Sign in to follow this  
John1966

Installing on Multiple PCs - Dumb Question (I expect)

Downloaded the full game last week (still haven't received disc) and backed it up on an external hard drive.

It just occurred to me, is there any reason why I can't install this on my laptop as well (so I can take it on holiday)?

I suppose I could just try it but I have images of Homer Simpson causing a meltdown without any radioactive material. Obviously I'm a bigger technophobe than I thought...

Thanks in advance. (And disapproving looks from my family)

Downloaded the full game last week (still haven't received disc) and backed it up on an external hard drive.

It just occurred to me, is there any reason why I can't install this on my laptop as well (so I can take it on holiday)?

I suppose I could just try it but I have images of Homer Simpson causing a meltdown without any radioactive material. Obviously I'm a bigger technophobe than I thought...

Thanks in advance. (And disapproving looks from my family)

It's explained in full in the manual on page 9. But the short gist of it is, yes you can install on two computers, but your number of activations is limited (4 to start + 1 each year). Reinstalling (as in starting the installer.exe file) can be done unlimited times, but activating the game only 4 times. Once the game has been activated on a computer, you can play on that computer (and reinstall as many times as you want). The activation will remain valid on that computer as long as you do not change dramatic things such as replacing the hard drive or the operating system.

Thanks. Looked all over the forum but didn't occur to me to look in the manual.

Just read that bit and, if I understand correctly, once it is activated on a PC it won't ask to be activated again if I reinstall it?

Also, if I purchase a new PC and laptop, the remaining activations will cover installing it on the new machines but I'll have to wait a year before I can activate again on another machine?

You have a total of four (4) activations initially with the license key. Once you activate it on a computer, you should NOT need to reactivate the game on that same computer AND same operating system. However, unlike eLicense, there is no "unlicense" feature. That means if you have a disk crash, virus infection or need to reinstall the OS, then you will likely "lose" that activation and will need to reactivate. Also hardware changes will do the same thing. Upgrades such as CPUs, motherboards and possibly video cards will "invalidate" the license key and force you to activate again (using up an activation). Memory and hard drive upgrades/replacements should not affect the license key normally (assuming you can completely copy your previous drive in the case of hard drive upgrades/replacements).

As previously mentioned you also get to add an additional activation each year (365 days) on our activation page.

Just to clarify for people like me that upgrade there bits regularly,what happens if i run out of the 4 will you reactivate me or am i stuck with a game for 12 months i cant play,just because i like to upgrade alot ??.

Just to clarify for people like me that upgrade there bits regularly,what happens if i run out of the 4 will you reactivate me or am i stuck with a game for 12 months i cant play,just because i like to upgrade alot ??.

Basically yes but the hardware check seems to be reasonably relaxed. You can exchange quite a bit of hardware without triggering a re-license.

I think the bigger problem is with people who reinstall Windows often. I know some people who kickstart every month, especially in a corporate environment. Those will be screwed, no?

Basically yes but the hardware check seems to be reasonably relaxed. You can exchange quite a bit of hardware without triggering a re-license.

I think the bigger problem is with people who reinstall Windows often. I know some people who kickstart every month, especially in a corporate environment. Those will be screwed, no?

Seems a VERY harsh way to treat paying customers,i see no reason aslong as you can prove payment/ownership why you shouldn't have infinite activations.

Because "infinite activations" means that there is no copy-protection and one person could buy the game and give it away to thousands of people.

Yes, we can add activations for customers who run out of them in situations where they have been infected, have hardware failures, etc. However if you INTENTIONALLY wipe your Windows OS on a regular basis, then you may want to rethink running CMBN or any future Battlefront games that utilize the 'Online Activation System' on those computers.

The idea behind the activation system is to allow ONE computer to run the game and have up to three additional activations if something goes wrong. Many people however run the game on more than one computer and thus will be using more activations concurrently. This poses a problem if they have issues and have to reactivate the game. Again we can add activations for legitimate reasons. But we will stop doing that for individuals who we feel are abusing the service. That's where the annual (1 year / 365 day) user initiated activation addition comes into play.

Because "infinite activations" means that there is no copy-protection and one person could buy the game and give it away to thousands of people.

