I've searched-CAN'T FIND HOW TO PLACE MINES!

Looked through the knowledge base, forum, and manual (searched the PDF file) and can't find out what I'm supposed to do with the mines I've bought for a quick battle. I can't load them into anything, just move them around the setup zone. What am I missing???

Thanks for any help.

The term "mine" refers to a minefeild... an area already emplaced with mines. Not to a box of mines awaiting placement.

You cannot load them into any vehicle for transport to a threatened sector.

You cannot deploy them under fire.

You cannot relocate them as needed.

You can only deploy them during the setup phase, but after that they are considered placed and immovable.

You have to guess where they will do the most good, and set them there before the action begins... and if you guess wrong, oh well.

A follow up questions. I got mines once and they are very small. Does something have to step directly on the small dot/mine or does the mine shown actually represent a "mine field" of some given area?

It represents a minefield of one action spot (8x8m). Individual "mines" units that you buy are therefore good for blocking roads or other chokepoints. In order to have a massive "minefield" in the conventional sense of the word, you will probably need at least ten of them.

And just to clarify (for my own education as well), once engineers have marked the mines, they may as well leave and do something else as they can have no further effect re mines.

The effect of marked mines is that units refuse to walk/drive over them. So, mines on a bridge or on a road with bocage on either side are nasty.

In some respects then it may be better to NOT have engineers mark mines since you can order units to move across a known but unmarked minefield (and take the chance of getting blown up). But, once the minefirld if marked it's essentially impassible (least it seems that way in a scenario I am playing).

The effect of marked mines is that units refuse to walk/drive over them. So, mines on a bridge or on a road with bocage on either side are nasty.

Are you sure? In my experience, you can give an Infantry unit a 'Move' order and they will move safely through the marked minefield. Give them a faster move order and they will still run into mines. I don't know about vehicular mines as their action spot is usually blocked by the hulking tank that set it off anyway. :eek:

It represents a minefield of one action spot (8x8m). Individual "mines" units that you buy are therefore good for blocking roads or other chokepoints. In order to have a massive "minefield" in the conventional sense of the word, you will probably need at least ten of them.

This makes sense to me but when I placed my mines the action spot didn't light up like it does for infantry movement but rather only placed a dot like waypoints for vehicle movement. Therefore, how do I know if I put two in the same action spot? Or didn't put it in the right action spot?

And just to clarify (for my own education as well), once engineers have marked the mines, they may as well leave and do something else as they can have no further effect re mines.

But, once the minefirld if marked it's essentially impassible (least it seems that way in a scenario I am playing).

Your correct on (1) -- "once an engineers have marked the mines, they may as well leave..." this is more or less correct.

However, in re (2) "Once the minefield is marked it's essentially impassible..." This is not entirely true. Once a minefield is marked, other units can usually move through it using slower, more cautious movement orders, such as Slow, Hunt, or even Move. Quick or Fast through even a marked minefield is very dangerous though.

Keep in mind that moving through a minefield is always a roll of the dice. Marking the mines gives you an advantage on the die roll, but it's not a guarantee. Occasionally, a lucky unit will Fast move through an unmarked minefield without setting off a mine. And even once the mines are marked, Slow moving through the minefield is not an absolute guarantee of safety.

This makes sense to me but when I placed my mines the action spot didn't light up like it does for infantry movement but rather only placed a dot like waypoints for vehicle movement. Therefore, how do I know if I put two in the same action spot? Or didn't put it in the right action spot?

I think you can't put two mine units in the same action spot, so you're safe there. I'm not 100% sure how to verify that the mines are in the correct spot. Perhaps fudge it by preparing to issue movement commands to an infantry unit and verify that the correct action spot lines up with what you wanted?

Paper Tiger: I thought so too in some scenarios.

But, am playing La Haye in "Courage and Fortitude" and there are many mines at gates etc. However, once my engineers have marked them and I issued QUICK orders to get inf to use the gateways, they ran in the opposite direction trying to find alternative routes.

Even when I put waypoints on the marked mines to force inf to go that way, they went around another route and tried to get to that mine waypoint from a different direction. So, I concluded that in the latest patch maybe inf will not enter a marked minefield. (I haven't tested if inf will SLOW move through, or if vehicles will move through.)

Paper Tiger: I thought so too in some scenarios.

But, am playing La Haye in "Courage and Fortitude" and there are many mines at gates etc. However, once my engineers have marked them and I issued QUICK orders to get inf to use the gateways, they ran in the opposite direction trying to find alternative routes.

