Installing Mods

Hi, New computer, running Win 7. Just thought I'd try some Old games - the three CM's. They run beautifully! Also found GreenAsJade's CM Mod Warehouse. My question is - How do I go about installing these Mods? Can anyone help, please? Must admit, I love these games! AND Mods too!!

innerlander

Hello Innerlander,

What I normally do is download the Mod files into a new folder ( rename the folder Mods if you want ) and have that folder located in the CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK folders ( the area that has BMP, Wav, Scenarios, PBEM, etc all showing ).

Then, open that Mod folder and copy and paste the BMP files ( uniforms, vehicles, small arms, battlefield scenics, etc ) directly into the BMP folder. If your Mod folder has Wav files then copy and paste the files directly into your Wav folder.

Now, if the Mod has a letter at the end ( there may be 2 or 3 Mod files of the same Mod but with different letters...a-b-c ), you will need to delete that letter so it matches the old stock file ( decide which Mod file you like better, and delete the rest ). I would do this before you start the copy and paste procedure.

After all the above is done just delete the Mod files in the Mod folder ( if you want to save hard-drive space ), but keep the Mod folder for future install of mods.

Remember to back-up your old stock files incase you dont like the new mods.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Thanx, Joe

"Remember to back-up your old stock files in case you dont like the new mods." Yes, VERY important!

So long as space isn't a problem, or you have a large capacity flash drive, I would save your vanilla out of the box bmp and wav folders to a backup location. That way you can always find the originals.

There are also times when you want to use a massive mod that changes the entire look of the game for a particular theater like (say) The Ardennes. In this case it's worth creating a completely new bmp folder labeled (for example) "ARDENNES BMP" and put ALL the mods that pertain to that battle in that folder - replacing all the original bmps that were there.

It is then easy to rename your regular bmp or wav folders to (say) "BMP ORIGINAL" and then rename the "ARDENNES BMP" to simply bmp. Abracadabra, you have changed the whole look of CM in only a few seconds. CM1 is very elegant in this way.