No rugby world cup thread.

gautrek

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

w00t! I've just scored a couple of tickets to the Oirland v Jones&Jones game this Sat! :D

You lucky thing, you! That'll probably be the best game of the 4. My preconceptions tell me that SA vs Oz will be decided on whether the saffers can bring their mass to bear, the Franglais match will either be a romp that England turn into a dour slugfest or a resurgent France making mincemeat of pedestrian England, and yes, the Argies vs the ABs will be a one-sided shoeing. Gonna watch 'em all this time though, I think.

Apparently so.

Wales played a pretty much error-free game to beat Ireland, whereas France were enabled by a fumbling England - next week I think the Welsh "A" game will not give France as much leeway as they were given tonight....assuming hey bring it of course!

Wales-New Zealand for the final! :)

As an aside - I think England are probably one of the bigger TV audiences....not sure what the others might be - Sth Africa perhaps?? So I wonder if the prospect of Sth Africa & England out at the quarter-finals (if that happens) will get the TV paymasters thinking just how much the rights to the event are worth??

Apparently so.

Wales played a pretty much error-free game to beat Ireland, whereas France were enabled by a fumbling England - next week I think the Welsh "A" game will not give France as much leeway as they were given tonight....assuming hey bring it of course!

If the Oz/SA game tomorrow is as watchable as the Celtic game, I'll be a happy bunny. It's the "If England had played to their potential all game instead of for the last 15..." refrain again.

Wales-New Zealand for the final! :)

Don't think there'll be very many bets against that after today. That Welsh defense looks a lot less porous than England's

As an aside - I think England are probably one of the bigger TV audiences....not sure what the others might be - Sth Africa perhaps?? So I wonder if the prospect of Sth Africa & England out at the quarter-finals (if that happens) will get the TV paymasters thinking just how much the rights to the event are worth??

I certainly intend to watch all 7 remaining matches, but you're right that many partisan supporters won't any more. In the era of PVRs and cable set-top boxes, I'm wondering how many people are just skipping through the punditry and hype (and associated advertising); being screened before lunch, I'm not inclined to head to the boozer to watch...

lol - nope, but I do suck at this :D

Good game by GirtBySea. SethEfrika had it all over Girt in the stats (87% territory, I saw at one point!) but they just couldn't turn that into points without a good old fashioned forward pass. Still, I thought SethEfrika were going to hold their one point lead, but then the penalty ...

Edit: hmm, I do hope the Bargies manage to buck the trend that's developing here, and lose like they're supposed to :eek: Time for a tasty snack of fingernails.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I thought it was a terrible game from us. Disorganised, clueless, kicking when there was no need. We didn't win it. SA lost it. I've had 3 strokes in 40 minutes and pulled all my hair out.

I thought BOTH teams were quite hard done by the ref as well. You normally expect a ref might miss a couple of things, but he missed about a dozen, sometimes at game-changing moments.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I thought it was a terrible game from us. Disorganised, clueless, kicking when there was no need. We didn't win it. SA lost it. I've had 3 strokes in 40 minutes and pulled all my hair out.

I thought BOTH teams were quite hard done by the ref as well. You normally expect a ref might miss a couple of things, but he missed about a dozen, sometimes at game-changing moments.

Hehe, you'd better be careful, you're starting to sound like an AB's fan. The ref in the AB v puma has been abysmal.As he was in the Samoa SA game. One of the TV commentators was hoping for an Wales win next week so this ref won't be involved in the final.

33-10 - a bit better than it looked at half time, and the Argies never stopped defending hard, but obviously tired in the last 15 or so minutes. I was a bit worried when the ref didn't see hands in the ruck from the Argies with about 15 minutes to go....a bit of deja vue - but he seems to have done an OK job overall.

So the Aussies next week - who looked far from convincing, but you can't write off anyone who makes it to the semi's, and we're pretty familiar with how dangerous they can be!

Looks like being anointed the preferred AB 1st 5/8 is a poison chalice with Slade heading off with a "groin" problem

That'll be a hard defeat for the Saffers to swallow. They really should've won handily with that much domination of possession and territory. Pocock was absolutely immense, though, at the breakdown.

And just for a few minutes it looked like the ABs' relatively easy opponents so far might have left them under prepared, and looking at a breakfast of humble pie* made with Pampas beef and a dash of latin handling flair, but in the end their class and power told. A fine morning's Rugby watchin'. :)

I think Wales will have wayyyy too much for France, who won't be able to reproduce the good form they showed Saturday, and if Australia don't pick themselves up, the AB-Wales final could be a scorcher.

* not humble pie in the sense they've been arrogant, just that it would have been a come down from being justified favourites to win.

Nice summary of the weekend.

He makes osme interesting points:

â– three of the teams that won their Pools (Ireland, England, South Africa) are heading home.

â– three of the teams in the semis (Wales, France, Australia) have lost one (or two) games in this tournament.

â– Pool C has no team left in the tournament.

â– Pool A has two teams left in the tournament

I'd also add the interesting stat that as far as I can work out, NZ have conceded the most tries out of anyone left. Doesn't matter I suppose if you're putting plenty on the boaord yourselves. But the only hope I can cling to is that defence is the one area where gold has it over black.

I'd also add the interesting stat that as far as I can work out, NZ have conceded the most tries out of anyone left. Doesn't matter I suppose if you're putting plenty on the board yourselves. But the only hope I can cling to is that defence is the one area where gold has it over black.

ISTR reading somewhere that every team that's won the Cup so far have gone through the whole tourney undefeated. And Girt also won the Tri Nations this year (and, incidentally, I hope the Bargies do ok in the ... er ... Quad Cup? next year)

There's some stupid stats roaming about too: GirtBySea haven't beaten the ABs at Eden Park since '86 ... so what? ABs and Girt have met twice before in RWC games, both times in the semis (?I think?) and both times Girt won. That's slightly more relevant that '86, and does tie in to 'winners go through undefeated,' but it's still largely a so what?

There's some stupid stats roaming about too: GirtBySea haven't beaten the ABs at Eden Park since '86 ... so what? ABs and Girt have met twice before in RWC games, both times in the semis (?I think?) and both times Girt won. That's slightly more relevant that '86, and does tie in to 'winners go through undefeated,' but it's still largely a so what?

I'm not big on those sort of "never won on Tuesday in November" stats. If they always held true, then nothing would ever change. Recent form is far more important. But converting recent form into a RWC is always the All Black's achilles heel!

Recent form is far more important. But converting recent form into a RWC is always the All Black's achilles heel!

Tru, dat. Which is why I think the 'winners go through undefeated' thing is relevant since it indicates that that team really is at the top of it's game at the right time.

The "don't win on Tuesdays in November" stats might have some trivial relevance in terms of morale within the two sides (as in "I'm not going to be remembered as being responsible for breaking a 26 year tradition"), but ... it's a stretch. I think they're mostly something for sports journalists who're otherwise totally bereft of imagination to write about between games.

This Cup; yes. But since they haven't won it yet, and since I was clearly referring to winning the Cup, that's more than slightly irrelevant.

not if they win this year...and since recent form is apparently no great indication of who actually wins the cup you'd have to say that on Sunday's form they should be hot favourites!