NATO ones I am familiar with. But after a while I have really grown to like the German symbols too.

Niessuh_icon_contact_Balkenkreuz

Changes the ? contact icons to stars and crosses for the US and German's respectively.

For the animated text:

Vin's animated text - CMBN v2.0

Now instead of cryptic ASCII art there are real icons that have meaning.

Other campaigns available:

Assault on Lucherberg

Courage and Fortitude (Warning: don't attempt until you think you have mastered CMBN.)

Panzer Marsch

Task Force Raff

Road to Montebourg

From other posts here and at BoB re difficulty levels:

Easy:

Barkmann's corner (Axis)

Medium:

Bois de Baugin (Axis)

Difficult:

Crossroads at Monthardrou (Allied)

Bloody Dawn (Axis)

Extreme:

Courage and Fortitude (Allied campaign)

Best vs AI CMBN:

Assault at Hubederie is particularly nasty...but great!

Spam and Jam

Das Dorf des Todes

At Another Crossraods

Objective Eisenbahn

It's Just a Bridge

The Crossroads at Monthardrou

Pointe du Hoc

By the way, skimbo, if you're at all interested i the Italian Theater, you need sdp's Italian Campaign Mod.

Hey MJkerner

Is there an italian campaign? Sorry I'm confused - thought this was all about Normandy. Are there some campaign mods people have done simulating Italian campaign using the Normandy stuff?

Regards

Skimbo

By the way, skimbo, if you're at all interested i the Italian Theater, you need sdp's Italian Campaign Mod.

Hey MJkerner

Is there an italian campaign? Sorry I'm confused - thought this was all about Normandy. Are there some campaign mods people have done simulating Italian campaign using the Normandy stuff?

Regards

Skimbo

Yep. AFAIK though there are no campaigns or scenarios intended to make use of it yet, though. This may change--I have a campaign concept in the works, no idea whether it'll get finished or not though. ;)

Yep. AFAIK though there are no campaigns or scenarios intended to make use of it yet, though. This may change--I have a campaign concept in the works, no idea whether it'll get finished or not though. ;)

skimbo, FM Blucher is correct. Only the terrain/troops are modded. No scenarios or campaigns yet. I'm slowly building a Cassino map, but it won't arrive until God knows when.....

• 5 weeks later...

The para uniforms use a different image and 3D model than the infantry, GhostRider. That's hardcoded into the game. Glider infantry use the regular infantry uniform/model. My mod is set up so that if you use the glider infantry mod, you get the regular infantry uniform...which glider troops wore, but with appropriate glider infantry patch.

The para uniforms use a different image and 3D model than the infantry, GhostRider. That's hardcoded into the game. Glider infantry use the regular infantry uniform/model. My mod is set up so that if you use the glider infantry mod, you get the regular infantry uniform...which glider troops wore, but with appropriate glider infantry patch.

Ahh, ok thanks so much mjkerner... still getting used to dowmloading mods etc. I have to say the changes are great, and would hope maybe they could incorperate this somehow to the new games they will come out with in the future.

Say... do all the mods go in the Z folder? I just downloaded some new Loading Pictures, and was curious if they also go in the Z folder.... just checking.

thanks so much everyone has been very helpful