Sign in to follow this  
tankgeezer

Vehicles Won't Follow Plotted Movement Paths.

It seems like the A.I. goes Blood-Simple when I plot an extremely long road marches (I'm on an iMac 24"). Is there some sort of limit on waypoints per turn? I plot multi-segmented paths through all turns (45° & 90°) to smooth the flow. The following vehicles in column are spaced out with pause delays & slow/move segments to start off. It usually works for the lead vehicle fairly well but the units further down the line seem to go BatSh*tKrazy on the first turn. I'm wondering if there is any differences between Mac & PC on this issue, or is the A.I. being a bit too clever for its own good? Oh; and swinging out for a turn & dropping a track/wheel into the sticky/slow stuff? It's a tank (zero turn radius); people, not an 18-Wheeler dragging a Pup!

I've been reading accounts of various battles in Normandy, and there is a surprisingly large number of anecdotes about tanks missing corners, hitting buildings, driving into ditches, etc. I guess the must have missed the lesson where "It's a tank (zero turn radius); people, not an 18-Wheeler dragging a Pup!" was covered ;)

Anyway. Vehicles in CM have momentum. If you FAST a vehicle up to a corner, then give it another FAST off in a new direction it will overrun the plotted waypoint. In an open field you probably won't even notice this happening. But on a tightly restricted road or in a village you definately will notice, and probably blame the game. As we see above ;)

Guess I'll try experimenting with Fast to Quick or Move on the turn segments in the path & see if that helps. Good manners in a convoy is critical to getting as deep as possible into the map to claim the 'Sweet Spots' for the upcoming meeting engagement. Two salient tactical points from the Civil War come to mind; get there 'firstest with the mostest' and put a 'skeer into em' (N.B.Forrest, I think)

All movement orders have momentum, but the speedier orders have more momentum. Depending on how sharp the turn is, and how tight the terrain is, you might want to drop down lower than QUICK.

With regards to convoy discipline using pauses and what not - I try and get really quite large gaps between vehicles, and make them larger as the speed increases. It can take quite a few seconds for a unit to slow down, change orientation, and get going again, and another vehicle bearing down at high speed can easily eat up what seemed like a big interval.

So one might expect that the TACAI would understand and anticipate that coming turn and then decelerate the tank to make the turn and then continue on.

It is a curious mix of what has to be minded with great detail by the player and what is suggested to leave to the TACAI

So one might expect

Experience will quickly disabuse you of that notion.

Also, your expectations are very different to mine. If I plot a series of FAST moves across open ground from one piece of cover to another I emphatically do not want my tanks to slow down at the end of each leg in order to exactly hit the turning points I've plotted. I want them to keep their speed up and get back to cover as quickly as possible. I understand that the same approach will not work in tight terrain, just as I personally drive differently on the open road as compared to surburban streets, and therefore have different expectations in different game terrain. And as a result of those different expectations, I modify my behaviour in order to get the results I want.

tldr; open ground != tight terrain. Different terrain requires different approaches.

Vehicles want a very large interval between them before they stop getting in each others' way. It only takes one to start 'giving way' to the vehicle in front for all of the column to concertina up and start looking for alternative pathings to their next waypoint, which just snowballs the whole situation as they try and go round three sides of the vehicle in the way to get to their next waypoint that's under the obstructing vehicle...

You do not want to put 90 degree turns in your waypoints unless it's absolutely, positively necessary. I did several tests and you're better off to drive three times as far and make a wide turn than you are to try to turn a corner using a 90 degree waypoint. Tanks basically stop, then turn, then start going again. If you make smooth, wide turns then the tank will just sail right through and stay on the ordered line (unless there's a tree or other obstacle that requires deviating).

Sign in to follow this