A few minor/ general questions...

Good day everyone,

I'm a complete noob to CM games and CM:BN is going to be my first purchase of the series.

First off, compliments to Battlefront and the game designers/ developers. Also, what a great forum here. So many times on other forums... well, you all know how it goes... they turn out to be not so helpful. I learned quite a bit just reading through, needless to say, it helps!

Some small questions that probably are obvious but I couldn't find in the manual or reading through the threads. (I've covered almost 35 pages of the forum here but not all 55+, to try to get 'up to speed')

1.) I have the demo downloaded... do I have to uninstall the demo to download the full game when I purchase it? I'm sure it will write over and complete the full game when downloaded, however I just want to be sure which way is best?

2.)Regarding TRPs (I think those are the correct abbreviations? If not, the pre-artillery barage point location helpers). How do I go about setting those before I begin battle? Are they available in scenarios, as well as campaigns? Or just H-to-H battles? I wasn't clear on their availability or how to use.

Many thanks for your time in helping me out.

A few final comments: This is my first WWII RTS/ TBS (depending on how I play) game purchase since Talonsoft's Rising Sun (I own the Eastern Front/ Western Front games as well). The demo of CM:BN I found to be amazing, so it is defenitely worthy of my money and time. This may be the most impressive tactical WWII game I've ever had the chance of playing.

Welcome to the fight!

#2 TRPs are like fixed placements but can be positioned anywhere on the battlefield. You get to place them at deployment.

And this forum (and SF) are a wealth of info. (minus the insult hurling peng threads which are amusing) High five :)

Edit: the interface may be a bit of a shock. There are a few of normandy related AARs now on YouTube, that may ease the transition.

#2 TRPs will not be available in every battle. It's up to the scenario/campaign designer if you get them or not. In Quick Battles, they must be purchased (under the Fortifications category), but will not be available in certain battle types such as "Meeting Engagements".

Welcome.

Don't think of CM as a game. Think of it as a WW2 combat simulation. Prepare to spend a lot of time learning the interface. This isn't like any computer game you have ever played before. Good luck. I've been playing since CMBO was first released, and ... sadly... I still suck at it.

The full game is a separate intall. You get to keep the demo! Which is good, because if you want to play any of the demo scenarios with another demo user you need to be using the demo install. I can't recall whether there are actually full game versions of all the demo scenarios, but even if they are, if you're introducing someone to the demo, it's potentially useful to have it available so you can play against them before they've bought the full game.

TRPs are purchasable items in Quick Battles, and may be present in the OB of any scenario or campaign scenario (wouldn't make much sense for them to be in the 'campaign OB'/core units... :) ). Doesn't make any difference whether you're playing against AI or human opposition. You set their location during the setup/initial orders phase; they can be anywhere on the map, not just in your setup zone, and if they're part of a scenario, being placed outside your setup zone by the designer doesn't mean you can't move them around.

Welcome to the board,

I deleted the demo and then installed CMBN. Just to be sure . Always do it that way.

For 150 points you get 10 TRP's ( TargetReferencePoint ). You can place them anywhere you want. They shorten the response time for artillery drastically.

And I think they are a bit cheap, compared to the power you can wield with them.

Hi Dellinger. You're going to love CM. I'd ventured here from the Campaign Series. Tried CMBO Demo and never looked back. Got to say though, those were really great games for a first transition from board to puter.

#1. You don't have to delete the Demo, it will write to a separate folder. The demo missions aren't on the stock game, though they're available for DL on the Depository here.

#2. The availability of TRPs depend upon the design of the scenario or campaign. In quick battles, you purchase them.

The hardest lesson so far and the best thing I have observed about the game... casualties are going to happen, there is 'no best' way to approach the objective(s). There are 'better ways', just not 'best ways'.

Definitely true.

Suppressive fire and smoke are your friends whenever and wherever possible.