Operational Combat Mission

Below is a link to the latest version of my system showing any prospective umpires how to create and run an operation by combining Combat Mission with the game series John Tillers Panzer Campaigns.

John Tillers Panzer Campaigns covers most theatres of WW2 and therefore can be used with any current WW2 version of Combat Mission.

It looks rather complex. Considering your system requires an umpire, would not a relatively simple cardboard game serve you better?

Complexity is relative, compared to other paper operation systems ive seen this is much simpler, im running an operation using this sytem in a game with 7 players per side and it took 10 days from getting the team members together to the first round of CM battles.

Once the players are familiar with the unit identification system its then just a matter of them drawing arrows on hex maps using a basic paint package and the umpire providing screenshots of the LOS from whatever positions the players request and the reachable hexes for each players units, and even the reachable hex screenshots could be dispensed with if the players trust the umpire to move their units correctly as long as they give a final destination position.

Which cardboard game did you have in mind ?

I knew you'd ask that question... The problem is that as an old time cardboard player for decades I have literally hundreds stacked up here and in storage, most that I haven't yet played as computers took over around 15 years ago. So, I don't recall the names. But, I do recall systems that could work eg Panzerblitz, and there are SO many Normandy games let alone other theaters.

It may be worth checking out GMT Games, Decision Games, Shrapnel, SSG, Panther, The Gamers/MultiMan Publishing and some of the many new companies that have sprung up. Personally, I think using one of the AREA MOVEMENT games (I think AH put out one called "Normandy") would be easiest method of accomplishing your goal.

However, whatever you do, I hope you are successful. CM Campaigns would have given CM1 such a great new dimension that is arguably even more absent in CM2.

I knew you'd ask that question... The problem is that as an old time cardboard player for decades I have literally hundreds stacked up here and in storage, most that I haven't yet played as computers took over around 15 years ago. So, I don't recall the names. But, I do recall systems that could work eg Panzerblitz, and there are SO many Normandy games let alone other theaters.

No matter which way you look at it a paper campaign cannot automatically workout a units operational LOS, how far a unit can move, if its in or out of supply and hidden movement so they will always be inferior to operational PC games when it comes to time taken to process operational moves and calculate status.

It may be worth checking out GMT Games, Decision Games, Shrapnel, SSG, Panther, The Gamers/MultiMan Publishing and some of the many new companies that have sprung up. Personally, I think using one of the AREA MOVEMENT games (I think AH put out one called "Normandy") would be easiest method of accomplishing your goal.

I did and the manual to one of the GMT Eastern Front games had about ten times more text than my system so unless the other games you mention have considerably less text to wade through i still claim to have a simpler system.

However, whatever you do, I hope you are successful. CM Campaigns would have given CM1 such a great new dimension that is arguably even more absent in CM2.

I am doing an opertion and it is successful at the moment, and when its over i will write it up so peope can see how it worked in practice, plus there will be feedback from the participants of which there are fourteen.