WIP: The Italian Campaign Mod

sdp

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, this is not replacing the basic pack. Combine this pack with the sdp_ITA_basic pack for scenarios covering the Sicilian Campaign and the Salerno landings. (july 43' to sept 43').

The terrain in this pack is mainly suitable for Southern Italy - it gives a far to dry and dusty look to work well for other parts of Italy. For summertime scenarios taking place post april 44' in the Italian Campaign I'd advice you to use just the sdp_ITA_basic pack (ie keeping the stock terrain for Normandy).

Nope, this is not replacing the basic pack. Combine this pack with the sdp_ITA_basic pack for scenarios covering the Sicilian Campaign and the Salerno landings. (july 43' to sept 43').

The terrain in this pack is mainly suitable for Southern Italy - it gives a far to dry and dusty look to work well for other parts of Italy. For summertime scenarios taking place post april 44' in the Italian Campaign I'd advice you to use just the sdp_ITA_basic pack (ie keeping the stock terrain for Normandy).

Wow.. Im sort of confused... you can have both Terrain types when you load the game?

Wow.. Im sort of confused... you can have both Terrain types when you load the game?

IIRC the way his current mod works is that it comes with two terrain types already (one for winter, one for less arid summer than what he's been working on here) and when you put things in your Z folder you exclude the terrain types that you don't want. So you can't have both types when you load the game, but you can pick and alternate between times you load the game.

IIRC the way his current mod works is that it comes with two terrain types already (one for winter, one for less arid summer than what he's been working on here) and when you put things in your Z folder you exclude the terrain types that you don't want. So you can't have both types when you load the game, but you can pick and alternate between times you load the game.

Copy that Blucher.... but just in case Im slow without my second cup of coffee...

So you put his mod in the Z folder with all the rest... Load game, then basically when you create your own maps it will be for this Winter or dry Italian setting? Then when you want to go back to the "Normandy" settings, just simply take out his mod from your Z folder and place it in your folder or whatever on your desktop?

I have not been that savvy on mods and how they work, I have always been afraid of deleting or overiding something to destroy the original game.. LOL

The big advantage of the Z folder system is that you can always remove everything in it to get back to the default game.

I think that you could put ALL the Italian mod folders and files into one folder called (say) ZZITALIAN MODS, and that should override all other mods in the Z folder (assuming you do not have other folders/files called ZZZsomething - in which case the mod with the most "Z's" in the name will be loaded last).

(Can someone confirm or correct my supposition?)

The big advantage of the Z folder system is that you can always remove everything in it to get back to the default game.

I think that you could put ALL the Italian mod folders and files into one folder called (say) ZZITALIAN MODS, and that should override all other mods in the Z folder (assuming you do not have other folders/files called ZZZsomething - in which case the mod with the most "Z's" in the name will be loaded last).

(Can someone confirm or correct my supposition?)

Ahh... ok that makes sense, thanks Erwin.. I think this weekend Im going to brave it and download my first set of Mods...

Explosions, flames, and sounds... and I think there was a tracer mod.... just to see if I can get it working.

I do need to create a "Z" Folder... I will check the "How to do Mods section again. Thanks for the assist.... damn this game is just great!! and everyone is extremely helpful.

The mod packs (or any other mods for that matter) don't do anything to your default graphics as long as you put them in the Z folder.

Use the mod packs for the Italian Campaign thus;

1. sdp_ITA_basic pack

- to change the look of the houses, walls and some of the trees. Nothing else is affected. The terrain doesn't change.

(this will be suitable for summertime scenarios for the Italian Campaign post apr 44').

2. sdp_ITA_basic pack + sdp_ITA_winter terrain

- to change the look of the houses, walls and the terrain.

(this will be suitable for wintertime scenarios for the Italian Campaign, regardless of year).

3. sdp_ITA_basic pack + sdp_ITA_southernitaly_summer

-to change the look of the houses, walls and terrain

(this is suitable for july - september scenarios in southern Italy = Sicily and Salerno).

By removing the ITA folders from your Z folder the game will change looks back to Normandy.

The basic pack (1) can be combined with any other terrain mod of your choice - you can try Veins, Fleshs or Aristoteles Terrain Mod to see which one you prefer if you like. One at a time though ;-)

As long as you use the Z folder nothing can go wrong.

The mod packs (or any other mods for that matter) don't do anything to your default graphics as long as you put them in the Z folder.

Use the mod packs for the Italian Campaign thus;

1. sdp_ITA_basic pack

- to change the look of the houses, walls and some of the trees. Nothing else is affected. The terrain doesn't change.

(this will be suitable for summertime scenarios for the Italian Campaign post apr 44').

2. sdp_ITA_basic pack + sdp_ITA_winter terrain

- to change the look of the houses, walls and the terrain.

(this will be suitable for wintertime scenarios for the Italian Campaign, regardless of year).

3. sdp_ITA_basic pack + sdp_ITA_southernitaly_summer

-to change the look of the houses, walls and terrain

(this is suitable for july - september scenarios in southern Italy = Sicily and Salerno).

By removing the ITA folders from your Z folder the game will change looks back to Normandy.

The basic pack (1) can be combined with any other terrain mod of your choice - you can try Veins, Fleshs or Aristoteles Terrain Mod to see which one you prefer if you like. One at a time though ;-)

As long as you use the Z folder nothing can go wrong.

Copy that... looks like I will be adhering mods this weekend, thanks for the help. :)

sdp: Just to clarify, can we put all three of your Italian mods (listed in the previous post) in the same (say) "ZZZITALIAN MOD" folder and have them work ok, or do they conflict with each other?

Or, should we only use one of your 3 Italian mods at a time depending on scenario seasonal requirements?

sdp: Just to clarify, can we put all three of your Italian mods (listed in the previous post) in the same (say) "ZZZITALIAN MOD" folder and have them work ok, or do they conflict with each other?

Or, should we only use one of your 3 Italian mods at a time depending on scenario seasonal requirements?

I'm not going to speak for sdp here, but I strongly doubt you can use all three at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys! The maps in the QB packs are all fictional - but they're designed to represent typical Italian landscape types; the rural ones have rolling hills, fields of crop and small patches of olive groves, a type of landscape commonly found in the province of Lazio and Molise-Abbruzzo-Marche provinces on the Adriatic Coast. As some of you may have discovered by now, olive groves provide for some interesting tactical challenges - mainly because of how they affect LOS/LOF.

The fighting at San Pietro, Monte Cassino and in the Liri Valley took place in Lazio, while the Eighth Army fought east of the Apennine Mountain range in the other provinces mentioned.

Some QB maps are of the "Hills" type, with rocky and brushy terrain that hopefully will work well to represent the mountainous area where figthing took place.

A few maps are flat and criss-crossed by canals and ditches - those are primarily intended for the Anzio area.

I haven't done any QB maps that represent Southern Italy specifically - you may of course use the maps as you see fit, but there aren't any typically Sicilian landscapes in the QB packs. Yet.

In the updated/revised v2 of QBPACK I I'm finishing up right now –as in the following packs -there will be tips for which province/campaign/operation the QB maps may represent.

Thanks for the specifics on the maps. If you're accepting any requests/suggestions on future ones, I'd really love to see any from the 10th Mountain Division's final campaign in early 1945: Riva Ridge, Mt. Belvedere, the final hills of the Appenines and then the breakout/pursuit into the Po Valley toward Lake Garda.