Random questions

tyrspawn

1. Is it possible to play co-op versus the AI?

2. Is it possible to play with more than 2 players without an umpire, or for the umpire to function as a player? I noticed you can issue orders to any side as the umpire, but it is quite cheesy due to unlimited line of sight and no fog of war.

3. I tried to connect to my own server with a 2nd copy of tacops running, and the map was blank. Any suggestions on how to get 3 people playing together without forcing one player to be an umpire?

• 2 weeks later...

> 1. Is it possible to play co-op versus the AI?

Note that this only works for factory provided scenarios that include an AI opponent.

Do the following if you want to umpire/host a Multiplayer game session where

the humans go against the AI instead of against each other.

The hidden feature mentioned below is a quick hack that I did some years ago for development and testing. It was never exhaustively tested by myself but has been used a lot by military users without complaint.

Note that the umpire is the only participant in a multiplayer game who does

what is below. Everyone else starts up normally.

Run TacOps as the host/umpire. Skip through the splash screen. When the game start up window appears click in the lower left corner (just inboard of the decorative window border) of the game startup window while holding down the Shift key and the Alt key. If you hit the correct place you will see an alert window that says "g_umpireUsingAI is TRUE". If you get an alert that says "g_umpireUsingAI is FALSE" then repeat the click until you get the correct alert.

There is another place in the program where you can also turn this feature on and off.

Select the "Network/More Network Tools" menu item. In the window which will then appear, click in the lower left corner (just inboard of the decorative window border) while holding down the Shift key and the Alt key. If you hit the correct place you will see an alert window that says either "g_umpireUsingAI is TRUE" or "g_umpireUsingAI is FALSE".

> 2. Is it possible to play with more than 2 players without an umpire, or

> for the umpire to function as a player?

No, except for the hack explained above.

> 3. I tried to connect to my own server with a 2nd copy of tacops

> running, and the map was blank. Any suggestions on how to get 3 people

> playing together without forcing one player to be an umpire?

Were you running both iterations on the same computer? If so, that won't work reliably. You need to have a separate computer on your home network for each iteration of TacOps. This is not a copy protection thing, it is an issue with shared memory and resources on a single computer running two iterations of the program simultaneously.

Best regards, Major H