No rugby world cup thread.

gautrek

I understand 7's is very popular in the US, since inclusion in hte Olympics & the US tournament has been going - I have a sister living in LA who goes along to that every year (so far - was easier for her when it was in LA!) & also to local college games.

god help the status quo if the USA does ever take it up "full time" in any sense of the word - all that money will "speak"!

It's getting pretty popular at universities thankfully.

My team lost the state championship by one point the year before I transferred :P. They won it the next. I was only a second-string wing but still had lots of fun. Our captain actually was getting looked at by some European professional teams at the time. He was a beast.

Good times. Great sport.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of which not one of those examples you've linked to relate to Australian Rugby fans. I could have sworn this was a thread all about the Rugby World Cup.

Oh, right...sorry....well I guess that jsut shows that we can adapt your example easily to other sports! :rolleyes:

Alternatively here you go and here (see the survey - last section) and here

And of course we have ample evidence on here that no aussie ever abuses an all black supporter - right Aff?? :cool:

ROFL - the aussies getting all precious about someone telling them their sports team sucks - that's a real turn up for the books.

Here's an op-ed that puts it into sperspective - everyone at het cup except teh Aussies celebrated the Irish win - poor didums aussie cry babies!:D

Disclosure: I support England.

The problem there, Aff, is that to become beneficiaries, England will have to beat France.

What problem??

"Here's an op-ed that puts it into sperspective - everyone at het cup except teh Aussies celebrated the Irish win - poor didums aussie cry babies!"

Quite a BS article that one.

So we are expected to celebrate Ireland beating us? I think the thing is that the Irish win was a very good and unexpected one, hence all the other nations cheered them on. It says more about the admiration for an Irish win rather than hatred of the Australians.

Had the Irish beaten the All blacks is it being suggested that they would have celebrated the loss?

I must remember the next time NZ loses a game, to go and spit on my Maori next door neighbour and show him this article before he punches my head in.

I did like 67-5 against the US tho'

I think it's really a case of proportion. The majority of the Australian population don't even know that the RWC is on, let alone who is in it. Whereas for NZ, it's the one thing they get to crow about so it's much more life and death for them. Hence the juvenile"I support two teams: NZ and anyone playing Australia" syndrome.

Having said that, I do think that having you and the kids spat on at the game is taking things a bit too far.

And I NZ were playing England or South Africa, I would definitely cheer for the ABs.

"Here's an op-ed that puts it into sperspective - everyone at het cup except teh Aussies celebrated the Irish win - poor didums aussie cry babies!"

Quite a BS article that one.

So we are expected to celebrate Ireland beating us? I think the thing is that the Irish win was a very good and unexpected one, hence all the other nations cheered them on. It says more about the admiration for an Irish win rather than hatred of the Australians.

Perhaps you should go read it again - that was precisely the point it made - you agree with it...but call it BS?? how does that work??:confused:

Had the Irish beaten the All blacks is it being suggested that they would have celebrated the loss?

who?? I'm sure everyone else would have celebrated - aussies among them....

I must remember the next time NZ loses a game, to go and spit on my Maori next door neighbour and show him this article before he punches my head in.

Right - so you think the behaviour of a couple of dickheads was fine and you are going to emulate it.......while whining about it.......I'm getting confused again....do you think this was good behaviour or not?? :confused:

If so why are you whining? If not why are you suggesting it is acceptable for you to indulge in it??

It's not like anyone in NZ actually thinks that it was a good idea...except maybe the bankers concerned....

I did like 67-5 against the US tho'

Pretty sad when all yuo can celebrate is a thrashing of the #18 ranked side at the tournament!!

Perhaps you should go read it again - that was precisely the point it made - you agree with it...but call it BS?? how does that work??:confused:

who?? I'm sure everyone else would have celebrated - aussies among them....

Right - so you think the behaviour of a couple of dickheads was fine and you are going to emulate it.......while whining about it.......I'm getting confused again....do you think this was good behaviour or not?? :confused:

"While that kind of behaviour should never be condoned, surely it is just part and parcel of a big event like the Rugby World Cup, especially when your neighbour and bitter rival has just been beaten in one of the best games in rugby history."

That very much indicates to me that spitting on people is being suggested as an appropriate response. It recommends that at the highest level of the sport it is acceptable to spit on your opponents supporters.

And you yourself said "everyone at het cup except teh Aussies celebrated the Irish win - poor didums aussie cry babies!" So you suggesting that if the Irish had of beaten the All Blacks and they didn't celebrate the win they would be the cry babies?

The article also draws the conclusion that "And the fact that it wasn’t just the Kiwis and the Irish, but the English, the Samoans, the Italians, the Scots and pretty much every other nation at the tournament celebrating the victory says more about the world’s feelings toward the Australian rugby team than anything else. "

Which is BS in it's purest form. It belittles all teams involved by suggesting that they are celebrating an Australian loss rather than a well deserved Irish win.

"especially when your neighbour and bitter rival has just been beaten in one of the best games in rugby history."

Geez. If they're calling that penalty fest "one of the best games in rugby history" you can seriously say that the writer is a total rugby dunce.

And for the record, I think the 2003 final was one of the best games in rugby history, and we were beaten by a bitter rival in it.

