Designated 'Marksmen'

Hello again friends, more questions from my feeble CM understanding...

So, regarding these 'marksmen' in rifle squads... what exactly is their "use" other than helping spot with a scoped rifle? (I'm assuming they aid in spotting, from prior threads on the forum.)

I have read through the "sniper" posts and understand their differences.

I can't split the marksmen out to a two man team for tactical purposes, so I'm unsure of how to best weild this asset?

I've also noticed that they, being the actual marksman, are usually among the first soldiers down in a given squad. Maybe this is just a random lack of luck for the marksman or maybe he is firing before the rest of his squad and therefore spotted first? I haven't watched too many replays of how and where the marksmen perish but just a passing observation on my part.

Well basically just wondering if I'm missing their use or a better use rather than deploying them as any other rifle squad.

Thank you.

So, regarding these 'marksmen' in rifle squads... what exactly is their "use" other than helping spot with a scoped rifle? (I'm assuming they aid in spotting, from prior threads on the forum.)

They're better at longer range than the rest of the riflement in a squad, I'd guess. Other than that, pretty much no special tactics spring to mind.

I can't split the marksmen out to a two man team for tactical purposes, so I'm unsure of how to best weild this asset?

Just let it do its job as part of a rifle squad or team, I reckon.

I've also noticed that they, being the actual marksman, are usually among the first soldiers down in a given squad. Maybe this is just a random lack of luck...

More likely it's your confirmation bias. Perfectly understandable human reaction, but I see the opposite: scoped rifle boys die less often than their standard rifle squadmates.

Their effectiveness varies widely with the unit experience level/suppression, but mostly you just let them do their thing, putting down a little more accurate fire as part of an overwatch team.

If you have an above average skill (like veteran) and unsuppressed team, they seem like they can be pretty accurate. In that case give the team with marksman the longest sector to cover or use them for harassing fire/engaging guys in cover.

Since sniper's don't get any special bonuses, a marksman and sniper of the same skill level should be about the same accuracy wise (to provide some frame of reference if you've used the snipers).

They're in the game because they were in the squad in the real world. That doesn't mean they're particularly useful. ;) Its been awhile since I've done anything that looks like testing, but I believe your marksman has a greater chance of dropping a MG or AT gun crewmember, Scoped rifles seem to be death to crew served weapons.

When the guy is a part of a Squad, think of him as just a bit better at long range accuracy than the others in the Squad. Partly because of training/experience, partly because of the scope on his rifle (assuming he hasn't picked up a different weapon).

When the guy is part of a dedicated Sniper Team, well... that's a little different. In this case you should use the Team as a Sniper Team should be used. Put it in a good position with clear LOS/LOF of probable enemy approaches. Let it crack off a few shots and then relocate it before someone figures out where the fire is coming from.

Steve

They're in the game because they were in the squad in the real world.

But were they in every squad? I always had the impression that it was more like one per platoon. In fact, so far in my readings, almost the only mention of them I've come across involves "losing" the Springfield in favor of a Garand.

Michael

But were they in every squad? I always had the impression that it was more like one per platoon. In fact, so far in my readings, almost the only mention of them I've come across involves "losing" the Springfield in favor of a Garand.

There shouldn't be one in every squad in the game now. The US have a more likely chance of getting one than the Germans, but it should be rare that all three Squads in a single Platoon have them.

Keep in mind the use of the Springfield varied from regiment to regiment. Some of the vets from NA/Italy were not happy about giving up their Springfields, for example. There was an entire Division, IIRC, that only got their Garands a few months before going into Normandy. And even then only enough to outfit the Rifle Squads. Rear units were left with the Springfields for a considerable amount of time (Fall of 1944). Replacement in Italy was spotty as NW Europe was given priority.

Steve

There was an entire Division, IIRC, that only got their Garands a few months before going into Normandy. And even then only enough to outfit the Rifle Squads. Rear units were left with the Springfields for a considerable amount of time (Fall of 1944). Replacement in Italy was spotty as NW Europe was given priority.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. As written, it appears to be saying that as late as spring of 1944 there was a division whose entire complement of riflemen were armed with Springfields. But were you only meaning to refer to the marksmen?

Michael