Yes, we can add activations for customers who run out of them in situations where they have been infected, have hardware failures, etc. However if you INTENTIONALLY wipe your Windows OS on a regular basis, then you may want to rethink running CMBN or any future Battlefront games that utilize the 'Online Activation System' on those computers.

The idea behind the activation system is to allow ONE computer to run the game and have up to three additional activations if something goes wrong. Many people however run the game on more than one computer and thus will be using more activations concurrently. This poses a problem if they have issues and have to reactivate the game. Again we can add activations for legitimate reasons. But we will stop doing that for individuals who we feel are abusing the service. That's where the annual (1 year / 365 day) user initiated activation addition comes into play.

Wow i have to say Your customer service skills are terrible,telling people that have paid you money that they should maybe not buy your games is utter madness,i understand all the reasons for copy protection but as long as someone can prove they have PAID for a game then i see no reason why they should have to worry about activations.

Anyone who wants to get an illegal copy will get one,When you buy a car you dont have so many rides then you cant use your car.I would think it better to have infinite activations but a limit on the number of different machines you can play it on say 4,that way no activation worries but it stops people giving the game and cd key to all there friends.

Myself and many of my friends upgrade and reinstall windows on a regular basis its not that uncommon for gamers,if your going to use your system then at least introduce a revoke method.

We don't engineer the copy-protection software, but we do choose which vendor to get it from. We transitioned from eLicense to our new copy protection system primarily because the new system currently offers copy-protection for Mac OS. There are only a few copy-protection systems to pick from that have that feature (cross-platform support).

eLicense did allow for unlicensing the system before making changes and then reactivating the license. Admittedly even with that system customers would often not unlicense beforehand. The new system does not have an unlicensing feature and it will not be added to my knowledge. In its place is a system to add activations to a license key. Unfortunately this system does not take into account someone who needs/wants to reinstall their OS on a very frequent basis.

For some people reinstalling/wiping their drive is a more important issue than the licensing of a single game. If you frequently reformat/reinstall your OS (say more than 2-3 times a year), then there will come a point where we will NOT add any further activations (you will have to wait the 365 days to add your own activation). That could be extremely frustrating for some customers and it is for that reason that you may not want to purchase our game if it is more important to you to frequently reinstall your OS. The hassle isn't worth it for us or for the customer.

Yes, anyone who wants an illegal copy can search and possibly find a crack. Since we're a small developer with a small customer base, then it may take much longer before someone attempts a crack and publishes it.

We don't engineer the copy-protection software, but we do choose which vendor to get it from. We transitioned from eLicense to our new copy protection system primarily because the new system currently offers copy-protection for Mac OS. There are only a few copy-protection systems to pick from that have that feature (cross-platform support).

eLicense did allow for unlicensing the system before making changes and then reactivating the license. Admittedly even with that system customers would often not unlicense beforehand. The new system does not have an unlicensing feature and it will not be added to my knowledge. In its place is a system to add activations to a license key. Unfortunately this system does not take into account someone who needs/wants to reinstall their OS on a very frequent basis.

For some people reinstalling/wiping their drive is a more important issue than the licensing of a single game. If you frequently reformat/reinstall your OS (say more than 2-3 times a year), then there will come a point where we will NOT add any further activations (you will have to wait the 365 days to add your own activation). That could be extremely frustrating for some customers and it is for that reason that you may not want to purchase our game if it is more important to you to frequently reinstall your OS. The hassle isn't worth it for us or for the customer.

Yes, anyone who wants an illegal copy can search and possibly find a crack. Since we're a small developer with a small customer base, then it may take much longer before someone attempts a crack and publishes it.

Well as a small developer i would of thought your customer satisfaction would be the NO1 priority,as as you have said your self being a small dev people are probably not that bothered about pirating your games because of the small fan base.

As a fan of these game types(i have around 20+ war strategy games)mostly from your selves and Matrix/slitherine i do my best to support the smaller dev teams but when my possible gaming enjoyment is compromised,by the possibility of not being able to play a game i have bought then i would think again about buying your games,which im sure you'll agree is a BIG loss for ME and YOU.

But anyway i dont want to cause a big fallout so now i know and that is that,thanks for your time.

Sign in to follow this