Three-squad Para platoons, myth? Or fact?

My job would be far easier, but much less pleasant, if I just told you guys to "Get Bent" whenever you asked a question, posted a suggestion, or think you found a bug. Sadly, I take the hard road and actually think about what you guys say very carefully and evaluate it accordingly. I don't know why. Probably has to do with wanting the game to be better no matter how it happens. Or somefink.

:D

Steve

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay all ribbing aside, nice to see the folks at BFC keeping discussions focused and openly discussing behavior/items that may need to be modified. Not many things you can buy these days that's value increases after purchase.

Thanks guys.

Boy I second that. Thanks Steve and BFC!

Either that or I just want your money :D

Seriously, one of the reasons it takes so dang'd long to make games for you guys is that we are just as interested as having them be "perfect" as you guys. And we all know that means spending inordinate amounts of time on that last 1% compared to the other 99%. Good thing we realize that it's that 1% that really makes CM a different type of game from everything else out there. There is no other game like it, and we intend to keep it that way.

Steve

Hard to be sure, my guess is that it's one of the Lorraine/Hotchkiss chassis-conversion SP guns of the type that served with 21st Panzer's artillery regiment.

In one of my Concord books (D-Day Tank Warfare)there's a photo of one with a WWI-vintage 150mm howitzer installed, the caption states it's unit as "Verstarken Schnellen Brigade West". Attached to 21st panzer.

Other photos of the dumps for tanks captured in the Cotentin show a real mish-mash of stuff, most of it French-manufactured and converted. It just wont be Normandy until we have, at the very least, Somua R35 tanks... they should have made it in before Panthers :D

But I digress, that's for another thread ;)

Hard to be sure, my guess is that it's one of the Lorraine/Hotchkiss chassis-conversion SP guns of the type that served with 21st Panzer's artillery regiment.

Why would anyone drag it from east of Caen all the way over to the Cotentin?

Why would anyone drag it from east of Caen all the way over to the Cotentin?

Good point, but I have no idea which other units recieved Lorraine/Hotchkiss conversions - something like a hundred of them went to Panzer formations other than the 21st - I just referenced them because I figured they were a bit more famous.

2my7lw0.jpg

A Lorraine chassis-conversion. Sd.Kfz 135, 7.5cm Pak40/1 auf Lorraine Schlepper (f)!

The gun and mount are identical to a Marder's, unsurprisingly.

Sure, it's a different chassis.

I downloaded the picture and zoomed-in, it looks like the trench-skid that looks like it's on the SP actually belongs to the tank (R35) next to it, closest the foreground. It could just as well be a Marder IIIH, definately not an M, detail is lacking.

I´m not sure it is a Pak 40. The dimensions seem off.And wouldnt that thing be to large a gun for the poor, old Renault FT17 chassis ?

Couldnt it possibly be the 50 mm Pak 38 ?

I don't know. The picture isn't clear or close enough to permit a final determination, but to my eye it looks too big to be the PaK 38. But who knows? I don't know if this one ever made it into the books; it may be one of those one-offs that the Germans were throwing together in France to meet the invasion. Whatever it is, it is an odd and rare bird.

Michael

I downloaded the picture and zoomed-in, it looks like the trench-skid that looks like it's on the SP actually belongs to the tank (R35) next to it, closest the foreground.

Okay. Like I said, not a good pic for our present purposes.

It could just as well be a Marder IIIH, definately not an M, detail is lacking.

I think the gun is located too low on the chassis to be a IIIH.

Marder-III-Aberdeen.0004sryz.1.jpg

But Scheer might be right about it having a PaK 38 aboard.

Michael

hoolaman is right, that is a standard Marder III, and yes that it a PAK 40. You can even see a bit of the mount reinforcement under the gun where it meets the chassis, the most distinction signature of the ordinary Marder III.

Michael E - I don't think it is too low actually, the Marder III is just a small vehicle compared to the French tanks in front of it in line, so it looks a bit that way.

• 8 months later...
Well, I for one am convinced we should add the option of a third Squad. I have my doubts it was 100% applied to all Platoons in all Companies in all Battalions of all Regiments, but the evidence that at least some units enacted it ahead of Arnhem seems to be pretty solid. And there's no evidence to the contrary except the omission of mention. We all know how reliable that is :D

I'll have to see how best to set the options. I can have it be strict to the Battalion, strict to the Company, or allowed on a Platoon by Platoon basis. My guess is it should be at Company level, but I need to see what sort of flexibility I have.

Steve

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but what ever happened with this? Is the three-squad option still planned for the base game?

• 3 months later...

Didn't the original CMBO Overlord have more hefty para units ???

To bad we can't ask Winters he is no longer down here with us but at least they made a memorial statue to him I heard he only ok'ed it if it was dedicated to the memory of all junior U.S. military officers who served that day.

Here is article my dad sent me:

winters001.jpg