Even when I put waypoints on the marked mines to force inf to go that way, they went around another route and tried to get to that mine waypoint from a different direction. So, I concluded that in the latest patch maybe inf will not enter a marked minefield. (I haven't tested if inf will SLOW move through, or if vehicles will move through.)

Infantry will definitely move into or across a marked minefield in 1.01; I've done this several times.

However, I have only ever used the SLOW command to cross known and marked mines, so it is possible units will refuse to do so on faster (and riskier) orders like QUICK.

I'll check to see if MOVE also works across marked minefields. HUNT and anything faster doesn't in the scenario I am in.

Will have to check vehicles too.

But, I reserve the right to redo those turns. :)

What puzzles me is since one gets a red mine marker as soon as someone gets blown up, why do we even have to bother to "mark mines" and have the sign turn yellow/white when you already know where they are.

I'll check to see if MOVE also works across marked minefields. HUNT and anything faster doesn't in the scenario I am in.

Will have to check vehicles too.

But, I reserve the right to redo those turns. :)

What puzzles me is since one gets a red mine marker as soon as someone gets blown up, why do we even have to bother to "mark mines" and have the sign turn yellow/white when you already know where they are.

I think "Marking" in the game is meant to represent Engineers actually carefully probing the ground and determining the exact location of individual mines, in order to lay out a safe path through the minefield with marking tape or flags or whatever (in Vietnam they sometimes used shaving cream for this purpose because it was easily visible and very light weight so it wouldn't set off even hair-trigger mines; not sure what the standard was in WWII). Obviously, this would make it easier to cross the field safely, but follow-on units probably still want to step very carefully through the area.

Did a quick test:

Vehicle refuses to pass over the mines, although in trying to turn around it triggered one anyway, but only caused a little damage to its wheels.

Infantry that used SLOW, MOVE and HUNT passed over the mines ok.

Infantry that used QUICK refuses to run over the mines and will find another route.

The latter is a bit silly. It would be good if mines triggered a routine that slowed QUICK or FAST moving inf to a slower pace when encountering marked mines.

Infantry that used QUICK refuses to run over the mines and will find another route.

The latter is a bit silly. It would be good if mines triggered a routine that slowed QUICK or FAST moving inf to a slower pace when encountering marked mines.

Infantry have some 'interesting' path decision making features. If you ask them to move quick from A to B, and the straight line is across execrable terrain, and there's a route nearby that they can actually jog on, they'll take the 'least time elapsed' route, even if it's a lot further, and (not something they consider when pathing) horribly exposed. I'd imagine that terrain type 'mines' has the potential to make them think it will take an eternity to Quick across, because, in all probability, it will for at least one member of the unit.

Infantry have some 'interesting' path decision making features. If you ask them to move quick from A to B, and the straight line is across execrable terrain, and there's a route nearby that they can actually jog on, they'll take the 'least time elapsed' route, even if it's a lot further, and (not something they consider when pathing) horribly exposed. I'd imagine that terrain type 'mines' has the potential to make them think it will take an eternity to Quick across, because, in all probability, it will for at least one member of the unit.

LOL yeah those dead guys are so friggin slow!! Even undead move faster.

Looked through the knowledge base, forum, and manual (searched the PDF file) and can't find out what I'm supposed to do with the mines I've bought for a quick battle. I can't load them into anything, just move them around the setup zone. What am I missing???

Thanks for any help.

FM 23-3, Techniques of Antitank Warfare, Chapter 3, Antitank Weapons, Section III, Antitank Mines, has an eight page, illustrated discussion of how to employ mines. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

One thing about mine fields. they have three marker signs. Red yellow and green. Same meaning as traffic light colors. Except its very nearly impossible to get e green mine marker to show. I know I've seen the occassional green marker sign in CMSF, not so much in CM:BN, probably because I avoid mines like the plague.

One thing about mine fields. they have three marker signs. Red yellow and green. Same meaning as traffic light colors. Except its very nearly impossible to get e green mine marker to show. I know I've seen the occassional green marker sign in CMSF, not so much in CM:BN, probably because I avoid mines like the plague.

And generally, if you've gotten a green marker to show, it means you've set off all the mines, and there's a big pile of dead PBI around the sign. I've seen green markers when a vehicle has set off AP mines. Generally that's not good for the vehicle's roadgear, and the blast can kill any accompanying footsloggers who are too close.