Strategic Command - 1939 Storm Over Europe Released!

Just in case anyone missed it, the grand campaign 1939 Storm Over Europe (WWII) is now available as a free add on campaign to the SC WWI release :)

Play WWII in Europe like never before and experience the thrill of sending your Panzers deep into Russia, the anticipation of victory in the battle for the Atlantic, or the exhilaration of finally turning the tide and storming fortress Europe!

fortress_europe_th.jpg

At the same time as we are releasing this new campaign, we are also introducing three new features in this v1.02 patch: Forced March; a more realistic Submarine Combat Model; and best of all, a new and improved Research system.

forced_march_1_th.jpg

forced_march_2_th.jpg

We have also significantly improved all three main WWI campaigns.

Download the 1.02 patch now for not only one of the most entertaining WWI games ever, but also to enjoy 1939 Storm over Europe!

Hubert Cater writes “There has long been a demand for a new research system in the Strategic Command series, and after much thought and player feedback we have come up with a research model that has an optimum blend of random and non-random progression. The days of players not experiencing a research advance after two or three years of gameplay are now over!”

Hubert continues “Here at Furysoftware we pride ourselves on making continuous improvements to the series, and Strategic Command WWI with its free Storm over Europe campaign represents the best yet!”

Click here to jump directly to the v1.02 download page

If you already own SC WWI, all you need to do is download the v1.02 patch here and once it's installed, you can get playing!

If you don't yet own SC WWI, please click here to buy the game, and once you've installed it, you'll just need to install the patch so that you too can get playing 1939 Storm over Europe.

Happy gaming!

1939 Storm Over Europe - Official AAR

1939 Storm Over Europe, the new and grand scale flagship WWII campaign, is now downloadable as free bonus content to Strategic Command WWI: The Great War 1914-1918.

Two beta testers are currently playing their way through this grand scale and majestic campaign, and you can enjoy following the action here

Hi Lokesz,

The main difference between the two games is that Global Conflict covers the entire conflict of WWII, including Asia, Japan and the Pacific, while the 1939 Storm Over Europe campaign is just the European Theater.

In this sense, both have something unique to offer as 1939 SoE is more focused and detailed on Europe while the Global game allows you to play and control all sides and aspects of WWII on a Global scale.

I'd honestly say that both are great games that will give you a lot of WWII replay value :)

I hope this helps,

Hubert

Hi Hubert,

Thanks for explaining. After doing some reading I also begin to feel tempted to meddle in the 'Great War'. So I have already downloaded SC WW1 + patch 1.02 and after reading the manual I will try out my gasmask at Verdun.

If I might fail to lead the troops of the Kaiser to victory, I can use '1939 Storm over Europe' to correct the injustice :cool:

Lokesz

Small question while playing a mirror game of 1939 Storm Over Europe. Isn't the Deutsche Kriegsmarine a bit too strong in this campaign. In both games didn't happened many sea battles yet but the GB Navy is only a bit more than double numbered to the Germans! 7 subs can hit hard (always 100%) and destroy a lot of major ships but the subs could dive many times before sunk? Only a question...what are you experiences.

This was just a design decision to spice up the Battle of the Atlantic.

In previous releases we had hoped that Axis players would entertain the idea of building more subs at the expense of a weakened Barbarossa but since that never seemed to happen we just opted to include more subs as a way of ensuring an interesting Battle of the Atlantic experience for both sides.

Hubert,

There has been much talk of Axis bias in SCGC. I think it only operates at very high skill levels but it is real with the infamous cookie cutter.

The problem is that you can't cut Axis resources directly as I think most new players would find the Axis game too hard.

A solution might be to increase minors and US diplomatic leaning to Allies when more minor countries are trashed. For example, a common Axis path is through Egypt into Middle East and to South Africa. Some of these minors do penalize Axis but many do not (particularly trashing Africa). This limits skilled players but won't hit newer players who never get that far.

Hubert, I think a concensus is building on the board that the Axis have an edge. See my thread on Axis Bias. I think if the Allies got let's say 5 extra chits spread around that that would go a long way, lets say 3 to Russia and 2 to the Brits. I thiink for China I would swap that anti-air for an infantry. Oh, and start the Yanks out with motorization, it's off base that the Japanese have motorization and the Yanks, with GM et. al. don't. I would also make Turkey a bit harder to take down; make tactical somewhat less potent against infantry; Give a bit more inducement to the Allies for the first, expensive French decision; and perhaps an army instead of corp in Singapore.

I'm still putting my arms around the game but I think balance is fairly close. If you give the Allies just a bit more and the Axis nothing it could smooth things out. So, ballparking, I'd say an extra 1000 mmps to the Allies early in the game primarily in the form of research chits would go a long way, as it would free up mmps to try to slow down the Axis momentum just a bit. I wouldn't touch anything for Poland/France/Benelux/Norway/Denmark/Yugo/Greece as it's important for the Germans to be able to hit hard and first at first. I also wouldn't change the Middle East, in most games the Allies can put up a stubborn defense there.

