Psychic link to company HQ?

Can someone please explain the following:

(Allied, dismounted armoured infantry)

All my units are under command of a company HQ.

The company HQ has the only radio.

The company HQ is next to one of the two 60mm mortar teams.

I place a rifle platoon HQ (no radio) out of contact of the company HQ and out of contact with both the 60mm on-map mortars.

The platoon HQ can still request a fire mission from the mortar team next to the company HQ. It can also call off-map artillery.

What is happening here?

Also, do vehicles have radios despite having no radio equipment icon?

Hmmm... I take it you've already checked to make sure that the platoon HQ isn't able to "borrow" a radio connection by being in near to a vehicle with a radio?

As far as I've seen, if vehicle has a radio, it's specifically marked in the equipment. Be aware that vehicles sometimes temporarily lose the radio C2 connection while moving (but it still shows as part of the vehicle's equipment).

None of the vehicles have radio icons (and none can call artillery), but some appear to be in radio contact with the company HQ - strange.

This doesn't explain my previous issue as the platoon HQ is far, far away from any vehicle.

Could it be that armoured infantry somehow retain a hidden radio when dismounted?

None of the vehicles have radio icons (and none can call artillery), but some appear to be in radio contact with the company HQ - strange.

This doesn't explain my previous issue as the platoon HQ is far, far away from any vehicle.

Could it be that armoured infantry somehow retain a hidden radio when dismounted?

Assuming that the situation is as you describe (and I have no reason not to) this sounds like a bug, and if you could send a saved game file to BFC I'm sure they would like to take a look at it.

Michael

It might be a real bug. It seems I recall playing a game and having radios disappear from the halftrack equip list, though I knew they had them, later in the game, the symbol was back. but as mentioned, you need to send saved files to help with such issues if they are present.

You might be right about the vehicles:

Actually, as long as a halftrack (with driver, no occupants, no radio) is next to the mortar team then the out of contact platoon HQ can call fire from that mortar.

But, and it's a big but - The platoon HQ has no contact with the mortar, the halftrack or the company HQ.

So - as long as a vehicle (no radio needed) is next to a mortar team then any out of contact HQ can access its fire mission.

Additionally the platoon HQ can contact the off-map artillery too. It must be a hidden radio. Or a bug where CMBN thinks the platoon is still within a vehicle (but the vehicle has no radio???)

Hmmm - confusing.

Vehicle radios are shown in the damage report tab of the details panel, not in the special equipment slots.

This is simply a limitation of the current system. Units are either flagged as being able to act as a spotter or not.

The statement that the HQ might be "borrowing" a radio from a nearby vehicle is incorrect. They can only use the radio of a vehicle they are mounted in. Only on-map indirect units can "borrow" a nearby vehicle radio, and then only for the purposes of receiving fire missions.

Okay, I understand what you are saying, but let me clarify...

I meant to say that none of the vehicles have the C2 needed to call fire missions. None of the vehicles are able to call on-map or off-map artillery.

Yet when a halftrack is placed next to a 60mm mortar team then a distant, totally out of contact, platoon HQ (with no radio) can call fire from that 60mm team. It is also able to call off-map artillery despite total communications isolation.

Surely there is something wrong here.

Okay, I understand what you are saying, but let me clarify...

I meant to say that none of the vehicles have the 'additional radio' needed to call fire missions. None of the vehicles are able to call on-map or off-map artillery.

Yet when a halftrack is placed next to a 60mm mortar team then a distant, totally out of contact, platoon HQ (with no radio) can call fire from that 60mm team. It is also able to call off-map artillery despite total communications isolation.

Surely there is something wrong here.

Pardon me while I quote myself:

This is simply a limitation of the current system. Units are either flagged as being able to act as a spotter or not.

Okay - yes, quote yourself by all means, but I'm still a little in the dark.

Let me try an understand what you are saying...

So long as a unit has been flagged as being able to act as a spotter then it will be able to call fire no matter what?

But then there is the caveat that a random vehicle needs to be next to the on-map mortars for this to be true?

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. The only answer that makes sense is that the unit has a radio that isn't shown in the GUI.

Well then - the mystery remains a mystery.

But those armoured infantry HQs seem to function as if they do have a radio for the purpose of calling artillery. At least I can now play the game with an understanding of their behaviour.

If this is, as you say, a limitation of the current programming then it certainly is an odd one.

It suggests that every HQ unit was designed to have access to artillery whether in possession of a radio, or not. Surely not the hardest bit of coding to tweak?

Okay. Rather than me constantly trying to guess...

What is this the limitation that you speak of?

I'm only asking because if you put the company HQ next to the mortars then the (no radio, out of contact) platoon HQ cannot use the mortars. But put any vehicle next to them and the platoon HQ can call them.

C2 is sometimes little odd. If you buy infantry company and platoon of on-map mortars with HQ, you cannot order artillery by radio (from company hq).

I have made few scenarios and this is big problem. I rounded the problem by removing whole mortar platoon and purchasing mortar squads directly under company HQ. Now the problem is that mortar teams do not have HQ so no radio for them. But if I keep company HQ (with radio) near them I can order mortar fire from platoon HQs or with dedicated forward observer. It works even if I keep forward observer near them, so platoon and company hq can order fire from any distance.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=97507&highlight=indirect+fire

Kinda strange to promote my own old thread this way...

It describes the "as is" mechanics of C2 with pointing out some of the inconsistencies.

Thanks for the link and the comprehensive explanation.

I guess the problem I was having falls under SR2:

"SR-2: Any operational, radio equipped vehicle, whether it is dismounted or occupied, in a radius up to 20m to an onboard artillery unit will enable all HQ or FO units to call in indirect fire from that artillery unit, regardless of LOS or C2 contact."

That said, I'm still trying to work out how a platoon HQ (with no radio, and out of contact) is able to call off-map artillery. I'm sure it must be in your explanation somewhere.

Thanks for the link and the comprehensive explanation.

I guess the problem I was having falls under SR2:

"SR-2: Any operational, radio equipped vehicle, whether it is dismounted or occupied, in a radius up to 20m to an onboard artillery unit will enable all HQ or FO units to call in indirect fire from that artillery unit, regardless of LOS or C2 contact."

That said, I'm still trying to work out how a platoon HQ (with no radio, and out of contact) is able to call off-map artillery. I'm sure it must be in your explanation somewhere.

It is in there:

Offboard artillery is available to all FO and HQ units regardless of their C2 status.

But the "how" is as I stated before: a limitation of the game's call for fire system.