What prevents cheating in PBEM now

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No you're right, it's not complicated.

So long as we all stick with your interpretation, it's simple.

Now, don't worry, that was a joke right there! ;)

Should have asked him, what test he has done, how can we rely on that statement as being protrayed as fact. Should we not stay within what science has proven, and so on and so on.:eek:

Why did I do that, I will just invoke more Wrath

Actually, I do agree with that statement in general, but the interesting thing is, many people get past a feeling of guilt, once they have repeated a act many times. So someone in otherwords can cheat, without any feelings of guilt what so ever. because it has become just part of their general way of life, if the act is common in their behavior, it likely is justified in the thought process.

NOW, BACK TO MY THEORY

If you protray a certain human trait within a game (like cheating) will you also protray that same attribute in real life if given similar circumstances.

you all can submit any story or event that can prove or disprove the theory. Be careful though, Noob is watching , and we do not want submissions that could be distortions of truth.

Consider this a labor of Love in helping mankind, do your part, right here on this forum

NOW, BACK TO MY THEORY

If you protray a certain human trait within a game (like cheating) will you also protray that same attribute in real life if given similar circumstances.

you all can submit any story or event that can prove or disprove the theory.

Once, about 10 years ago, when I first started playing CMBO, I bought an indestructible landing craft and put it on top of a big hill to act as a pair of eyes and to draw enemy fire (This was in a PBEM).

I have never, EVER, bought an indestructible landing craft and put it on top of a big hill to act as a pair of eyes and draw enemy fire in real life.

Nor would I!

Once, about 10 years ago, when I first started playing CMBO, I bought an indestructible landing craft and put it on top of a big hill to act as a pair of eyes and to draw enemy fire (This was in a PBEM).

I have never, EVER, bought an indestructible landing craft and put it on top of a big hill to act as a pair of eyes and draw enemy fire in real life.

Nor would I!

It comes down to conversion of the act to real life. Thus I would never trust you with a microscopic camera with signal feed to a remote recording device, it might somehow find its way into a womans restroom. Can I get a witness that Boo Radley would likely do that, lets keep this scientific please.

It comes down to conversion of the act to real life. Thus I would never trust you with a microscopic camera with signal feed to a remote recording device, it might somehow find its way into a womans restroom. Can I get a witness that Boo Radley would likely do that, lets keep this scientific please.

Wow. Quite a leap you've got there. Did you ever do the standing broad jump in Track?

So you're equating a gamey piece of subterfuge in a game to a criminal felony? By the same token, would you equate a flag rush by dismounted tank crews to armed insurrection?

And actually, I should have mentioned that I told my opponent what I'd done, so factoring in that aspect, it would be like putting a camera in a Ladies restroom... and then putting up a sign saying there was a camera in the restroom.

Sort of self-defeating.

Wow. Quite a leap you've got there. Did you ever do the standing broad jump in Track?

So you're equating a gamey piece of subterfuge in a game to a criminal felony? By the same token, would you equate a flag rush by dismounted tank crews to armed insurrection?

And actually, I should have mentioned that I told my opponent what I'd done, so factoring in that aspect, it would be like putting a camera in a Ladies restroom... and then putting up a sign saying there was a camera in the restroom.

Sort of self-defeating.

I just wanted to expand our minds to the possibilities.:)

OMFG, I thought after Steve posted that no you can't cheat this thread would die....instead it has several more pages??!! Wow so folks are so bored of CMBN that much already we have time for this? Or perhaps we are so worried about an opponent cheating we just can't bear to start a game.

My 2 cents? Success is figuring out how to do my **@%#&^ crown moulding by myself so it doesn't look like something my cat just deposited in the litter box. I found a compromise solution though- I paid somebody else who has a clue how to do it. Now I feel successful. Is that cheating? :D

OMFG, I thought after Steve posted that no you can't cheat this thread would die....instead it has several more pages??!! Wow so folks are so bored of CMBN that much already we have time for this? Or perhaps we are so worried about an opponent cheating we just can't bear to start a game.

My 2 cents? Success is figuring out how to do my **@%#&^ crown moulding by myself so it doesn't look like something my cat just deposited in the litter box. I found a compromise solution though- I paid somebody else who has a clue how to do it. Now I feel successful. Is that cheating? :D

Actually, I am bored, work is slow at the moment, so had nothing better to do than hit this site and continue this worthless thread.

plus the whole thing started, not so much about the concept of cheating but as to my misunderstanding on how PBEM worked since I had not done it in the new game engine yet.

As to your success and feeling good about your crown molding, just dont get a ladder and go inspect them joints too closely, you might discover that your hired help did not know what they were doing either. So view from a distance and enjoy.

Actually, I am bored, work is slow at the moment, so had nothing better to do than hit this site and continue this worthless thread.

plus the whole thing started, not so much about the concept of cheating but as to my misunderstanding on how PBEM worked since I had not done it in the new game engine yet.

As to your success and feeling good about your crown molding, just dont get a ladder and go inspect them joints too closely, you might discover that your hired help did not know what they were doing either. So view from a distance and enjoy.

LOL work slow or not is at most second best to even a bad thread on this forum.

I think getting on a ladder to inspect their work constitutes cheating, at best can only confirm my feeling of success and at worse deflate it. No sir, I will continue with my gamey sense of success and maybe hire these guys to paint the exterior next.

LOL work slow or not is at most second best to even a bad thread on this forum.

