Best H2H Scenarios

Speaking of 'Bloody St. Omer Capelle', after hunting high and low I managed to find a copy. I also came across this, from back in the CMAK days:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/48176-sie-kommen-is-released/

Does anyone know if the additional briefing materials Fred describes are still available?

There is a complete set of rules to play the Sie Kommen Battle Pack in a multitude of ways including 5 game, 12 game, all 18 games, and a couple of 3-packs. Rules for AI play are included too. There is a Points Scoring Matrix table for each of the different ways the game can be played that uses formulas to determine the points earned for each scenario based upon the overall campaign.

Also included is links to Field Order Files which go beyond the briefings found in the battle and include such things as written orders, commander maps, aerial recon photos, and even radio (voice) transmissions.

Cheers

Jon

• 5 months later...

My opponent and I finally finished Bloody St. Omer and I thought it was one of the best scenarios I've played so far.  I'd give it an 8/10. However, Germs have the slight advantage here as defenders so if you're going to use this map as a H2H game, give the weaker player the Germs.

The map has some interesting LOS that can really help out each side if you can find them. The Allies have multiple ways to attack, some requiring more time than others to advance but they allow for flexibility against the German defense.  

• 7 months later...

The last scenario I played was Das Dorf Des Todes. My opponent was Allies as usual while I took the German side on defense.

I'll keep any major spoilers out of the review.

While the map is beautiful with some nice avenues of approach, it is an artillery-heavy scenario. So if you play CM as a game of chess like I do, I wouldn't quite recommend this one as there's simply too much luck involved introducing the artillery barrages into the game.

Both sides seem equal for H2H play and Allies are given multiple options to attack which makes it interesting. However, I think the overwhelming amount (and size) of the artillery can ruin the Germans day with just a lucky shot or two.

Other than that, it's worth a look.  

Rating: 6.5/10

• 9 months later...

Me and my opponent have just finished playing "Retaking Vierville" which you can download here: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/101538-new-h2h-scenario-retaking-vierville/

I wasn't sure how enjoyable this one was going to be but it proved to just get better as the game went on. I'd rate this scenario a 7.5/10.

The Germs are on the attack and are given a series of routes to take different parts of Vierville which are defended by the Allies. As an H2H battle, it seemed very fair and balanced. 

When it gets interesting is when reinforcements arrive for both sides. It completely changes the plans that each side has and both are forced to deal with a contingency they probably didn't expect.

My biggest gripe is about the points that are awarded for each zone on the map. Some of them are worth more points than others and yet the German player is not told which is worth more until the AAR at the end. So essentially, you could be striving to take certain zones when you really should be taking others worth more points.

Aside from this grievance, I still recommend checking this scenario out.

Edited by Colonel_Deadmarsh

• 1 year later...

I recently finished up Abbay D' Authie, a scenario which is billed as being H2H.

To me, the Allies clearly have an advantage here as they get a location bonus from the start by being so close to one of the VLs, making it resemble more of an Axis probe. However...what the Germs lack in location to VLs is made up somewhat by the terrain advantage they get by starting at a higher altitude and having a nearly complete view of the Allied side of the board. 

A smart player will know how to take advantage of this benefit with the forces given to him making it easier to grab control of the needed VL on the other side of the map. 

Or...you can simply fight for the remaining VL in the middle and hope to inflict more casualties than your opponent. The caveat here is that the Allies have better ways to defend the location vs the Germs and a stalemate is almost sure to be the result unless the Germs at some point decide to go on the offensive.

I do recommend the scenario though. Just make sure to have the weaker player as the Allies and I think things will balance themselves out.

Edited by Col Deadmarsh