Best H2H Scenarios

ive found it if you need it emailing to you

Thanks, just found it once I got my mind around FGM

For others the linky poo is here:-

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/home/?page_id=262

They also have the Sie Kommen II Battle Packs (43.9 MiB) Which I can not recommend highly enough.

I will have a crack at Vire once the blood bath that is "Le Desert" is finished. So far 15 minutes into "Le Desert" and it has been violent action right from the start and too early to comment on balance. Mind you I have made some awful mistakes which I have yet to see if I can recover from...

FYI -

Just finishing off Le Desert and I would recommend it as a pretty good H2H game.

Very intense action and could have swung either way. I think it could be tweaked to allow the US player the choice at set up to place key defences as this will allow for re playability. Not sure why Jon locked those choices down?

The only slight complaint (and it is a small murmur) is the amount of arty but both sides benefit from this and arty in CMBN really hurts when it hits home...

:)

• 1 month later...

Just finished playing Bloody St Omer Capelle by Fred Rocker. Well it lives up to the name and was good fun. Slight edge to the Germans so weaker player should get them as it is a pretty tough attack for the Americans. My oppo reckoned balanced I think the Germans could win quite easily if the American attacker gets it wrong. And it is easier for the attacker to get it wrong. Really open map with no major bocage and some interesting LOS with small reverse slopes with minor gradients on map. Well worth playing IMO.

Also recently played CW In The Shadow of the Hill 5am. I played as the Germans and just managed a win. This is IMO pretty lopsided to the Brits. A good challenging scenario and give the weaker player the Brits. The Germans will struggle if the Brits land their blows well.

Not as much cut and thrust as Bloody St Omer or Le Desert. I think these two are the ones for some cracking fun and the CW 5am is a great history lesson where you might be able to pull off a coup if you can get the Germans to win.

Some odd design decisions on the size of the map and play area, but it does work and gave a good game....

• 4 weeks later...

Latest H2H is my first venture into QB's and force selection which I found quite painful. My Oppo choose the map so I will have to find out name? Unless there is some other way. OK found the name of map which is pretty good.

LJF-ME-Small Bocage 03

I can recommend the map.

The previous game was an Italian affair so will post on that scenario in the appropriate forum.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Went hth play testing that scenario and generally I'd say the allied defenders have the advantage. An additional note for German player is be cautious dealing with underpass with armor.

Thanks for that, I had seen a few mentions re bridges in my search and this is a problem I have hot with some other scenarios.

I will see how it plays, it has been on my to do list but just waiting for time to do it, then I can read the thread on the design...

Cheers

• 6 months later...

CW Ubique: this has a good map and unusual units. I'd tweak the balance a little so that both players would have better chance to win, but so far this has been one of my best CW scenarios.

Just started playing this. Only take the Brits if you like plotting movement paths!!

Bumping this thread in the hope some MG Scenarios might get noted.

Wondering if Jon's Sheriff Scenario would be a good H2H candidate?

To bump the thread and finally report on the game, this is one of the best scenarios I have played. A real tough affair with a great map (bar crappy rail bridge!!). I think plenty for both side and can not recommend it highly enough!!

Hi Jon, Hope the NZ summer is going well and I will buy you a beer or two the next time I get over there, which might be next year if her in doors has her way...

Anyway just CF'd Ubique as my Oppo thought it favoured the Allies by too much and he just lost 2 xxxx's

I on the other hand think it was fine and a bloody tough challenge for the Brits. Despite his concerns when we CF'd it was a draw although I would have likely xxxxx my forces xxx the xxx and hence it would have moved to a victory for the Brits.

Very clever design and how you keep key bits of info from Germans was good. This did however lead german player to despair as he was not killing anything but little did he know that he was...

I would recommend it for HtH play and that the German player must keep going as all is not what it seems...

I will start another thread with spoilers for Ubique to allow Jim to give more feed back from his POV.

I think I mentioned some of these in my own H2H thread but I'll state them again here.

Les Charne - Good H2H scenario in the fact that it's very balanced. Allies have better use of tanks while Germs have better use of Anti-tank weapons. Fighting is confined to a small space although there are some options for flanking. 7/10.

Last Defense - Also a good H2H battle. Allies might have slight advantage on defense. If you're attacking with Germs, you better know how to use artillery effectively. 7/10.

Bloody St. Omer - Playing it now and after being only halfway into the battle, I can already say that Germans have the advantage on defense. There are deadly surprises waiting for the Allies, ones you would not expect as there are no warnings in the briefing. Other than that, the map is very well made and more interesting than the other two. 8/10 (so far)

Edited by Colonel_Deadmarsh

Hi Colonel,

Thanks for the suggestions, always good to know some more to play.