I think getting on a ladder to inspect their work constitutes cheating, at best can only confirm my feeling of success and at worse deflate it. No sir, I will continue with my gamey sense of success and maybe hire these guys to paint the exterior next.

Sounds like a good plan, I see not taking my advice is also a smart decision.

crown molding is gamey...

isn't it amazing what you learn by just being part of this forum.

We better start setting up some house rules on molding, I will not play someone again until we get this straight.

Actually, personnally, I never get to concerned when someone uses the word gamey. So, OK, you figured out a way of using something in the game to your advantage, to better your odds at winning. Then there is the cry, you stop that, thats gamey, its not a correct way to use that unit, or whatever.

The point here is, your playing a game?, it is a tool that represents you in conflict with a enemy. In real life, would you not try to find anyway you could to beat the enemy, to take advantage, so why should you not in the game. If it is unwanted, soon enough, Steve will program it away to never be seen again.

But computer games are great, there is no rules to fight over, you just play the game as it allows you to play. sure you can agree apon some house rules.

but next time you look at house rules, see if they are there to just take out gamey play, or if someone is trying to lock you into the style of play they enjoy or are very skilled at.

If I win some extra money in a poker game cause I saw your cards when you accidentally showed em with out noticing, does that mean Ill forget to pick you up at the airport? How will I cheat or be untrust worthy next?

I might need to start a class 101, reading people by game play.

So you win some money from me in the poker game as you stated, well first, I would have learned nothing from you, because I did not know that is how you did it.

But say, I saw you do it, likely to another player, not myself. What conclusion can I find. Well, first I would decide you are a oppotunist, when the oppotunity was there, you used it. Was it wrong, not by your standards, because you felt it was the persons fault for showing the cards. In your mind, that is their job to prevent that.

But lets go a little deeper, now what do you do from that point on, since this person is not careful with their cards, will you now try to see them again and again, trying to get every adavntage that they make available. This is where my interest would really start. Most people would do the first act, but how many would start doing the second. what does it represent in the persons makeup.

isn't it amazing what you learn by just being part of this forum.

We better start setting up some house rules on molding, I will not play someone again until we get this straight.

I'm confused. Is the crown molding all through the house? Isn't that little overdoing it? It's like gingerbread on Victorian houses. It starts to get this overblown, Rococo feel to it.

I'm confused. Is the crown molding all through the house? Isn't that little overdoing it? It's like gingerbread on Victorian houses. It starts to get this overblown, Rococo feel to it.

He does not state that it is throughout the house. But now that we know it helps us cheat. I have crews coming to install in all rooms of my house. I have them measuring the root celler right now.

But out of curiosity I ask y'all, If your playing poker and you seem to be the only one who saw or at least noticed what card one was (for example you barely see someone get tossed a queen of hearts) as the dealer is dishing them out, do you tell everybody and have em re deal? Or what? I just try not to notice such thing cause I don't wanna be making people redeal to much....

But out of curiosity I ask y'all, If your playing poker and you seem to be the only one who saw or at least noticed what card one was (for example you barely see someone get tossed a queen of hearts) as the dealer is dishing them out, do you tell everybody and have em re deal? Or what? I just try not to notice such thing cause I don't wanna be making people redeal to much....

I am not sure, it depends on how good a job they did on their crown moulding. If it looks really professional, I'd cheat just because they deserve it. Probably hired some out of town moulding professionals or something. Jerks.

The point here is, your playing a game?, it is a tool that represents you in conflict with a enemy. In real life, would you not try to find anyway you could to beat the enemy, to take advantage, so why should you not in the game. If it is unwanted, soon enough, Steve will program it away to never be seen again

The debate over whether gamey tactics are acceptable or not demonstrates that there are obviously two types of players that play CM, the players that play CM to simulate the tactical situations of WW2, where as long as the battle conforms reasonably closely to what those players have read about in the history books they are happy irrespective of the result, then there are the players that play to win irrespective of whether their tactics were used in WW2 or not, they just want to win.

So for one type of player CM is a simulator as much as it is a game, to the other type of player its just a game.

The easiest way to avoid any friction between the two differing perspectives is for the opponents to establish which camp they belong to before a game then they will know what to expect from their opponent in the game.

In real life, would you not try to find anyway you could to beat the enemy, to take advantage, so why should you not in the game

Do you live in a war zone ?

but next time you look at house rules, see if they are there to just take out gamey play, or if someone is trying to lock you into the style of play they enjoy or are very skilled at.

You come across as being a touch paranoid, firstly you test people you say you trust to see if they are trustworthy by watching them play games to see if they cheat, and now you are implying that people that demand a certain level of historical realism could be trying to trick you into playing at a disadvantage.

You come across as being a touch paranoid, firstly you test people you say you trust to see if they are trustworthy by watching them play games to see if they cheat, and now you are implying that people that demand a certain level of historical realism could be trying to trick you into playing at a disadvantage.

Yeah really, not to mention he is considering moulding for the root cellar. I don't even have a **** ******, what a cheater!

edited for Operational Security.

I am not sure, it depends on how good a job they did on their crown moulding. If it looks really professional, I'd cheat just because they deserve it. Probably hired some out of town moulding professionals or something. Jerks.

LOl! Yeah! Its always good to check the crown molding before deciding how thoroughly you wanna trash someone.

And is it cheating for me to use my super skills that don't give you a chance?

Slysniper, when you invite out your friends and or associates to a game and catch them cheating, what do you do next? Do you talk to them about it or pretend you didn't notice but then stop asking them out or what?