Sign in to follow this  
Childress

Cover Arc question

I had a German squad hiding behind a low wall with a 70m Cover Arc. The enemy squad approaches it from 170m out in clear terrain. The hiding squad never open fire and the Amis end up walking over the wall and engaging the Germs in a close assault. I did a test scenario which confirmed this behaviour.

Does Hiding now not work with a Cover Arc? Or is it a question of LOS? I gathered that hiding troops 'peeked'. Certainly they would have eventually heard the advancing enemy platoon.

I tested a situation with a hiding, in command shreck with a Cover Arc that covered a bocage bordered road as a US squad walked by followed at 30m by a Sherman on Slow. Worked liked a charm. The Germ team let the infantry walk by and opened up on the tank, killing it.

So I'm thinking the situation with the low wall may be anomalous, or related to the reported low wall weirdness in general.

Do you mean the shreck did not shoot at the inf, althought it was inside the covered arc?

Yes, which is encouraging, although the test was more anecdotal than definitive.

I had a German squad hiding behind a low wall with a 70m Cover Arc. The enemy squad approaches it from 170m out in clear terrain. The hiding squad never open fire and the Amis end up walking over the wall and engaging the Germs in a close assault. I did a test scenario which confirmed this behaviour.

Does Hiding now not work with a Cover Arc? Or is it a question of LOS? I gathered that hiding troops 'peeked'. Certainly they would have eventually heard the advancing enemy platoon.

I think that hiding troops behind a low wall wouldn't peek enough. They seem to largely remain prone, even when their status in the bottom left says 'Spotting', so wouldn't ever get enough height to see over the wall. I suspect that hiding behind ahedge might've had different results.

But they do show a blue line emerging from the wall. I was under the impression that peeking, though it does take place, was abstracted in the sense there wasn't an extra animation showing a trooper popping up to take a gander from time to time.

But they do show a blue line emerging from the wall. I was under the impression that peeking, though it does take place, was abstracted in the sense there wasn't an extra animation showing a trooper popping up to take a gander from time to time.

Dunno, but I see troops cycling through "Spotting - Hiding" moving from prone to kneeling sometimes, but not as often as troops who're just 'Spotting' pop up onto their knees, nor as often as they switch from spotting to Hiding (sometimes there are 'spotting' troop but none kneeling). At least it seems that way.

Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Do you mean the shreck did not shoot at the inf, althought it was inside the covered arc?

Yes, which is encouraging, although the test was more anecdotal than definitive.

By encouraging I meant that the shreck team was shrewd enough ignore the grunts and wait for the closely following tank. Perfect. If the TacAI is that smart an Armour Cover Arc may be superfluous. Keeping in mind this is a single event.

One negative was that the loader appeared to open up with his pistol before the the shreck let loose. The team was Green, in command.

Sign in to follow this