We are going to try MG Counter Atack at Son, based upon feedback at the Blitz site...

http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/mg-counterattack-at-son/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=3715

Also another one that looks like it might be good is MG Green Hell

http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/mg-green-hell/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=3711

This would seem to favour Yanks but has good comments re map.

Re Last Defence I played that and lost as Germans, I raised concerns re the Bocage Line which like you I struggled with ID it as bocage and not hedge, I have since learnt. The map design is good apart from the long line of bocage that you can not get through, this messed me up as did my failure to use Arty effectively...

So I would warn players taking the Germans to think hard about apporach and use of arty...

I will consider Les Charne and I have downloaded Bloody St Omer from Fred but just having a quick look at the map not sure I have ever played it, maybe one to try out in future, would be good to know how you think about it after you have played it through...

About 21 game minutes into game and we have hit serious issue with the bridge over the canal. It can not be crossed by armour. This really affects the scenario so if you do play HtH be aware. Might be best to give it a miss. Shame as it was shaping up to be an epic scenario.

This relates to MG counter attack at Son

Edited by Holien

*************** WARNING: SPOILERS FOR LAST DEFENSE ******************

Re Last Defence I played that and lost as Germans, I raised concerns re the Bocage Line which like you I struggled with ID it as bocage and not hedge, I have since learnt. The map design is good apart from the long line of bocage that you can not get through, this messed me up as did my failure to use Arty effectively...

I knew it was low bocage. What I didn't know was that there weren't any openings in it for infantry to get through. What look to be small gaps were merely graphical mirages which can really mess with newbies' heads. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update on Last Bridge at Son..

We have finished the game and my Oppo CF'd around the 56 min mark (left in game).

I think this is a game worth playing as H2H and I quite enjoyed the challenge as Allied player.

Some reservations...

1. The version in the base game has a bridge that Armour can not use, this does affect game play but not as much as I origionally thought (after seeing each sides VP requirements). So either get the version that has been updated with a tank capable brideg or be prepared for German tanks to stay on one side and Allied on the other. This depending on how the Allied player uses his tanks might swing it to the Germans advanatge.

2. There is a key bridge that the Germans can use but we hit the Bridge Bug and the German player lost two vehicles stuck in the bridge. This p***ed of my oppo and took a lot of the shine off the game. Either wait for Bridge bug to be fixed or just be careful and accept the game limitations.

3. The Game is 2 Hrs plus and the map is massive. I won't give any more away but there are limitations with this and some advantages. I will expound on a thread with spoilers...

So I really enjoyed the challenge and I think for two players who know one another it is worth exploring.

Right once my Oppo rests I will see if I can get him to play MG Green Hell... (that or when I get Fibre in 2 weeks I will be off to play CMBS and that looks like fun....)

• 1 month later...

Just played Amfreville and what a cracker IMO. This scenario if you like large maps is a beauty.

Map based on real area just off the beaches and real situation.

Seemed OK for balance IMO but I did get Major victory and my oppo thought he had short end of the stick...

I would love to play it from German POV if anyone out there wants a crack at it. Obviously open it up as now I have played it I know exactly what the Allies get. I do think it still can be played agin as lots of choices for both players to make.

Highly recommended from my POV...

A great scenario for H2H play in the MG Mod is "Borderland"

++++++++++++++Spoliers++++++++++++++++++

This is a mainly infantry contest (Germans get three small tanks) simulating the shrinking British pocket at Oosterbeeck.

Heavily wooded terrain with small villages and buildings scattered about. Deadly close quarter fighting. I suffered shocking losses as German player...you just keep walking into one ambush after another. So much fun! Probably easier for the Germans against the AI, but smart human defender (which I had) makes every inch of ground forward a deadly chore.

A great scenario for H2H play in the MG Mod is "Borderland"

Good to hear you enjoyed Borderland as it was designed to be played primarily as vs the AI. I did always hope however that the forces and terrain would make it half decent for HtH

Thanks for taking the time to comment

P

as vs the AI

Who vs the AI?

I agree - and while the Germans have been suffering it is no cake walk for the British paras either.  This "little tanks" sure seem big when all you have to deal with them is this little tube thing and no protection.  For me as the Brits dealing with those tanks was nail biting and withdrawing from objectives was hard - but the right thing to do.  My counter attacks are getting no where so the Germans can use the woods to their advantage too.

Who vs the AI?

The scenario was designed to be played mainly as British vs AI first and foremost, with the Germans having enough forces when attacking to make it viabe for the AI as an attacking force.

However the AI is always pretty robust on defence and the depth of defence gives it a good chance against a human attacker.

I suspect it's this ability to play well vs the AI from both sides that makes it a decent candidate for HtH play

P

Edited by Pete Wenman