Sign in to follow this  
LiveNoMore

Patch 1.01 didn't clear up bridge movement issue

I downloaded the new patch but it didn't seem to clear up the bridge movement issues. I uninstalled the patch, removed all mods, rebooted the computer and reloaded the patch. Still have the same problem. Trying to plot movement across the bridge causes the route line to go under the bridge, then to the side or backwards. Units will go to the bridge then sit there for a couple of turns before moving on.

I'm running an HP, Win 7 64 bit, 8gigs memory, Radeon 6570 card.

Any suggestions? or do we have to deal with this (and not play any scenarios with a bridge) until another patch is written?

As I was designing an scenario I saw this strange behaviour on one of the bridges in the map, but not in others. I realized that the bridge was over a shallow ford (only visible in the editor). I changed it to simple "water" and the problem disappeared.

Does it happen if you explicitly plot waypoints only just before and just after the bridge? Even pre-patch, avoiding putting waypoints on the bridge itself seemed to work quite well. It's worth noting that the bridge models seem to occupy quite a high volume above the roadbed, so it might be that the waypoints you're plotting aren't actually where you think you put 'em. It's tricky, but I found that being pernickety about where I put the waypoints worked best. My setup is similar to yours, Radeon 5850 being the most salient difference.

I'm seeing some odd behavior in the "Courage and Fortitude" campaign in the second scenario that involves the bridge on that map. Placing waypoints anywhere around the bridge causes issues, and also makes units un-selectable when in the marsh area below it. The "Shift-click" method of group selection still works, however.

I'm seeing some odd behavior in the "Courage and Fortitude" campaign in the second scenario that involves the bridge on that map. Placing waypoints anywhere around the bridge causes issues, and also makes units un-selectable when in the marsh area below it. The "Shift-click" method of group selection still works, however.

I think there are some niggles with the bridge models. I started to be able to deal with it when I thought of the bridge as a rectangular prism as long and wide as the bridge is and extending up into the apparently empty air for about double its apparent height. You can get at troops that end up 'under' the bridge if you drop your angle down and come at them from the side, or find one of the men that's not actually occluded by the bridge object and select them.

It's evident the way waypoints fail to snap as you would expect that there's something hinky about the way bridges are modelled. Especially bridges (or destroyed bridges) which cross terrain which is otherwise passable. It's not such a nightmare if they cross an impassable river, but there are a couple of marshy ditches in C&F which make the bridge issues really stand out.

has anyone found a fix for this problem? It is still happening to my friend and I. Because of it we can't play any game with a bridge! I sent in a ticket but haven't heard back

Either your problem is different to the one I had, or you're overstating the case. Bridges are awkward and don't quite work right, IME, but they're no real barrier to playing on a map with one.

Oh, you're probably playing RT. I can see that'd be a bit of a pain as you can't pause.

Trying to get a unit to cross a bridge is almost impossible. I usually have to make a waypoint a long distance from the bridge and the next one a long distance on the other side. Works fine if you don't need to seek cover on the opposite side of the bridge! Sometimes, that doesn't work either. A waypoint will appear on top of the bridge, then go down into the water or ravine under it. Very frustrating. Like I said, I put in a ticket last month after the patch came out, but they haven't answered me yet.

we are playing by email. However, playing turn-based against the computer has the same issue

Then I urge you to try a few more angles. Bridges are glitchy, but they are also usable with some convoluted camera gymnastics. Try putting a waypoint at the near end of the bridge, but not on the bridge, as close to the mid-line of the bridge as the grid will let you, and the very next waypoint just off the bridge (and definitely not on the bridge). Don't put waypoints on the bridge. They don't behave.

To put the waypoints down, get into view 3 and approach the bridge from the near side, drop the first waypoint as above, then track the camera way past the bridge, use '/' to reverse your view, and then approach the bridge looking back the way you came and place the second waypoint as above. Trying to place the waypoint on the far side while looking along the bridge in the direction of travel is a futile activity which will produce the results you're describing.

You can probably use an overhead view, but again you'll need to be either directly over the place you want to place the waypoint, or a little further away from the bridge than the place you want to drop the waypoint, or the virtual solid that the game projects above the bridge will intersect with your cursor's polar coordinates. I find having a distincly oblique viewpoint helps me ensure that the bridge's overhead volume (which I imagine is to make room for the ironwork on the suspension type bridges) doesn't interfere.

That sucks, you shouldnt have to do that in order to plot a move.

Two years later this problem still exists.

I'm playing the Huzzah scenario, and having many issues trying to get vehicles or infantry across a bridge over water.

The whole scenario is based on river crossings, so it is a big deal to have to do all these gyrations to get a unit over a bridge.

Are you possibly running on an AMD Radeon ? If so, then you will want to go into the 'Options' menu (main menu) and at the bottom set the 'ATI Left-click Compatibility' to 'OFF'. This can help with some Radeon users and setting way points over a bridge (to a minor extent).

Are you possibly running on an AMD Radeon ? If so, then you will want to go into the 'Options' menu (main menu) and at the bottom set the 'ATI Left-click Compatibility' to 'OFF'. This can help with some Radeon users and setting way points over a bridge (to a minor extent).

I tried that it didnt work. Is there a difference between an AMD Radeon and an ATI Radeon?

Thanks,

The only thing that seems to help is to change my viewing aspect to a high angle or to go to a view directly over the unit I want to cross a bridge. It seems in these different viewing aspects, the waypoints will snap under proper mouse control. At a ground level view it has been impossible for me to snap waypoints across a bridge no matter where I try to start or end them.

Right now in a game I have a halftrack stuck IN the side of a bridge and it wont move.

Sign in to follow this