Bob

I don't agree with Sharkman's comment. I've had games where around 1943 the Allies have plenty of teched bombers that are trashing the Axis. It depends on how the game develops. Not every game can be like this, but the Allies in many instance can go this route. I think on balance the number and delivery of Axis naval forces is about right, the Allies have counter strategies and if they are patient and play cat-and-mouse correctly they can sting the Axis navies. Bob.

I think the balance is pretty good, but the German U-Boats, in my opinion upset the naval balance, if there was some kind of restriction to using most of them to actualy raid convoys it might be diffrent, or make them less effecitve against surface units. Most players (including myself) use the U-boats primarily to engage enemy surface units, and they can be deadly. I think this is by far the best playable strategic WW1 or WW2 game on the market. But I would like to see a more effective strategic warfare option, somthing the Allies can do to Germany while they're building up forces for a big attack, some way to slow down German operational movement, block supplies, force them to move fighters out of Russia. As far as I can tell the Allies can not heavily bomb Germany and build up forces for an invasion, it's one or the other. As a minimal offset to the free U-boats I think the British should at least get 2 free heavy bombers at some point in the game. And I think 400 MMP's to form Free France is a lot of money at a crucial point, I can't imagine the British devoted 3/4 of their economy to forming Free France just when they were expecting a German invasion.

Jollyguy,

Think either route (diplomatic, technology) can work. Perhaps for US give free industrial investment as its historically accurate.

I think US would react more strongly to an Axis drive from Egypt to South Africa, and Arabic countries react more to attacks within the Middle East than they do. And I think the Western Allies did not like the Winter War so I'd also penalize an aggressive Russian strike on Finland or Iraq/Iran by slowing US entry.

Actually, it would be nice if there were still diplomatic penalties after US enters the war - I've never liked that Western Allies kind of turn feral and start collecting minors when there are no penalties. Though Allies were not above taking over small countries, there was some restraint.

On Japan, I think the problem is calling the technology motorization. Its really a simulation that the Japanese really were amazing at moving overland fast by foot and bicycle.

I think Colin has a very good point, and that could be incorporated, too. Currently there is no penalty to the Axis if they achieve an early breakthrough and head toward Iraq (Turkey in mind), or south into Africa. I also think there should be a significant penalty if the Japanese send units too far west into the Indian Ocean. Dragon does this so the Japanese can take Vichy and/or a Portugal base, to supply / op Japanese units. The US is kept on a very short leash on moving it's units pre-entry, yet the Japanese can send units far and wide with only minimal penalty and achieve a very large strategic objective.

Since the bias is Axis though I wouldn't try to "balance" the changes...the changes need to favor the Allies. So I'd be against penalizing Russia for taking Finland/Iran/Iraq/Turkey as they are fairly weak as it is and they really, really need that plunder and those extra mmps The Germans in most cases can put the Russians on their heels fairly quickly, joined by the Japanese moving west once China falls. Another option would be just give all the help to the Russians, about 1000 mmps worth, along with a tougher Turkey and a few other minor changes. Another tank, a tac-air, and some more land units and earlier placement of the engineer and possibly some pre-built fortifications and maybe more robust partisans might do the trick. Fans of the original SC will remember that it's entire imbalance was in Russia and that's where the bidding went, so I'd be okay with just bolstering the Russians here. The problem in SCG is that once the Western Allies have built up and tech'ed up that the Russians are generally fairly weak if not headed out the door, and the Japanese have romped all over the place.

Bob

Bob

All far too much tinkering. Simple change would fix it - eliminate Elite reinforcements. It also solves the problem that USAAF TAC air out of England can build up too strong by 44.

Experience points would still make combat in favour of the veterans units but they not become insanely strong. Would help China out a bit against japan too.

Kill elite reinforcments and the gameis pretty balanced again.

You could also cap elite reinforcements, lets say to one star or two stars. Even a two elite highly experienced lite unit is pretty potent, so perhaps one star worth of elites. I like the concept of elite reinforements, but your right, a 13, 14, 15 strength unit is just a bulldozer on steroids basically chewing up opposing units.

Sounds good, max level 12 elite reinforcements. That's worth serious concideration. I hate seeing those level 14 or 15 bulldozer units that wipe out enemy units with 1 shot. Especially the tac air units. Although to be honest I have never had any units except German fighters ever reach level 15, so I have only expierienced them from the open end of a muzzle.

Sounds good, max level 12 elite reinforcements. That's worth serious concideration. I hate seeing those level 14 or 15 bulldozer units that wipe out enemy units with 1 shot. Especially the tac air units. Although to be honest I have never had any units except German fighters ever reach level 15, so I have only expierienced them from the open end of a muzzle.

Wait until you get german armoured units at 15 strength, fully researched. There is simply nothing that stops these units.

One other thing that's annoying. A Brit carrier arrives in 1942 in Manchester's port. If the Axis happen to be blockading at the time it's automatically sunk. The Brits should have some say if there are Axis units lingering outside the port. Same in India if they chose the Australia second capital option. They should be able to delay the launchings.