Geez. If they're calling that penalty fest "one of the best games in rugby history" you can seriously say that the writer is a total rugby dunce.

This bit clearly displays the journalist's obvious bias where she tries to build up the Irish win against the Aussies as... one of the best games in rugby history... simply because they beat the Wallabies. Not a single try scored by the Irish! I mean... WTF?

Then she tries to justify the assumed world wide antagonism towards the Wallabies with this bit of tripe... And the fact that it wasn’t just the Kiwis and the Irish, but the English, the Samoans, the Italians, the Scots and pretty much every other nation at the tournament celebrating the victory says more about the world’s feelings toward the Australian rugby team than anything else. No. It's simply that almost everybody generally likes to see an underdog win provided it's not against their own countries team. That's all there is to it.

BTW SO, that link to the humungous study by Flinders University on crowd behaviour had absolutley no dates on it that I could see when skimming the reams of text, which struck me as pretty unusual. Any idea as to how old that paper is? Was it at least some time this century?

Regards

KR

the "big" games are delayed on FTA Maori TV (yeah...seriously....there's a channel called Maori TV!) - only the the "little ones" are live.

Sky has them all of course, as does every local pub & chartered club (RSA's, WMC's, Cossie Clubs, etc)

I was competing at a ballroom dance competition over the weekend (go on...mock...;)) & at least a couple of games were on live in the foyer of the CBC centre in Christchurch

"While that kind of behaviour should never be condoned, surely it is just part and parcel of a big event like the Rugby World Cup, especially when your neighbour and bitter rival has just been beaten in one of the best games in rugby history."

That very much indicates to me that spitting on people is being suggested as an appropriate response. It recommends that at the highest level of the sport it is acceptable to spit on your opponents supporters.

Rubbish - it says nothign of the sort and your boorish reaction to it is beginning to look worse.

it clearly says that it is unacceptable - it is right ther ein hte bit you quoted - do you not bother to read the bits you dont' like?

it is also entirely true that idiot fans are part of every sporting event - if you think otherwise tehn i'd like to have some of whatever you are smoking.

so some of you fans got hassled by some idiot kiwis - why do you try to make it more than that?

What is your agenda?

as for being ONE of the best rugby games ever - sure it was - you dont' HAVE to have tries to have a great rugby game - what you have to have is good rugby - which includes great defence, crunching tackes, a good contest at the scrum, at least someone playing really well, and an upset with a lower ranked side beating a top one adds to it too.

My whole point is that:

saying "I don't condone it" and then saying "it should be expected as part of a big event" is contradictory because it actually does condone the behaviour.

and

saying the because the other teams cheered the Irish win means that they hate Australia is not a logical conclusion.

[Edit] : She also adds a bit of sweeping archetyping to finish up on : " Australia is seen as New Zealand’s better, stronger and insanely annoying Big Brother." I certainly don't and I am sure more NZ'ers don't consider Oz "better", not sure how we are stronger and people are annoying not countries. I've certainly never considered us to be brothers, close mates for sure but quite distinct in many ways.

So it does nothing for putting things in perspective.

It's like using calling someone Boorish and then making a personal attacks or not checking typing or capitalisations and saying things like "dickhead" [sic] and that sort of thing. ;)

Nah I don't go with that Jon.

The article doesn't talk about studying the behaviour as the link you provided does, it merely says "Yeh we don't like it but it's part of the game"

That would be like saying we don't condone the riots but it is to be expected when you live in a city and leaving it at that.

The distinction being that a study of the riots can get to the root social problems that cause the riot, saying that "it's to be expected in a big event" is not making any attempt to discover the root cause of the behaviour and solve the issue.

the "big" games are delayed on FTA Maori TV (yeah...seriously....there's a channel called Maori TV!) - only the the "little ones" are live.

I think you might have that back-to-front.

Their sched is here. The NZ pool games, and a smattering of the other pool games, plus all the post-pool games, are live. Most of the Pool games are delayed.

I like Maori TV. They're providing the kind of broadcasting that TVNZ should be, if TVNZ weren't so chock full of reality TV shows.

Ah - right - I knew there was some sort of restriction :)

And you are quite right about understanding vs excusing too - well done!

As for Aus being better - well I hear they're paying A$130k pa for skilled labour in Perth these days......and looking for 5% increase on that pa over the next 3 years....a lot of people think that is better!!

As for Aus being better - well I hear they're paying A$130k pa for skilled labour in Perth these days......and looking for 5% increase on that pa over the next 3 years....a lot of people think that is better!!

I'd just point out that the reason the wage is that high is because the outgoings are too. In the mining areas you can end up paying over $1000 a week to live in a caravan and $100 for a slab of beer. The jobs in Perth they mention are for crane drivers etc, which have always been high on the union pay hierarchy. But don't any of you think you can turn up there and get a job on a crane. Not unless your grandad and dad are good union men.

Sure the pay is better in some areas of the resources boom but that doesn't make the country better.

Those sort of jobs are there for those who are lucky enough to find way in but it is pretty hard. I'm one of those lucky ones and earn probably 3 times what I would if I worked at home. Mind you being away from home is pretty hard.

As for the expenses Aff, well my company pays for everything for me so it's not an issue. In fact on most mine sites beer etc is actually cheaper, almost at cost usually.